Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnT

... I lost my bet.

Damn it on top of all that you been through you lost your bet as well. Man that sucks.

Seriously my friend my best wishes are with you.
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
      So where do you stand now? Sounds like they came in cycles like they often do, when it rains it pours.. How are you doing today? I didn't read it all, though I read most. So you are working to your parents again?

You know what though.. the beauty of business smarts is that you can't lose it. So there was a big letdown and disaster. But once you get over it, get some distance to it, you are twice as powerful in business. Because you have this experience, it might become valuable in the long run. And you can come back blazing, left and right, going straight through middle and go to the top! I think we all know you can and will, just takes some time to get back to the saddle.

And then, you are strong superpower because you can look back and say, well I got over all that crap that collapsed in one year, there's nothing that can stop you now, since you refused to quit that time, I mean what can they do to top that? Not a lot.. so.. the worst is over and good things are coming. This I know, the good things are soon to come.

If I'm about to be millionaire, I can't see why you wouldn't bounce back up soon too.

This might be one of those 'yeah I know but this is not the time, it doesn't feel like it'. Might be true, but all these are also solid FACTS.
      Thanks for the words, Pekka.

"Today" is fine. July was fine, too, until the lawsuit. Now that it's behind me and that I've got precedents and jusdgments on my side. I was getting back into the swing of things too - as I said, I was excited about organizing the convention until events took the wind out of my sails.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        I can't believe I read the whole thing!
        Jesus! I didn't even write it all!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Harley
          John - that sucks beyond measure. Sorry about your bad luck, and misfortune. Good insights from the fellow posters. BTW - interesting link. Have to run a thread on it some time, my numbers are below yours for the year - and above if you factor in the last three years. And I gained weight too.
          If you went back to the last three years, my score would easily be in the 1,000+ range. I'm not gonna dredge it all up now, but if you're interested PM me and I'll link you to a series of threads detailing my bizarre career over the past three+ years. There's a lot of **** that occurred before I got to the events in this thread, that's for sure!

I started a workout program, a standard three-day cycle - day 1, cardio (30min), upper and torso strength(20 minutes), warmup and cooldown(10min), day two the same except for lower body strength training, and day three is my "off" day, where I just walk around the track, maybe take my little girl into the pool.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbera
            My sympathies, dude. I feel sorriest for your dog, but that's me. It's probably uphill from here, though, at least for a while.
            Fergie was a great dog, a great guy dog. He had no problem getting into a tussle, his watchdog skills were impeccable, and he had a healthy hatred of cats. What more could you ask in a dog?

Comment

I will PM you. My numbers are up around 600, and - I've had some major health problems.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

This thread is the best advert for slackerhood I've ever read.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

and that's saying a lot
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Hey, John. Dude, you'v failed at stuff most of us will never have the balls to attempt. There's no shame in that. Whatever our differences, I've always admired you, and this doesn't change things.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      and have been going through a form of existential “is this what’s it all about” angst that would have the Lefties rubbing their hands in anticipatory glee…

Not really.

But it is good to do that. Better that than being the idiot with an unexamined life, or the man who drowns his sorrows in work, drink or sex.
                      Actually, drowning one's sorrow in sex doesn't sound bad at all ...
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

@JohnT: Remind me next week, and I'll feel sorry for you. Today I'm busy feeling sorry for myself.

And I really should do those dishes one of these hours ...
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                          This thread is the best advert for slackerhood I've ever read.
                          Eh, all in all it was a very valuable... and different... experience. IF we had had the money, I would've pulled it off. Hell, as late as January 10th, I thought I had taken a large step in doing so. I just wasn't prepared for how fully irrational the investor was.

But I'm glad I did it. Taking over a competitors company because you're pissed at your parents is definitely different, not something that occurs every day nor to everybody.

Same thing with organizing the convention: A convention honoring the (to date) lifes work of Sid Meier, Brian Reynolds, Mark, and Dan, one where you can possibly talk, eat, golf and drink with all four, isn't something that happens every day - so why not do it? It might crash and burn and never happen, it might have an embarrassingly small 5 attendees, it might occur in a radically different way than my original vision, it might be a smashing success...

But if nobody tried, it would be... nothing. And I'm willing to try, which is the exact opposite of "slackerhood". "Slackerhood" is what reduces you to P and E's state, living in their own filth because they got used to the consequences of their laziness until it killed P.

So, whatever you do... don't get that message out of all this.

Comment

Sorry to hear about it, John.

That's some major confluence of unfortunate events.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                            X