• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Football Thread VI

Old thread here

Keep going, guys
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Wow... England were like, playing real football.
    yeah it was nice to see although you can perhaps question the wisdom of starting the game without a left footed player, the team looked well balanced. all the players that came in looked useful, leadly king had an excellent game and shaun wright-phillips looked a real threat on the right.

selection headaches
    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Yes. balance, balance, balance

Echoing what someone said on another forum I'd like to see that formation (with the holding midfielder and a proper right winger) continue for the next friendly.

I'd still have Carrick above King and hopefully Ashley Cole and G Nev will be back.
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Theres no way Beckham will get dropped in the WC though.

Its obvious now a holding player has to play, whether that means dropping J. Cole for Gerrard to play in CMF and A. Cole plays down all the left wing, or dropping Gerrard.

I agree Carrick is better too, he has everything King has but with better long passing.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

IMO dropping Joe Cole and having Gerrard left side of 3 midfielders would be madness. It has to be Gerrard losing out for the holding player.

Becks will play that's true but can Erikkson make him stay on the right? Can he f*ck.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Beckham has become like the corner kicker in subbuteo, useless most of the time because he cant run, but spectacular when wheeled out for corners, and freekicks if you didnt play by the rules.

Whereas Wright-Phillips would tear past any left-back at the WC.
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Exactly.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

I'd drop Lampard in favour of Gerrard.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
                  Echoing what someone said on another forum ...
                  I taught him everything he knows....
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I'd leave Ledley in, though. I like the option of him being able to fill in at the back if one of the defenders gets caught forward (which they tend to do). Carrick wouldn't be able to do that nearly so well.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                      I would have said that before last night, but the way I see it is that Lampard is the guy in possession of the shirt. If he starts playing poorly, or if Gerrard really tears it up for Liverpool (which he hasn't done yet this season) then maybe things will change, but for now Lampard is the man.

Basically I'm just saying we should play whichever one of them seems on best form at the time. At the moment that's Lampard, but we don't have a game for another month so I suppose that could easily change.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                        I'd leave Ledley in, though. I like the option of him being able to fill in at the back if one of the defenders gets caught forward (which they tend to do). Carrick wouldn't be able to do that nearly so well.
                        the great thing about king is that he's happy playing as a centre-half, so when rio ferdinand goes on a little foray into the opposing half, which he's good at, king can stop us being exposed at the back.
                        "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                          Either of them would be superb in that position... but Lampard's the one who's there at the moment. He scored the winners in the last two matches and his goal record is tremendous at all levels...

But if he's injured and Gerrard has to step in, well, what a great replacement!
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

we sent those perrenial cheaters and whiners spain into playoffs. too bad bosnia could not deny them that place, too.

i was shocked to see that uefa changed its rules so as to have seeded draw for playoffs. that probably saved sorry spanish team, but i hope that slovakia will somehow manage to kick them out.

Comment

This one amused me.

West Brom have angrily rejected claims from Fifa president Sepp Blatter that the club field weakened teams against the top Premiership sides.

Blatter alleged an Albion official told him they do not play their best line-up against the top sides because "they know they are going to lose".

However a club spokesman said: "We are astonished and totally mystified by Mr Blatter's remarks.

"We utterly refute what Mr Blatter suggests," he added.

The comments referred to the defeat West Brom suffered at the hands of champions Chelsea in August.

Albion lost 4-0, having made five changes to the team that had beaten Portsmouth four days earlier.

And the club have always rejected claims that they were attempting to rest players for the contest with Birmingham later that week.

"We can categorically state that no Albion official has spoken to Mr Blatter this year - let alone in the past month," added the West Brom spokesman.

"The management of the club field what they consider to be their strongest available side for every game - and will continue to do so.

"As always, this will be the case when the team plays against Arsenal on Saturday.

"It is also worth pointing out to Mr Blatter that we did in fact draw our away games at Arsenal and Manchester United last season."

And the punchline?

West Brom beat Arsenal 2-1 last Saturday.

FIFA really are idiots.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X