Here's To Lord Nelson, slayer of frogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wikipedia? Did you submit the article?

Anyway: The order to go east was given by Napoleon on August 22nd. Two months before Trafalgar.

edit: Wikipedia is not that bad after all: link

The newly born Grande Armee secretely marched towards Germany. On 20 October 1805 it surprised the Austrians at Ulm - Germany. The very next day, however, at the Battle of Trafalgar (21 October 1805), Britain gained lasting control of the seas.
    Last edited by Richelieu; October 22, 2005, 13:58.
    What?

Comment

What I'd like to know is how come whenever the brits start beating their anti-froggie breasts that the French pull out Jean D'arc? The brits won 98 of the 100 years war and slaughtered thousands and thousands of the french knights and aristos but somehow the french won?
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney
        that's just plain wrong i'm afraid.
        Definitive post. I see now i was wrong.
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
          What I'd like to know is how come whenever the brits start beating their anti-froggie breasts that the French pull out Jean D'arc? The brits won 98 of the 100 years war and slaughtered thousands and thousands of the french knights and aristos but somehow the french won?
          Simple. The Rosbifs benefited from a civil war in France, where the evil Burgundians invited the monstrous Rosbifs to step in.

And despite this terrible situation, despite diplomatic isolation, despite the large footholds already held by Rosbif inbreds at the beginning of the war, France prevailed.

Not only because of Joan, mind you, but because of the bravery of the French. Joan is only the symbol of this victory for great JUSTICE!
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Simple. The Rosbifs benefited from a civil war in France, where the evil Burgundians invited the monstrous Rosbifs to step in.

And despite this terrible situation, despite diplomatic isolation, despite the large footholds already held by Rosbif inbreds, France prevailed.

Not only because of Joan, mind you, but because of the bravery of the French. Joan is only the symbol of this victory for great JUSTICE!
            QFT!!!
            What?

Comment

Spiffor is a wonderful troll

Comment

Yeah, but the English pwn the French .

After all, the English haven't been conquered since the Normans did it in 1066 (and yes, they were originally from Scandinavia, as were the Normans that took Sicily). France gets taken over by Germany once a generation
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                  How can anyone (except for silly frogs) seriously consider Europe unde Napoleons rule a good thing?
                  The impact of his administrative and legal reforms were pretty huge you know. The fact that the Belgian civil code is still the one enacted by Napoleon should give you a hint. But maybe the benefits of Napoleon aren't very obvious to you since your region was never part of his empire.
                  DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclotron

No way, man. We know who our real allies are -

Word up. French 4 life.
                    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      Spiffor is a wonderful troll
                      * bows *

Thank you, thank you.

I wish to thank my wonderful audience, and the wonderful Rosbifs, without which these performances could never happen

* bows again *

Comment

The impact of his administrative and legal reforms were pretty huge you know. The fact that the Belgian civil code is still the one enacted by Napoleon should give you a hint. But maybe the benefits of Napoleon aren't very obvious to you since your region was never part of his empire.
                        It was not very well for Spain not becuase French rule was bad inherently but becuase spaniards reveled due to some sort of savage (but very comprehensible IMO) patriotic pride and it resulted in a very bloody guerrilla war and major destruction. However the next Spanish King was far worse for Spain than any invasion.
                        Last edited by Thorgal; October 22, 2005, 14:33.
                        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Joan is only the symbol of this victory for great JUSTICE!
                          She also invented the barbecue.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

And despite this terrible situation, despite diplomatic isolation, despite the large footholds already held by Rosbif inbreds at the beginning of the war, France prevailed.

Weren't the Burgundians more or less independent of the French? I believe the Duke of Burgundy was officially a vassal of both the Kinf of France and the German Emperor while historicaly they were independent since the end of Charlemagne's Empire and still had full autonomy dispite being reduced from a king to a duke by the French and Germans.

My understanding was the French King was unhappy about Burgundy officially paying taxes to the Holy Roman Empire as well as France so he wanted to invade Burgundy and make it officially part of his Kingdom. That's when the Burgundians asked the English for help against the French while the English were only to happy to have an excuse to invade their primary rival.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
                              How can anyone (except for silly frogs) seriously consider Europe unde Napoleons rule a good thing?

Dont you think French hegemony in Europe would have been better than the Prussian hegemony we later had to suffer with all its horrid consequences?
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That sounds about right. IIRC, Harold had to work hard too keep much of his army from deserting to harvest their fields. Plus, that forced march of his from York to Hastings couldn't have been done in winter snows.
                                Winter snows were and are not common in England. When they do happen they seldom last more than a couple of weeks.
                                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X