X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenspan is out, Bernanke is in

Bush set to tap Bernanke as Greenspan successor
    Oct 24 12:35 PM US/Eastern

President George W. Bush was to nominate his economic adviser Ben Bernanke as Federal Reserve chairman, to succeed Alan Greenspan, news reports said.

The Wall Street Journal and NBC News said Bernanke would be Bush's choice to be announced at 1:00 pm (1700 GMT) as the head of the central bank.

Greenspan is slated to leave the Fed after 18 years on January 31.

Asked at the end of a cabinet meeting on when a Fed chairman appointment would come, Bush said, "We'll make an announcement soon."

The appointment is seen as one of Bush's most important economic decisions, in finding a head of the independent central bank who is respected by US financial markets and in global economic circles.

Bernanke, 51, was a member of the Federal Reserve before leaving this year to head the president's Council of Economic Advisers.

A graduate of Harvard University, Bernanke has a Ph.D in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

He was chair of the economics department at Princeton University from 1996-2002.

Relevant part bolded.

better than his supreme court pick that's for sure
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, Shrub is rich, isn't he? His economic adviser can't be too bad.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

did things just get better or worse?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

When it's this bad already, does it matter?
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Bernanke's bio, from the White House CEA site...

Biography of Dr. Ben S. Bernanke

Dr. Ben S. Bernanke Ben S. Bernanke was sworn-in on June 21, 2005 as Chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers. Prior to his appointment to the Council, Dr. Bernanke served as a member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.

Dr. Bernanke was born on December 13, 1953, in Augusta, Georgia. He received a B.A. in economics in 1975 from Harvard University (summa *** laude) and a Ph.D. in economics in 1979 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Before becoming a member of the Board, Dr. Bernanke was the Howard Harrison and Gabrielle Snyder Beck Professor of Economics and Public Affairs and Chair of the Economics Department at Princeton University (1996-2002). Dr. Bernanke had served as a Professor of Economics and Public Affairs at Princeton since 1985.

Dr. Bernanke has published many articles on a wide variety of economic issues, including monetary policy and macroeconomics, and he is the author of several scholarly books and two textbooks. He has held a Guggenheim Fellowship and a Sloan Fellowship, and he is a Fellow of the Econometric Society and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Bernanke served as the Director of the Monetary Economics Program of the National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER) and as a member of the NBER's Business Cycle Dating Committee. Dr. Bernanke's work with civic and professional groups includes having served two terms as a member of the Montgomery Township (N.J.) Board of Education.

Dr. Bernanke and his wife, Anna, have two children.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Bernanke is very well qualified, so his ties to Bush don't really bother me at all.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Chair of the Economics Department at Princeton University (1996-2002)
                interesting... he knows Krugman then... (Krugman teaches at Princeton)... I wonder what Paul is going to say about this...
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Looks like Bush tried out all of the candidates in his administration and picked the one he thought best.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Though I LOVE how summa *** laude is semi-censored .
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                      Though I LOVE how summa *** laude is semi-censored .

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Just what we've always suspected - those lofty intellekshuls are immoral!
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                          did things just get better or worse?
                          probably no change.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                            Looks like Bush tried out all of the candidates in his administration and picked the one he thought best.
                            Golfing since 67

Comment

Summa boob laude?

Comment

Working...
                              X