Get on the Grid (yes, you)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get on the Grid (yes, you)

The WorldCommunityGrid is wrapping up its first project: Human Proteome Folding (Part 1).

The purpose of the WCG (a collaboration between United Devices and IBM) is to utilize grid computing (utilizing PCs from around the world to compute data packets and then report their results back to the central database) to perform research that is for the benefit of humanity. All information gathered through the process is released to the public domain.

Since the inaugural project was a success and is 97% done, the next projects have been announced. Details are not yet available, but there are 3 projects lined up for the near future:
    • HIV/AIDS (October 31st) - progress our understandng of the HIV/AIDS virus and research potential cures and/or vaccines
    • Proteome folding II starts December 2005 - using the dta from Part I that is just completing, they are launching a more detailed folding exercise on selected proteins that they find promising
    • Cancer starts 1st Quarter 2006: No details yet

WCG runs at the lowest possible priority in Windows which means it only uses CPU cycles that are not in use by other processes. That means there is no performance hit on your computer, it will only use processor cycles going to waste (which is the vast, vast majority of them most of the time).

You will be able to choose which projects you would like to be a part of, or just leave it on the default which lets you participate in all of them.

Apolyton has a team that just recently cracked the Top 100 in terms of points generated.

So download it today and join the Apolyton team. 48 Poly members are already part of this project.

A Linux client is scheduled for release next month.
    Last edited by Asher; October 23, 2005, 03:42.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I thought it was another advert for that bleeding sudoku...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Does it run as a screensaver? Does the screensaver look cool?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I used to constantly run Seti@home on my laptop, and then my laptop's harddrive started making funny noises.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
          I used to constantly run Seti@home on my laptop, and then my laptop's harddrive started making funny noises.
          OMG!!!! It's the Aliens!!!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I'm on Apolyton. I'm a nerd. I like aliens.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Does it run as a screensaver? Does the screensaver look cool?
              It has a screensaver that can be turned on...it runs all the time, the screensaver just shows the client moving around a black screen (you can view the client by clicking the tray icon also).

What is displayed depends on the project being run.

For Proteome folding, it shows a 3D image of the proteins being run then several graphs of the data being calculated.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I can choose which projects I want to be a part of?

good...

because I don't want to find a cure for AIDS... God made AIDS to punish us for teh gay people!

and after visiting their website... I will join and do it because of this kid!

question: will you count me for "Poly members" if I put this on my mom and dad's PC's also?

3 extra PC's?

will that count as 1 Poly member? what's the deal?
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Get on the Grid (yes, you)

Originally posted by Asher
                  Apolyton has a team that just recently cracked the Top 100 in terms of points generated.
                  Where would it rank if all the IBM teams were removed.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I joined.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                      I can choose which projects I want to be a part of?

good...

because I don't want to find a cure for AIDS... God made AIDS to punish us for teh gay people!

and after visiting their website... I will join and do it because of this kid!

question: will you count me for "Poly members" if I put this on my mom and dad's PC's also?

3 extra PC's?

As long as they're all tied to your user account and you're on the Poly team, they count towards Poly.

Dauphin: Good question. They just recently made it so all PCs in IBM will have it by default (which is hundreds of thousands of PCs).

Comment

Re: Re: Get on the Grid (yes, you)

Originally posted by Sava

3 extra PC's?

Well, you could create different accounts for each PC, or just add them all to the same account. I'm running the thing on 2 computers, both under my one account that's part of the Apolyton team.

(Edit: damnit, cross-posted)

Originally posted by Dauphin
                        Where would it rank if all the IBM teams were removed.
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

bump

Comment

I signed up. I'm number 50 on the Apolyton team.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Thanks Asher, it's been a while since I've done one of these grid things, I was looking for a place to statrup

As long as TSM doesn't have anything to do with this project , I'm in to win.
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X