DELL HELL - need help with PC power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
    A virus does not cause anything like that.
    I said that to tuber last night before i went to bed glad to know i am not comlpetely off my rocker
    Keep in mind i did say not completely
    When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
    "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
    Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

So your talking about Poly in bed?

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
        "It had a virus" is what I say to people when I've fixed their computer up and it had a rather technical problem that I don't think they will understand.
        Sorry boys, you're wrong, I was there when the tech did the diagnostics - I saw the trojan myself. I probably got it off a linker to a newspaper.

The system is usually cramped with spyware anyway, so it's not too far from the truth. On one hand, detailing the problem may make you come off as brainy, on the other hand, they may think you're pulling their leg.
        Not mine - it was crammed with spybot destroyers.

That, or the tech plugged it in, it booted normally, and he formatted it and made up the virus story to charge you for an extra hour.
        He charged me $120 and worked on it off and on most of the day - I went to shop 3 times - it was the only job he had that day - not bad value I thought. He also gave the system a tune up and removed all that crap they load when you buy a comp
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

i dont know what to tell you but i dont think the light is always on at dell...i just saw a commercial for dell laptops, and theyre showing how awesome the laptop is, and then the announcer guy says

"Do you want exciting, entertaining experiences in your lap?"

roflroflroflroflrofl
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
            So your talking about Poly in bed?
            No I was in bed going to sleep. he was sitting at his desk playng a game. It happens so that his desk and pc is right next to my bed.
            When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
            "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
            Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              Sorry boys, you're wrong, I was there when the tech did the diagnostics - I saw the trojan myself. I probably got it off a linker to a newspaper.
              I can't think of a possible way that any malware can interfere with normal booting. It simply will not be active at that stage.

Granted, you may also had something, but there is no link between the two.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

well whatever - it wasn't malware - if we're talking about the same thing - it was a virus and comp went down cold - I saw it in the diagnostics and that's why we went for a rebuild. Not a virus I've seen before, nasty.

The comp would start and then the fan would just go into overdrive like the system was overheating - of course it wasn't. No boot screens either. That's why the boys panicked.

The power outage and surge protection on Dells are a prize pain in the butt. No reset button and if you look at the docs they don't tell you up front how to fix it with a hard boot.

But you're right - there is no direct evidence the virus was the cause - it may have been sleeping on the machine.
                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

You ought to play some Starcraft every now and then. Helps keeps computers happy over around that part of the world.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I can't think of a possible way that any malware can interfere with normal booting. It simply will not be active at that stage.

Granted, you may also had something, but there is no link between the two.
                    what about a bios virus?
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                      well whatever - it wasn't malware - if we're talking about the same thing - it was a virus and comp went down cold - I saw it in the diagnostics and that's why we went for a rebuild. Not a virus I've seen before, nasty.
                      Horsie, malware is the collective term for things such as viruses, worms, trojan horses and the like. Things that are intended to do evil things to your computer.
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        what about a bios virus?
                        I am not 100% sure, but I don't think you can write to the BIOS when the CPU is in protected mode. That's why you need to boot to DOS to flash your BIOS.

Besides, Horsie said only the HDD was rebuilt, which indicated the BIOS was not affected.

Comment

the hard drive was fine - it was the software that had to be completely reloaded

Comment

That's what UR was referring to - that apparently the techie only did something to things that are on the HDD, not on the BIOS chip.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Mrs. Tuberski.

It happens so that his desk and pc is right next to my bed.

I didn't know that you folks were into THAT!.
                              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X