Soda Thread Part Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drogue
    Wait, you call other soft drinks "coke"? Isn't coke just coca cola?
    Yes, except in the Southeastern states, where coke became a generic term for soft drink.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

The map shows a number of interesting facts of American cultural geography - the split in Penn between the spheres of influence of Pitt and Philly, the spheres around Milwaukee and St. Louis, the southern influence in New Mexico, and the distinctiveness of South Florida from the rest of the state.

One thing it does NOT show is a distinction between New Jersey and the rest of greater NY, firmly in the "soda belt"
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

hell, looking at the map you can even see "transchoptankia" the southern end of Marylands eastern shore, noted since the time of HL Mencken for its dixie affiliations (at that time for lynchings)

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

You suggest that I try Sundrop, then turn around and laugh at my heigthened expectations by telling me it's only available in the SE.
          We have Sundrop up here in Minnesota, clearly not the southeast.

Give me pop, or give me death!
          I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            The map shows a number of interesting facts of American cultural geography - the split in Penn between the spheres of influence of Pitt and Philly,
            Pittsburgh is the beginning of the midwest.
            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Pittsburgh is the beginning of the midwest.
              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Why the face?

Comment

I'm not sure I buy your assertion you made in regards to Pittsburgh.

Comment

I'm not sure I buy your assertion you made in regards to Pittsburgh.
                    I'm not making it up. It's a pretty common assertion. Pittsburgh marks the beginning of the shift from East to mid west. It is certainly not an "Eastern" city. It goes all the way back to the Fort Duquesne days.

Comment

I think of the Midwest as starting with the state of Ohio/Indiana -- I never thought others have lumped a western part of an Atlantic coast state with the interior region of the midwest.

Comment

I think of the Midwest as starting with the state of Ohio/Indiana -- I never thought others have lumped a western part of an Atlantic coast state with the interior region of the midwest.
                        Yeah, because it mirrors the old Colonial frontier.
                        Eastern PA and Western PA might as well be different states. Pittsburgh has more in common with Mid West cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee than it does with Philadelphia.

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Yeah, because it mirrors the old Colonial frontier.
                          Eastern PA and Western PA might as well be different states. Pittsburgh has more in common with Mid West cities like Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee than it does with Philadelphia.
                          That's true, but I can probably google other regional maps that completely exclude all of Pennsylvania when they display the Midwest separately from the other regions.

Comment

That's true, but I can probably google other regional maps that completely exclude all of Pennsylvania when they display the Midwest separately from the other regions.
                            I can google a picture of MrFun and Asher leaving a hotel room together, does it prove anything?
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Where did I say a different regional map would prove me to be correct? All I was implying was that there is more than one way to look at this.

Comment

Working...
                              X