Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moral, ethical and monetary delima.... Does this make me a horrible person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moral, ethical and monetary delima.... Does this make me a horrible person?

So this month has been.........well it's just been a weird month. Ex-husband kicks the bucket then I get a job working with a patient in her home which I wasn't sure of at first but we've really bonded and have also bonded with her mom and her daughter. Then last week everthing fell into place and we bought our first home (which btw is soooooooooooooooooooo freeeeeeeeeeeeking cool!) But that's a whole other thread.

So here is the delima part. Now that I've been working for this family for the last month, and I work for them through a home health agency, yesterday I got offered another job. So now to the facts.

Home health job -

Working for a company that only pays me $8.00 per hour, never can get any supplies when we request them. The afternoon shift girl quit and they wanted me to take my shift, 7-10:30 a.m. then split and do her shift 2-8:00 p.m. as well as work my normal weekend shift. Now granted I have been working the 7 day a week thing, but that was only three 1/2 hours during the day and 5 per day on the weekend. Started to work on September 24, we get paid on the 1st and the 15th. To which I thought cool! I get paid in six days. Nope, they hold back. Ok, no problem I think I'll just get paid on the 15th. Gave them the blank check for the direct deposit. 15th rolls around no deposit. No paper check. So I think well, it's the weekend. Monday no check. I call to find out what's up with my paycheck and I'm told that I can't talk to payroll because there on unavilable. To which I said well then I'm just unavailble to work. Quickly someone got on the phone and told me I should get that day which was Monday. I didn't. So hoepfully it will be here today. Basically I've been working for almost a month without a check. Which as you can imagine my husband was not happy about. And over the course of the last 3 weeks I have been saying that if it wasn't for my patients that I've grown to care for, that the company I work for is run so incompetently that I would be long gone. I work this job because I like what I do and the patients I care for. I could work somewhere else and make more money but...... and oh yeah no benefits unless I'm considered full time.

Schlotzsky's -

Many of you may have heard of this food chain. Yesterday I get a call from a temp agency I had applied with and they said Coporate office needs a receptionist which is my trade for almost 12 years until recently getting into health care. They will pay $10 per hour with a raise when I become permenant. Pay my parking which if anyone has ever tried to find parking in downtown Austin....this is a huge plus as well as I'll get a full benefit package when I become full time. I decided to try it out today and am here. The front desk isn't tremendously busy so you can read in down times as well as us the internet which as you can see I'm taking full advantage of. But there is some boredom with this job I can already see. But it means more money and since we just bought a house..... but I feel like ****e because I feel like I'm letting down my patient that I already built a bond with.

Husband says that's where I'm looking at it wrong. While yes I bonded with the patient, it is still after all simply a job. It is what I get paid to do....well should be getting paid to do. He thinks that I have a family obligation to my family and have to think about them. But I'm finding it hard to do. One advantage I see with the scholotzsky's job is that I can continue my education by doing night classes and since they don't mind if I read here I could always use the time to my advantage and study to get further in my medical studies so that eventually I could quit this and do medical because I will by that time have earned some type of degree that would allow me more money.

So in conclusion..........I feel like a big heeping pile of elephant poo, fell like I've let those people down...just basically feel like ****e and think I may have done the wrong thing. What do you think?
    Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
    Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
    Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
    You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Ok, so they stopped paying you and want you to work more on one hand, and on the other is a higher paying job that will presumably actually pay you.

go with the job that actually pays you, The Home Health Company seems like it is either very bad news, or in very serious trouble.

Comment

yes but, how do you not feel like a piece of crap for leaving the patient in the lurch as it were. Husband says you work for a home health agency....this is what they do if you don't work someone else will, however it still leaves me feeling like ****e, like I didn't live up to my end of the committment.
      Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild

Comment

You have to eat and take care of your own family first.

