No announcement yet.

A Public Service Announcement: JohnT's Guide to Quitting Smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found it much easier to quit cold turkey when I was smoking 20 a day, I had a lot more motivation and reasons to stop.

Myself and a few friends are trapped in social smoking, most of the reasons to quit dont apply nearly as strongly, and its much easier to restart once you have quit.

As for not drinking, thats exactly what I had to do when I stopped from 20 a day those few times I quit. But giving up my social life for the sake of a few cigarettes doesnt appeal to me...
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
      Here ya go! If you're a 150,000 cigarette smoker (20 years), here's what ya got in ya:
      I smoked for 25 years with an average of 20-25 per day (started with 10, ended around 30), which results in over 200,000. So that's probably what I got in me. I quit almost 6 years ago, first by reducing from 30 to 10 (with the clock in my hand, every 2 full hours) for nine months, then 10 to 0. Never had a single cigarette ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
        * Theben 's Guide to Quitting Smoking

Don't start.
        Tried it. Works
        Blah

Comment

given my constellation of minor addictions, smoking just never caught on for me.

Plus, it's my same problem with drugs. I won't turn down a toke, but the idea that people actually waste money on such things is ridiculous.

Actually, I think just my being an unbelievable sponge and general cheap-ass saved me from many addictions.

Of course, there's always alcohol. I'll admit that when I have alcohol available I tend to just keep going until it's all gone. Waste not want not! But again my cheapness intrudes. Friends sometimes are suprised to see nothing but a Sherry in my fridge. To them I say, oh, don't worry I'll empty any 40 you're dumb enough to leave in range, but cough up cash??

Only rarely do I actually buy my own, I prefer to scout for enablers.
          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

сheapness is a great solution to smoking. They're just way expensive.
            urgh.NSFW

Comment

The patch worked for me
              Monkey!!!

Comment

how long were you on the patchs?
                Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

just over 3 months.

I started on the middle dosage 30mg I think and never changed. Mainly because I smoked too. When I first put the patch on I was about 3-5 smokes a day for a month, down from 20-25/day. I gradually weined myself from the actual action and then from the patch. Getting of the patch is easier because it's only a chemical addiction. The mental addiction was hardest.

It has now been over a year since my last cig
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I started with patches and wore them 2 or 3 days, but then started to forget to apply them. Since I felt without patches just as bad as with patches, I decided not to bother with them anymore and stopped to use them. IMO they're more placebo than really effective.

Comment

Whatever.

You coming to the convention?
                      If able
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                        Myself and a few friends are trapped in social smoking, most of the reasons to quit dont apply nearly as strongly, and its much easier to restart once you have quit.

As for not drinking, thats exactly what I had to do when I stopped from 20 a day those few times I quit. But giving up my social life for the sake of a few cigarettes doesnt appeal to me...
                        Find yourself some non-smoking friends.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, friends are easy to ditch and forget about!

If people offer you cigarettes, just tell them that you've quit. You'll find most people are more understanding of that than if you refuse because you simply don't smoke.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: A Public Service Announcement: JohnT's Guide to Quitting Smoking

Over the past six months I see somebody and I realize with a start holy God, they've got a cigarette! I'm literally startled, surprised that people are still doing that. There are days it seems where I go through and rarely see a smoker - then there's one outside the bank and it hits you - people still do that!
                            This is new? I've been reacting that way my entire life

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              I prescribe alcohol, and lots of it.
                              Hm, on one hand I'm personally opposed to alcohol, but on the other hand I'm half-Russian and half-Irish...

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                                Yeah, friends are easy to ditch and forget about!
                                You sure have a large supply of hay.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X