Identical, Bush-backing Editorials Appear Nationwide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
    I apologize for expecting that the little-known person you labeled "a noted Republican blogger" might actually have a ****ing blog. I should have known better, coming from you...
    feel the love
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Except that in theory News are facts and therefore the same telling of the same facts over and over is not an issue. Editorials in theory are opinions, so the same opinion, exactly worded, over and over, is a sign of groupthink.

BUt I gues that is Doubleplusgood.
      The newspapers are choosing to publish the opinions without government influence. I see no difference between an opinion published in 1 newspaper with a very large circulation or an opinion published in a bunch of small newspapers.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
        Many small (and not so small) newspapers carry identical news reports. I see nothing suspicious about them doing the same for editorials.
        The question that really needs to be asked is the administration once again using public tax money to spread this stuff or is it just some right wing group? If it is private money then fine but if it is public money though many people will have a problem with this. The adminstration has been caught doing that in the very recent past so it is a relavent question.

Also, assuming for a second that they did us public money again, do we as a country want our government releasing unsigned propaganda and attempting to apss it on to newspapers? Should there be a disclosure law which forces government agencies to tell people when they're conducting these kind of campaigns?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
          no Oerdin is on to something here

One thing I've noticed is when the Cold War was on a free independent media was very highly valued in the West because of all those Ministry of Truth types on the other side. Governments were quite loathe to give the other side cause to say the media was being manipulated. Even Dirty Dick Nixon ultimately shied away from nobbling the Washington Post when his Presidency was on the line.

Since the Cold War ended people don't seem to value an independent objective as much and the Ministry of Truth types all got jobs in media companies and public relations. We see the results in catastrophes like the Iraq war.

You younguns are so used to manipulation you think its normal. That's quite sad really.
          Good point Horse.

Not having an adversery to keep us in check seems to be having many unforseen drawbacks.
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Doesn't matter at all. Editorials can be whatever the editorial boards of the papers want them to be.

There is no standard journalism practice on this score. Editorials are prepared by the editorial boards, not line journalists.
            That's right, the opinion page is intended to be a one-way conduit of information, except for the occasional "advertorial" paid for by the business community.
            He's got the Midas touch.
            But he touched it too much!
            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Such "advertorials" are typically announced as such, are they not?

I mean, they are in the paper we get...I dunno about elsewhere, but I'd assume certain "best practices."

And if that be so, then should not the government have to pay for and announce similarly? Would that be unreasonable, or too much to ask?

-=Vel=-
              The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                Such "advertorials" are typically announced as such, are they not?

I mean, they are in the paper we get...I dunno about elsewhere, but I'd assume certain "best practices."

And if that be so, then should not the government have to pay for and announce similarly? Would that be unreasonable, or too much to ask?

-=Vel=-
                My post was merely a summary of The Onion's (joke) editorial policy.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

d'oh! Sorry...too cold, and too early in the morning for me I guess....

-=Vel=-
                  The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

you should also remember that this crap is your taxes at work

We're having trouble with this in Australia - the government spending our tax money to promote itself - "announcing" initiatives with expensive glossy ad campaigns.

Makes me sick.
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                    X