You came up with your end of the commitment while they failed on their end for a whole month.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Which I agree with especially after just purdhasing a new home which in turn increases our bills. I just have this huge sense of overwhelming guilt. However, I also am looking at the secronicity of these events. Over the last week or two the mother has been coming to terms with the fact that taking care of her daughter is more the she can really handle and that inevitably she will have to be placed in a facility, which I thought last night that on the one hand this chain of events might be fortuitous in forcing her had to do so. As well as I was scheduled to work yesterday afternoon, but my daughter fell down a flight of stairs while we were finishing our move and we went to the emergency room. My cell phone had been off all day and for some reason I turned it on. Literally within 15 seconds of me turning on my phone the call came through for this new job. If I had left my phone off they would have skipped me and gone on to the next candidate. So I have to wonder if the universe isn't doing this for a reason....

Comment

Put in the perspective of a career path not just one job or another. Which job will help you to get where you want to be in the future?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

I want to do medical, that's what I've wanted to do for a while. But we can't afford for me to not work and go to school full time, so the Schlotzsky's job will give me the money as well as afford me time to read and study while I"m making money for something like a medical assistant or something along those lines.

Comment

Does that awnser your question?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

go where the money is, and try to get your RN. if it means you're a receptionist at schlotzky's for a little while to do so, go for it.
                  I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                  [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Well was able to get a better perspective on things at lunch since I called the home health agency and asked them if there was anyway if I continued to work there on a full time basis if I would be eligible for benefits. NOPE!! Apparently even though I work for them I'm technically a sub contractor and I would assume that this is the way they get out of benefits. Soooooooooooooooooo that sort of puts the kibosh on me feeling guilty for taking this job....but still feel bad for leaving them. The health care job asked me if I would still be willing to take my weekend shift. Sure no problem....yeah right.

So at least it helps me feel a bit better about my decision, my family needs the benefits so this was a good thing.

Comment

Also Tia -- if you ahve such a bond with this patient person, like you are friends are something, there is nothing that says you couldn't visit sometimes as a friend.

Job wise the choice is clear . . . The receptionist gig is more money with more potential to develop yourself. If the only thing going for the home care gig is your relationship, you can always continue that in an unpaid way
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

That's true, and I intend to. I'm even considering taking the weekend gig....but that puts me with no time to work on our new house.

Comment

You have to eat and make that house payment. Your commitment (with the company) was to help care for a patient in return for money, not to help care for a patient for free. From the sounds of the opening post, the home health care company is asking you to work more hours and still failing to pay you. IMO companies that don't pay their employees are usually already in serious trouble. If they aren't paying their employees, their finances are frequently so bad that they'll either be bought out or go under in the very near future. If Schlotzky's will (a) pay you; (b) pay you better; (c) provide benefits; and (d) allow you time to study, it's clearly the better choice for finances and school/career. I understand that you feel bad, like you're abandoning your patient. Kudos to you for wanting to help those patients. But it sounds to me like the one who didn't live up to its end of the commitment was the health care company. It was the company's job to find someone to care for the patient and to pay that person. If you want to help that patient, is there some way other than working in home health care? Volunteer to drive her or her mother on her errands once a week or to driver her to doctor's visits or something? Bake cookies? Take dogs to the vet? Anything?

Comment

Yup... good point. I'm going to try to find a way to try to maintain some type of realtionship with them. My husband said I had trouble seperating myself from getting personal and realizing at the end of the day it is still just a job. It's hard to care for someone, wipe their ass, shower them, feed them etc. and feel like it's just a job. But it is.

I think where I had the problem was that I believe that you have to try to help your fellow man and make some sacrafices in your life,my husband pointed out however, that my family shouldn't have to sacrfice.

Comment

It sounds like you have made two mistakes in one catch. You have as a proff made a bond to those in your care and made the bond to you. That isd fine if you are some kind of volounteer, but as a hired person you do both yourself and the patient/relatives a bears favour.

Not looking at the economics, I'll say - get out. Looking at the economics - what the hell do you do in a company that doesn't pay you ?
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                              X