Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of Washington, DC

That have been long waiting...

All these (unless otherwise said) were taken in the trip a couple of you may remember where the Camden Fairview HS Band marched in January's 2005 Presidential Inaugural Parade.

This is looking at the Washington Monument from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. It was just our luck! It snowed the day before the Parade. It really was lucky, since it only snows once every few years in Camden. (The city is Camden, the school is Camden Fairview. If you ask the answer will take an entire forum to explain, and we already know the rule on new forums is "no", so just don't ask.)

The Washington Monument:
    Attached Files
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Haha. I remember that. Bet you froze your asses off.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

This is a little less nationally monumental, but it's more interesting IMO.

Instead of risking important people having to cross the street and get pancaked in traffic, they have undergroud tunnels connecting the Congressional office buildings and the Capitol. When we toured through, the tunnels were lined with art submitted from high school students across the nation.
      Attached Files

Comment

Haha. I remember that. Bet you froze your asses off.
        We were out for IIRC three or so hours at the Arlington National Cemetery on the morning before the snow, and yeah, cold is a mild way to put it. The regular Arkansans were probably all ready to drop out at the end of it, but I'm half Ohioan, so with enough jacket I was able to bear it. A friend of mine just wore a regular long sleeve shirt and managed it fine but I later found out he had family up North (in Ohio!) too...

Enough aside there. This is the Capitol, from the steps (everything old and historic has steps, I think) of the Library of Congress.
        Attached Files

Comment

I told you it had steps.
          Attached Files

Comment

It was cold! Exhibit A: Bigass jacket.

Oh, and more steps.
            Attached Files

Comment

As I mentioned earlier...Arlington...
              Attached Files

Comment

Last picture for tonight. If you guys have any questions or requests, I'll see if I have an appropriate picture.

Inside the Lincoln Memorial. They've got an elevator in there (not in Lincoln, but in the building) that goes down to a little visitors room with a couple galleries of Lincoln-related things. It was a neat surprise
                Attached Files

Comment

What was it, like 40 degrees or something?
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

any pics of yourself?
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Sorry. I couldn't actually leave you without a picture of any marching.

Here's one shot of the band. I'm near the back left corner.

You see all those cops? IIRC the number was, a cop for every two feet of the parade route. That was a lot of cops.

Although I kind of wonder how they determine how many cops to have on hand...as we all know, the day went mostly peacefully, but imagine if they'd only had a cop for every 3 feet? One cannot comprehend the chaos...
                      Attached Files

Comment

Well Sava I do have one...

Yeah! The real, only Senator Blanche Lincoln!

You guys watch. Just like they have that shot of Bill Clinton shaking JFK's hand, this is what they're going to show around when I become President.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Man, you are a young-un!

Hopefully you were grabbing the Senator's ass in that pic
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Yeah. A Snoopy hoodie, meeting Blanche Lincoln. We had formal clothes at the hotel, but that was the day it snowed, all the big highways got closed and delayed, and the buses couldn't make it back in time to change. It's okay, it's not like I was wearing a Slayer shirt or something. I'm fine with it. I don't even blame Bush.

Imran: I think she's a little older than me. And married.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I always thought he was older. And mebbe black.

Hopefully you were grabbing the Senator's ass in that pic

Looks like he might have borrowed one of Nikolai's forks...
                              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                              X