A Public Service Announcement: JohnT's Guide to Quitting Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with you?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: Re: A Public Service Announcement: JohnT's Guide to Quitting Smoking

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

This is new? I've been reacting that way my entire life
      It is new. You're just a kid. The universe has 4.5-odd billion years history beyond your existence, even I am over twice your age.

I remember once seeing something on TV where the bad guy tormented the good guy by putting lit cigarettes just out of reach of the good guy (who, obviously, couldn't reach them).

Smoking was not only common, it was accepted and even pushed. Back in 1950, my father became a smoker while in the army. On his second day in boot camp, he found out that smokers got smoke breaks and non-smokers didn't. Within a week, the entire platoon was smoking.

Believe it or not, non-smokers would have ashtrays in their homes to accomodate their smoking guests. It was considered rude not to do so!

It's a totally different world today, the one you grew up in. Because this is the way you remember it doesn't mean it's the way it always was.

Comment

I know that. Note the

Comment

No you didn't. Else you wouldn't have made the statement in the manner that you did. Up until 1985-90, the anti-smoking message was the minority message, where the right to smoke was more secure than the right not to have to smoke. You look at the anti-smoking posters in school, the words in your textbooks and you think that it was always this way, that the message was LOUD and CLEAR.

It wasn't. Hell, my high school had a smoking section, where the kids who smoked would have an on-campus place to grab a puff between classes. Where's the smoking section in your school, Kuci?

I mean, yeah, go ahead and act like I missed the point if it helps you save face. I'm not really concerned with the intellectual dick-size contest that goes on here, so the point is yours.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            No you didn't. Else you wouldn't have made the statement in the manner that you did. Up until 1985-90, the anti-smoking message was the minority message, where the right to smoke was more secure than the right not to have to smoke. You look at the anti-smoking posters in school, the words in your textbooks and you think that it was always this way, that the message was LOUD and CLEAR.
            No, I don't.

It wasn't. Hell, my high school had a smoking section, where the kids who smoked would have an on-campus place to grab a puff between classes. Where's the smoking section in your school, Kuci?

I knew about that, too. Give kids a little credit for actually listening to their parents...

I mean, yeah, go ahead and act like I missed the point if it helps you save face. I'm not really concerned with the intellectual dick-size contest that goes on here, so the point is yours.
            Someone's upset...

Comment

I smoked cigarettes for 2 years...

quit cold turkey one day...

I was just spending too much money on it...
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I was just thinking about starting to smoke, maybe not.
                "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Not starting
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    It wasn't. Hell, my high school had a smoking section, where the kids who smoked would have an on-campus place to grab a puff between classes.
                    Now known as the "Men's Bathroom"
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                    X