MSNBC: US Becoming Hostile to Science?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patroklos

Based on your bone-headed posts in the Evolution thread, your isn't very convincing.

Comment

well, I opened up one of my local papers this morning and found this gem in the Letters to the Editor section:

Empirical evidence backs creationism

The dispute over creationism and evolution didn’t begin with the current intelligent design arguments, nor with Darwin’s book “On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection”. The dispute is as old as human life itself — people have always looked at the same evidence and drawn opposing explanations.

As far as historical and anthropological studies can inform us, wherever humans were found, religion appeared — evidence of a spiritual dimension to man that seeks for meaning and yearns to know what created him and the world around him. The creation — the world they saw around them — was evidence that someone or something out there should be worshipped, feared, or served.

As a Christian, I am puzzled that so many are intimidated by claims that “the scientific method” concludes that evolution theory is based on empirical facts and creation theory is based on religion — not empirical evidence. To say that belief in an intelligent, beneficent designer is not based on empirical evidence makes a mockery of millions of people throughout the ages who have accepted, as the Apostle Paul concluded, that “since the creation of the world (empirical evidence) God’s invisible qualities — his eternal power and divine nature —have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse” (Romans 1:20).

Some may continue their search for truth in test tubes and archaeological digs. And many of them will continue the ago-old error of confusing “cause and effect” argument with “correlation.” When they find simian fossils and then find other forms thought to be human remains, they believe (I say “believe”) it proves one came from the other (cause and effect) while others say, the life forms may look alike (correlation) but are just as likely both immutable species. With evidence so sketchy — still no clear examples of transitional mutations — it takes a lot of faith to believe that I came from amoebae, or frogs, or pond scum.

Call it “religion” if you like, but my belief in creation is based on empirical evidence—the wonders of nature I see all around me.

Wightman Weese

Wheaton

I love how he throws in the Bible quote.

Nothing will go to prove creationism correct more than the BIBLE!

Also, the Weese family must be tons of fun. There is a Priscilla Weese from Wheaton that writes in to the paper regularly. She usually writes about politics. She makes Ann Coulter look like Al Franken.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Fundies are stupid. Throw finches at them.
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
          Fundies are stupid. Throw finches at them.

HEY!!!

His beliefs are based on EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE!!!!

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Why am I not suprised it was from Wheaton?
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

His beliefs are based on EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE!!!!
              I laughed so hard I nearly cried!!
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                well, I opened up one of my local papers this morning and found this gem in the Letters to the Editor section:

I love how he throws in the Bible quote.

Nothing will go to prove creationism correct more than the BIBLE!

Also, the Weese family must be tons of fun. There is a Priscilla Weese from Wheaton that writes in to the paper regularly. She usually writes about politics. She makes Ann Coulter look like Al Franken.
                You asked for an example of how an ID textbook would look- well, you have provided a very good example youself
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I must live in the wrong part of America. I've lived in this country for nearly 20 years, and nowhere - not even at the church I attend quite often - have I met a Creationist. Where are they hiding them?
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Where do you live, Cyclotron? I can point you to Cobb County, GA, where they celebrated not having the Olympic Torch run through for the '96 Olympics because one of the runners...may have been gay!
                    B♭3

Comment

I live in San Rafael, across the bay from San Francisco. I go to school in Walla Walla, Washington, at a profoundly liberal school in a profoundly conservative county.
                      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                        I must live in the wrong part of America. I've lived in this country for nearly 20 years, and nowhere - not even at the church I attend quite often - have I met a Creationist. Where are they hiding them?
                        There are quite a few people in my hometown that are creationists, and a lot more, prehaps most of the people there, don't really understand what evolution is.

Comment

Are these typically older people? Or people your age? As (you are) a self-described biology nerd, I assume that at least your fellow students are reasonably well informed on this issue.

Comment

Oh, and my Hometown's Lutheran pastor got kicked out by the congregation because he supported gay civil unions. He has a biology as well as a theology degree, so ironically, he was one of the few people in town that actually understood evolution.

Comment

Oh, I know those people. We just got a new organist at our church who is gay, and one couple left the church because they thought it was terrible that the pastor accepted this. Yes, people who don't like gays, that I have met - even in San Francisco. But Creationists? Never in the flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron
                                Are these typically older people? Or people your age? As (you are) a self-described biology nerd, I assume that at least your fellow students are reasonably well informed on this issue.
                                Most people in my class accepted evolution, though only the smarter kids really "got it".

Comment

Working...
                                X