Identical, Bush-backing Editorials Appear Nationwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    That's where I differ. I feel that it is more of a problem for me at least when they are disguised as news.
    That's why so many of us scratch our heads when people claim Fox News is a decent news source. They've been documented to routinely play fast and loose with facts and conintuously attempt to pass of opinions as news.

I won't bother with links but there have been numerous threads showing this and you yourself have posted in several of them.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

To be clear, editorials are not written by journalists. Analysis is written by journalists. Commentary is not written by journalists, although this is done from time to time (improperly, IMO).

In any event, I see nothing wrong with syndicating editorials, which is basically what is happening when you see nearly identical editorials in different papers.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

True but they were reprinted in supposedly reputable newspapers and readers were not advised that they're talking points. I find that to be a fault of the papers which reprinted them without informing readers who wrote them or where they came from.

That's fine if the papers don't mind ignoring standard journalism practice but doing so does reflect poorly on those papers. I'd also like to know if tax dollars were used to create & distribute these talking points and I think the White House should be taken to task if they're deliberately attempting to release this stuff while hiding the fact that they're the ones doing this. I admite that right now we don't know who did this but we do know the Administration has done this before in the recent past and that's why someone should be taking a closer look. Tax dollars should not be spent on such politicing.

Comment

Jeez, the US is looking more and more like a Banana Republic.

Comment

True but they were reprinted in supposedly reputable newspapers and readers were not advised that they're talking points.
            Doesn't matter at all. Editorials can be whatever the editorial boards of the papers want them to be.

That's fine if the papers don't mind ignoring standard journalism practice
            There is no standard journalism practice on this score. Editorials are prepared by the editorial boards, not line journalists.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

newspapers as organs of the state is fine with you?

Bring on Pravda US Lite
              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The editorials take up about 2 columns on an inside page. I hardly consider using language from talking points in the editorials as the newspaper being an organ of the state, although of course it does answer to the quality of the editorial.

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
                  That's where I differ. I feel that it is more of a problem for me at least when they are disguised as news.
                  I have a problem with both. Either is an attempt to deceive the public that these are varied opinions.

I suspect that these were made by some private organization with some serious $$ and a pro-Bush agenda. Free speech is fine but be honest.
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

we have rules in Australia about this - the article or editorial must be clearly labelled as coming from the government

Same with infomercials *Advertisement*
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

DanS get out of your bubble

The whole point of newspapers is to be an independent source of news and debate with what is going on in the world. Not a freaking bullhorn for the people in charge.

These are spoon fed propaganda pieces and you have no problem with that?

That goes against every single principle this nation was founded on.

You make me sick. I don't know what you personally have at stake in this Administration but stop with the lemming behavior already.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Oh come on...you guys are exaggerating!

All this really does is clearly illustrate that (thankfully!), there are more right-minded people in the Great US of A than there are pinko liberal, closet commie, God-And-Country haters, and thank god for that (in his infinite, intelligently designed wisdom!)

As usual, the organized left is simply pointing this out in an attempt to discredit the current administration, which has been like a knight in shining armor on a holy crusade against both the infidels in the Middle East and here at home.

I swear.

{/sarcasm}

-=Vel=-
                        The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            DanS get out of your bubble

The whole point of newspapers is to be an independent source of news and debate with what is going on in the world. Not a freaking bullhorn for the people in charge.

These are spoon fed propaganda pieces and you have no problem with that?

That goes against every single principle this nation was founded on.

You make me sick. I don't know what you personally have at stake in this Administration but stop with the lemming behavior already.
                            So where is the government hit squad that put a gun to the head of the editorial page editor? So small town editors can be lazy. Where's the news in that? If you don't like it, hammer the editor/publisher with letters and calls from you and your friends or call your local TV station. I'm sure they'd love to score some points at the expense of the competition.
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

I never read editorials. I like to form my own opinions.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Timexwatch, I agree that most of the blame rests on lazy editors who'd rather cut and paste talking points then write their own article or pay someone to write an article. There is, however, the question if tax dollars and government property is being used to produce and disseminate this propaganda. Do you believe it is appropriate for taxpayer money to be used in this way?

In ay event the papers should be named and shamed since getting their reputations hit might cause them to think twice before continuing this practice.

Comment

Working...
                                X