No announcement yet.

Get on the Grid (yes, you)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FightAIDS@Home project has launched, it's already running on my computer (and automatically updated itself).

FightAIDS@Home is a project focused on using computation methods to identify candidate drugs that have the right shape and chemical characteristics to block HIV protease. This approach is called "Structure-Based Drug Design", and according to the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, it has already had a dramatic effect on the lives of people living with AIDS.

FightAIDS@Homespacer spacer
    spacer
    HIV Protease Docking UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Program on HIV/AIDS, estimated that in 2004 there were more than 40 million people around the world living with HIV, the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. The virus has affected the lives of men, women and children all over the world. Currently, there is no cure in sight, only treatment with a variety of drugs.

Prof. Arthur J. Olson's laboratory at The Scripps Research Institute (TSRI) is studying computational ways to design new anti-HIV drugs based on molecular structure. It has been demonstrated repeatedly that the function of a molecule — a substance made up of many atoms — is related to its three-dimensional shape. Olson's target is HIV protease ("pro-tee-ace"), a key molecular machine of the virus that when blocked stops the virus from maturing. These blockers, known as "protease inhibitors", are thus a way of avoiding the onset of AIDS and prolonging life. The Olson Laboratory is using computational methods to identify new candidate drugs that have the right shape and chemical characteristics to block HIV protease. This general approach is called "Structure-Based Drug Design", and according to the National Institutes of Health's National Institute of General Medical Sciences, it has already had a dramatic effect on the lives of people living with AIDS.

Even more challenging, HIV is a "sloppy copier," so it is constantly evolving new variants, some of which are resistant to current drugs. It is therefore vital that scientists continue their search for new and better drugs to combat this moving target.

Scientists are able to determine by experiment the shapes of a protein and of a drug separately, but not always for the two together. If scientists knew how a drug molecule fit inside the active site of its target protein, chemists could see how they could design even better drugs that would be more potent than existing drugs.

To address these challenges, World Community Grid's FightAIDS@Home project runs a software program called AutoDock developed in Prof. Olson's laboratory. AutoDock is a suite of tools that predicts how small molecules, such as drug candidates, might bind or "dock" to a receptor of known 3D structure. The very first version of AutoDock was written in the Olson Laboratory in 1990 by Dr. David S. Goodsell, while newer versions, developed by Dr. Garrett M. Morris, have been released which add new scientific understanding and strategies to AutoDock, making it computationally more robust, faster, and easier for other scientists to use. AutoDock is used on the World Community Grid to dock large numbers of different small molecules to HIV protease, so the best molecules can be found computationally, selected and tested in the laboratory for efficacy against the virus, HIV. By joining forces together, The Scripps Research Institute, World Community Grid and its growing volunteer force can find better treatments much faster than ever before.
    FAQ is here: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/he...shortName=faah
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I was wondering what that was.

I take it the old project was finished?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Part 1 has, there is going to be a Part 2 launched shortly.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Diseases are living things too!
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I'm in at #65, coincidentally the same as my jersey number when I played football. /jackassglorydaysrememberer.

I'll put it on my second computer this afternoon sometime.
            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

WHich football? American or Eurocom?
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Pffft, you ask as if the Eurocom variety even deserves to be known by the same name. American, of course (center and interior DL).
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    He refused to be convinced that it was safe
                    My understanding that, by their very nature, these grid programs circumvent firewall protection.

I heard one guy got fired for installing it at work thus endangering the employer's network.

Comment

They shouldn't circumvent firewall protection. ZoneAlarm, for instance, will alert you each time the program changes (ie, when it adds a new project like FightAIDS@Home), and requires you to say yes to let it access the internet again. The employer can also block the ports used to send the data on their network firewall, preventing the application from accessing the internet.

What some employers were concerned about is that the program accepts information to compute from outside servers regularly. It's a bit unfounded IMO, the data that WCG clients receive comes only from IBM-hosted servers (and the program rejects any other origins), and even then it is digitally signed and verified each time a new data packet is sent, verifying it came from a trustworthy source.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

My understanding that, by their very nature, these grid programs circumvent firewall protection.

I heard one guy got fired for installing it at work thus endangering the employer's network.
                        I think in that case the guy that did it put it on a production server, instead of his local workstation.

Comment

Working...
                        X