No announcement yet.

Here's To Lord Nelson, slayer of frogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And that was? A rather quiet 19th century, I'd say.
    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

In fact Trafalgar had some importance at a moral or symbolic level, but it had very little real effect on the overall course of the war. For instance only some weeks after Napoleon won at Austerlitz.
      Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgal
        In fact Trafalgar had some importance at a moral or symbolic level, but it had very little real effect on the overall course of the war. For instance only some weeks after Napoleon won at Austerlitz.
        It prevented the invasion of Britain in the short and medium term. Pretty significant really.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
          I told the French women in my office to respond to any idiotic mentions of Trafalgar by claiming that it was also the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. That should have given the nationalists something to think about!
          It wasn't the anniversary, but still. I think it's nearer Christmas, because William was crowned on Christmas Day as the new (French) king of England (well, a mixture of English and French that has become more intermixed in every generation since).
          I seem to recall (hearing) that the Battle of Hastings was around Michaelmas, which was late September.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

It prevented the invasion of Britain in the short and medium term. Pretty significant really.
            France loss only 13 of more than 70 ships in his fleet at Trafalgar (and were rebuilt quickly) while Spain lost 8 of about 35. They would have invaded Britain after Trafalgar but Napoleon was occupied in other things.
            Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

that's just plain wrong i'm afraid.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

And that was? A rather quiet 19th century, I'd say.

The rise of a unified germany, the continuation of Russian Serfdom, the continuing grip of the church and monarchy in spain, just from the top of my head.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                  Here is what Rosbifs despise. Actual men fighting for the greater good of the world, and slaying this nation of clerks and shopkeepers into irrelevance.
                  When you say "actual men fighting" you're referring to the French, right?
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    I seem to recall (hearing) that the Battle of Hastings was around Michaelmas, which was late September.
                    That sounds about right. IIRC, Harold had to work hard too keep much of his army from deserting to harvest their fields. Plus, that forced march of his from York to Hastings couldn't have been done in winter snows.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                      Yes they were.
                      Yes and no. Vikings were going to sack Paris so the King of France agreed to give them Normandy in exchange for not attacking any more French lands.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorgal
                        Napolean gave up invading the UK after Trafalgar and so the best he could really hope for would have been a draw. That's pretty significant. The victory also encouraged the UK to fight until the end instead of agreeing to a perminent truce.

Comment

[q=C0ckney]
                          az, spiff, all frogs = gutted.
                          [/q]

The brits gloating I understand - it's moronic nationalistic posturing but why would anyone else be glad about this?
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Well, there was that whole period of peace between the end of the Napoleanonic wars and the Crimea War to be thankful about. You know the one which allowed industricalization and economic advancement to take hold in the west. Hell, Crimea was just a little hickup and other then a few colonial wars there wasn't a major war in Europe for a century.

That's worth being thankful about.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Napolean gave up invading the UK after Trafalgar and so the best he could really hope for would have been a draw. That's pretty significant. The victory also encouraged the UK to fight until the end instead of agreeing to a perminent truce.
                              Napoleon had given up on the invasion long before Trafalgar. He started marching towards Austria at the end of August.
                              What?

Comment

The British victory put an end to Napoleon's plans to invade Britain across the English Channel. Once the threat of invasion was removed, British troops could be used to fight on the European continent, which was a major factor in Napoleon's ultimate fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X