"Safer" SUVs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Safer" SUVs

It turns out that SUVs have their own inherent dangers, besides their ability to roll over, they have a huge blindspot according to CNN, sometimes a child 40 feet behind one can be in it's blind spot. CNN mentioned 2 fairly expensive solutions (and I'm sure profitable for car companies) sonar, costing hundreds, and a camera costing about a grand. Here's a cheaper solution: use a pair of mirrors together in an arrangement like a submarine periscope. The first mirror could be a conventional rearview mirror, the second, mounted on at the back of the SUV would reflect what is normally the blindspot. The second mirror would only use a part of the first's view, like a bifocal.

Even cheaper: buy an actual car
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Spiffor

Btw, where the **** have you been realpolitik? it's been ages since we've seen your head-TV ass around these parts!
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Practical cars.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Here's an even better solution: Stop watching CNN. That channel underestimates it's viewers so badly that watching it slowly melts your brains.

Comment

Been away from politikkks, finally realised that the only game in town [America] is suing your landlords, I am involved in 2 suits. Given up most political discussions to create real change.

The indictments and pending indictments of the Republican leadership and the sleaze of local landlords have convinced me that debate is not a useful tactic. Escalation and polarisation on the right have forced me to adopt this more aggressive stance.

As for SUVs, I abwhore them, too. Between rollovers, and blind spots, this just shows how bigness and aggression can be liabilities, if the neocons haven't proven that already.

I'm still on the civ boards here tho.

Comment

Just introduce the old regulations that demanded that there should walk a man in front of cars waving a red flag - In the current case there should of course also be a man behind the car.

Besides improving safety, it would also lower unemployment.
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's not the SUV that's the problem.
                It's the 5' soccer mom that drives it. That's the problem.
                Mirrors like any postal truck, UPS, etc. would suffice; but additionally, manufacturers need to include a booster chair as standard equipment.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I'm constantly amazed that SUVs are still considered different from cars and therefore subject to different (read: less) regulations.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Geez, Blackcat, why don't you take liberatarianism to it's ultimate conclusion, stop requiring seatbelts and brakes, then start a thread on how to stop a car with your feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Even cheaper: buy an actual car
                      QFT

Comment

Originally posted by realpolitic
                        Geez, Blackcat, why don't you take liberatarianism to it's ultimate conclusion, stop requiring seatbelts and brakes, then start a thread on how to stop a car with your feet.

I was actually serious - I think that SUV's is the most redicioulus car design that have ever been made for common purpose. It's a waste of resources both to build and drive.

Oh, and take both my posts with a - I know that there are a real world that isn't perfect
                        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Do you live where it snows more than a 5 minute flurry? I couldn't live in Reno during winter without my SUV, especially this past winter. I know full well it doesn't have better traction in the snow. That doesn't matter to me. What matters is the ground clearance. Bottoming out a vehicle in snow/ice sucks and sucks hard. A smart driver that knows the limitations of his/her SUV can make it a superior vehicle in snowy climates. You can rant and rave all you like about the evils of the SUV, but please do so while you're waiting for the towing company to come and tow your POS subcompact out of a snowdrift...

Edit: God I hate Californian drivers, but this past winter seeing them stuck in the snow everywhere provided a limitless source of amusement as I trudged on by at safe, controllable speed in the snow.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

I live in Canada, at the base of the Canadian Rockies, with a 2-wheel drive compact car...

Excuse me while I gag at a driver in Reno whining about snowy conditions.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
                              I was actually serious - I think that SUV's is the most redicioulus car design that have ever been made for common purpose. It's a waste of resources both to build and drive.
                              I would agree with you except you spelled it "rediculous" and therefore are damned to the 10th circle of hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X