No announcement yet.

The Death Penalty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He said he supported it for the most heinous of crimes. His point, though, is that such a severe penalty should only be used if you know the defendant is guilty. You can't take the death penalty back if you're wrong.
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
      He said he supported it for the most heinous of crimes. His point, though, is that such a severe penalty should only be used if you know the defendant is guilty. You can't take the death penalty back if you're wrong.
      You'd imprison people if you're not sure if the defendant is guilty?
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Look, I'm not even for punishment of crimes. Stop making assumptions. I'm just attempting to clarify what he said.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
          Oh crap... this thread won't end well...

(FWIW, I support the death penalty only for the most heinous crimes, where there exists DNA evidence... basically where there is no question of guilt)
          Psychopaths won't be deterred by death penalty, so what does it matter to you. Does handing out revenge give you a good safe feeling?
          If you kill people you're not better than those psychos.

Oh and btw, DNA evidence isn't always conclusive.. it all depends on the specific situation
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

I'm making assumptions?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

In the United States, you are guilty if the evidence against you presents proof beyond a reasonable doubt. Those are the words. It doesn't actually say that it must be known as a fact of the universe that you are guilty. I would wish that such a standard be applied to all crimes, but if it were to be applied to any, it should to death penalty crimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                No one has ever come up with some reason that wasn't cloaked religious justification for it.

Only idiots believe in it.
                Do you know just how, I'm going to be kind here to you and some others and just say, wrong this is?
                If anything CHRISTIANS are more apt to not support.
                Go gather facts or something.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I want to thank you very much for taking the time to read my initial post.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

My statement wasn't directed at you, nor do I think it conflicts with anything you've said. But, you're welcome anyways.

Comment

I don't either. I'm serious as a heart attack.
                      You read it, analyzed it, and comprehended.
                      I truly appreciate it.

Comment

I'm just glad I'm not the executioner.. cuz if I were.. the rapists and child molesters would go first and the murderers second. Purge the system of the filth. Those that rape and pediophiles are usually repeat offenders and society is safer without them.
                        One thing you gotta ask yourself... where are you now? -- James Blunt lyrics

Comment

The South: home of capital punishment and the highest homicide rate in the "civilised" world.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand

Do you know just how, I'm going to be kind here to you and some others and just say, wrong this is?
                            If anything CHRISTIANS are more apt to not support.
                            Go gather facts or something.
                            Do you really want to bet that there isn't a positive correlation between the part of the population considering itself Christian and the part of the population which supports the death penalty?
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I certainly will.

Many quote the passage, "Vengeance is mine, sayeth the Lord".
                              That passage refers to the destination of their soul.
                              It does NOT have to do with punishment.
                              It's also written, "Spare the rod, and spoil the child".
                              As bad behavior escalates in severity, so goes the punishment.
                              You might "ground" a child for a week, as an example.
                              You might elevate to 2 weeks if it's warranted, as in perhaps doing the same act again.

How you as an "outsider" to religion can even be so bold as to tell me what the church believes is almost funny.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                                The South: home of capital punishment and the highest homicide rate in the "civilised" world.
                                The South is the birthplace of jazz, blues, gospel, soul food, all major soft drinks, Tex-Mex, Cajun food, authors such as William Faulkner and Harper Lee, NASCAR, the last three Democratic Presidents, one could go on for days...

Canada: Home of Celine Dion, Alberta, and snow.
                                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                                X