• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARTICLE: Comets Devastated Early Americans

Comets may have blasted early Americans

By MEG KINNARD
    Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A supernova could be the "quick and dirty" explanation for what may have happened to an early North American culture, a nuclear scientist in Columbia said Thursday.

Richard Firestone said at the "Clovis in the Southeast" conference that he thinks "impact regions" on mammoth tusks found in Gainey, Mich., were caused by magnetic particles rich in elements like titanium and uranium. This composition, the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory scientist said, resembles rocks that were discovered on the moon and have also been found in lunar meteorites that fell to Earth about 10,000 years ago.

Firestone said that, based on his discovery of similar material at Clovis sites, he estimates that comets struck the solar system during the Clovis period, which was roughly 13,000 years ago. These comets would have hit the Earth at 1,000 kilometers an hour, he said, obliterating many life forms and causing mutations in others.

"I'm not going to tell you that there's Clovis people on the moon, or that they had a space program," Firestone said. But these particles look "very much like the material that comes from the moon, which is the only place we've found with this same high titanium concentration."

Amateur archaeologist Richard Callaway said he was surprised by Firestone's theory.

"I've always considered myself a pretty open-minded person," Callaway said, while browsing some of the artifacts on display at the conference. "And it's kind of shocking to hear that something from the solar system could have done something like this."

Callaway, an Episcopal priest from Atlanta, said that he and his wife have volunteered at the Topper site in Allendale County for the past two summers.

"To be a part of this ... and find something no human being has touched in 15,000 years — that's something," Callaway said. "That's what I like about what we do. You don't find the next answer. You find the next question."

Earlier Thursday, University of South Carolina archaeologist Al Goodyear lectured on his discoveries at Topper, where he says he has found evidence that man existed in North America much earlier than previously thought. Goodyear showed slides of the many tools he has recovered from Topper, as well as a charcoal strip he discovered in soil two meters beneath a 16,000-year-old level of the site.

"Topper's like a box of chocolates," Goodyear said. "Every time we dig a hole, something new comes up."

As the final event of the four-day conference, partially sponsored by USC, Goodyear will lead attendees on a visit to Topper on Saturday.
    I admit that I have no idea just how "far out" this scientist might be, but if his theory is anywhere near true, do you realize what sort of implications this might have not only for humanity's past, but the cosmic neighborhood we live in as well (i.e., it may not be too friendly)?

So the Clovis period was roughly 13,000 years ago. Do you know what else has been approximately dated to that time? Atlantis. Damn near all the legends regarding Atlantis seem to point back to a time period roughly 13,000 years ago.

The bolding in the article is mine. I, too, don't think there was some ancient, high-tech, space-faring branch of humanity that got wiped out. But more and more I believe human history extends further back in time than accepted theories would allow for.

Heh. Wouldn't it be the pits if this comet activity is cyclic?

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

So the Clovis period was roughly 13,000 years ago. Do you know what else has been approximately dated to that time?
    Yes, the Tinglit of Alaska believe the Great Flood occured ~14,000 years ago. And the last ice advance reversed about that time, albeit with a 1,000 mini advance in N America when a huge glacial lake drained down the St Lawrence shutting down the conveyor belt.
    The last dated flood over the Scablands in E Washington state was ~13,000 years ago. And coastlines all over the world disappeared under water, course, that took a while in most places I imagine.

Atlantis. Damn near all the legends regarding Atlantis seem to point back to a time period roughly 13,000 years ago.

Comment

If comets did hit the Earth at ~13,000 years ago it should be quite easy to find confirming evidence. For example, large scale extinctions of animals.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Mammoths?

Comment

Gay mammoths.
          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Mammoths?
            We killed them off.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker
              Yes, the Tinglit of Alaska believe the Great Flood occured ~14,000 years ago. And the last ice advance reversed about that time, albeit with a 1,000 mini advance in N America when a huge glacial lake drained down the St Lawrence shutting down the conveyor belt.
              The last dated flood over the Scablands in E Washington state was ~13,000 years ago. And coastlines all over the world disappeared under water, course, that took a while in most places I imagine.
              Interesting, no?

Some scientists believe that the last Ice Age ended way too quickly. Perhaps some sort of natural, off-Earth activity — be it comets or otherwise — played a role in triggering something.

Gatekeeper
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                We killed them off.
                I can't provide any links — a consequence of reading raw wire copy at work and not at home in this case — but it seems like some scientists think the population of mammoths, saber-tooth cats, sloths and whatnot were already dying off by the time humanity arrived in great numbers.

If that's the case, perhaps our ancestors simply finished a process that had already been under way as a result of the alleged comet strikes.

BTW, does anyone know when Tambora (a super volcano) blew its top? Supposedly that event killed off most of our ancestors because geneticists have discovered a dramatic "narrowing" in the genetic diversity of humanity at approximately the point in history when Tambora went up. Heh. I wonder if that was roughly 13,000 to 15,000 years ago as well.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Mammoths?
                  Delicious!
                  I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

War on terror against the Moon
                    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Remains of a mammoth had been radiocarbon dated to have lived at 5,000 to 4,000 BC. The remains were found on Wrangel Island in 1993.

So the last mammoth was probably alive at the same time Egyptians were building their pyramids.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

We killed them off.
                        Actually, this is still disputed among scientists -- there is no general, unquestioned consensus on whether or not preshistoric humans were responsible for the extinctions.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Actually, this is still disputed among scientists -- there is no general, unquestioned consensus on whether or not preshistoric humans were responsible for the extinctions.

The people who think it was climate only are stupid, there were no mass extinctions of the megafauna at the beginings of other interglacials.

Comment

Remains of a mammoth had been radiocarbon dated to have lived at 5,000 to 4,000 BC. The remains were found on Wrangel Island in 1993.

So the last mammoth was probably alive at the same time Egyptians were building their pyramids.
                            Which were isolated from humans, which proves my point.

Comment

It's pretty clear that climate change along with human predation caused the extinction of most of the North American mega fauna as well as a good chunk of the North Eurasian mega fauna. Biologists have done a lot of studies and have should that relatively low rates of prediation by humans of species already under stress (from habitate loss or disease) can result in extinction spirals in aninal populations. It's also interesting that these animals survived longest on Islands which humans didn't reach until very late times. Franz Joseph Island in the Russian artic and Santarosae (the ice age mega island off the coast of California which is now 50% below sea level and the remaining mountain tops form Channel Islands National Park) both had dwarf mamoth species which survived long after the mainland species had died out but which also disappeared as soon as humans colonized the islands.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X