This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dis
    I won't say it's impossible. But they are going to need a defense as good as Baltimore had a few years ago. As it is now, their defense just isn't good enough.
    Not in the slightest. A defense like they had last year is sufficient enough (or the one they had before Hartwell got hurt).

Vick is a decent passer, but this critcism has made him want to 'show the world' which means he doesn't take off and make the BIG PLAY like he's used to. Like I said, there were more than a few oppertunities, where he could have turned the corner and took off, but he hesitated to look downfield and got plowed into.

Pass when he can (and he seems to be learning the West Coast offense well), but run whenever he gets an oppertunity. He's forgotten the running part.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• still... McNabb became a better QB (and philly a better team) when he passed more than ran.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis
        still... McNabb became a better QB (and philly a better team) when he passed more than ran.
        I'd argue TO made McNabb a better passer . His stats show that he was a good passer even when he was running a good deal. Last year he didn't have to do so much because Owens was always there.

Perhaps when the Falcons get an Owens like WR, we may see Vick pass more (he does pass more than run, however, it's hard not to) and for more yardage. However, remember, the Falcons running game depends on Vick. Without his yards, they aren't the "best rushing attack in the NFL" (well they aren't #1 right now, but you get my meaning).
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• McNabb's progression to more of a pocket passer was a period spanning 2-3 seasons before TO got to Philly.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The TO comment is apt, Imran. McNabb never got past the championship game until he had a stud target (which made the others more effective in single coverage). Vick needs WRs, badly. Finneran, Jenkins, Bears castoff Dez White -- these are his weapons?

Vick's a good enough passer to succeed from the pocket, but not with those idiots.

I think it's pretty well established that the odds of Vick running to the Super Bowl are relatively slight. Quite simply, he tends to get injured before he gets there.

I think these arguments about Vick tend to miss the point. QBs are expected to have skills: passing, game management, and LEADERSHIP.

I happen to believe that Vick is an excellent leader. His running skills are a bonus, but not a necessity. In 2005, my assessment of the Falcons is that they will have difficulty winning in a weakened NFC unless they can find a defense like they had last year.

But no team has really emerged in the NFC (as the Giants demonstrated today). Any of the following teams have a reasonable shot at this point:

Philly (defending champ, so I cut them a break)
            Atlanta
            NY Giants
            Seattle
            Carolina

After that, it's Washington, Tampa Bay, and... the Bears??????????????????
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• BTW, has Tom Coughlin popped a gasket yet?
              I thought he was going to explode.

Almost 400 total return yard by Minnesota.
              INT, Punt, and KO returns for TDs (249 yards right there).

The Giants gave up under 150 yards of offense.
              They gave up only 3 points on defense -- 3rd straight game without allowing an offensive TD.

AND THEY LOST.

Oh yeah, nice game, Eli -- 4 INTs.
              Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

• BTW, I guess I should add Dallas to that list, 2 posts up.
                Much as I hate to.

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  and... the Bears??????????????????

they have to be the odds on favorite at this point!!!

BTW, if Rex Grossman is healthy... the Bears are 8-1... they beat the Redskins... and they beat Cleveland. Food for thought.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

BTW, has Tom Coughlin popped a gasket yet?
                    I thought he was going to explode.

Almost 400 total return yard by Minnesota.
                    INT, Punt, and KO returns for TDs (249 yards right there).

The Giants gave up under 150 yards of offense.
                    They gave up only 3 points on defense -- 3rd straight game without allowing an offensive TD.

AND THEY LOST.

Oh yeah, nice game, Eli -- 4 INTs.
                    Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa.
                    I could only imagine what he said after the game. Unbelievable football yesterday. Between that and the Bears game. And Tampa Bay had a nice gutsy 2 point conversion at the end of their game as well.

Makes me wonder if every week some coach will try the "gutsy" play. Eventually they will start failing, and they'll go back to being a little more conservative.

Comment

• Hmm

I'm beginning to wonder if I should send in tape of me playing QB to the Steelers. Looks like they need bodies, and I can certainly hand off just as well as Tommy Maddox.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

BTW, I guess I should add Dallas to that list, 2 posts up.
                        Much as I hate to.
                        You have to.

There are only 2 teams in the top 10 on both offense and defense.

Cowboys and Colts.

ACK!
                        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

The TO comment is apt, Imran. McNabb never got past the championship game until he had a stud target (which made the others more effective in single coverage).
                          But Owens didn't play in the Championship game.... The Eagles did it without him.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• Stuie -- True dat. I guess 4th time's the charm. But I do think management bringing in TO helped convince the team they could dominate.

Tuber -- I admit to a long-standing distaste of America's Team. It started with Landry and boiled over in the Jimmy Johnson era. As for the current incarnation, I doubt they're Super Bowl ready, especially with Flozell down and Bledsoe at QB. But I must admit, the Cowboys have surprised me this year.

Comment

• I admit, I actually liked the cowboys under Jimmy Johnson.

but after they fired him for winning 2 superbowls, I despised the team. But now Bill Parcells is there, I kind of like them again. But I still miss the ole' Emitt Smith days. he absolutely dominated.

Comment

• I'm glad I didn't turn the game off.
                                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                                X