A Remembrance of Things Past...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Remembrance of Things Past...

This is going to be one of those Pekka-ish posts – very long, very self-absorbed… as a matter of fact, I will likely outdo the Master for this is a multi-parter already, exceeding the word limit by a bit. However, with the judgment this past week I think we’re coming to the end of what is easily the worst year of my life, even if you don’t count losing a friend, and my beloved dog, being sued, my personal near-bankruptcy, and my fathers heart failure all in the last two months.

It’s long. Sorry ‘bout that, but I did edit out quite a bit. I'm sure what's left is wild-eyed and hysterical enough for y'all to get the point.

The Death of CRG

It began… well, it began long before I got there, but I was there to catch the full force of the decisions made by the other co-owners of CRG:

1. One co-owner was irreducibly lazy. If you dissected him to the smallest part possible, he would have lazy quarks. The quantum vacuum that makes up the spaces between his quarks is smooth as a lazy sea. I was told this, by everybody who knew, but ignored it anyway.

2. One co-owner was congenitally pessimistic. I could live with this, figuring his pessimism sprung from losing so much business – down to 1 million directories when I took over (which ain’t shiite).

Neither co-owner 1 or 2 were particularly imaginative, but they seemed devoted to the company and my belief was that with some more business giving the company some hope that they would improve.

3. One co-owner was exuberant and positive, plus he did financials. I liked his attitude, but there was a single thing that he insisted on that made it near impossible, in my opinion, for CRG to succeed.

I came on board. Improved some operations (routing and verification), tried to inspire and lead my co-owners/workers, started an entire marketing effort including website www.crgdelivery.com (if it’s still up), a targeted mailing/call campaign with professionally designed flyers and brochures, and increased the number of books on the schedule from 1.07 million to 2.75 million in 9 months (which still ain’t ****, but it began paying a salary). I was responsible for a large number of operations, and I had to tend to a number of field projects after I fired one of CRG’s two field managers for insubordination to a client (I was pretty smooth about it too, considering).

I was easily working 60, 80 hours a week – I would come home around 6:00pm, play with Sophie for a few hours, and go back for 3-5 more hours of work. If I was on the road, I was doing stuff all the time. We were making progress and while we weren’t rich yet, we had a few potential large things on the horizon, including a distribution in Louisville, KY that could, if it went well, seal the deal on 10 million more books at excellent rates.

The problem, as it is with many small companies, was financing. And had I known that co-owner 3 was going to insist that he would not support any financing on CRG’s part that required his guarantee, I would’ve never gone on board.

For CRG qualified for a quarter/half-million line of credit via their bank – the company itself wasn’t doing so hot then, but it was showing signs of life and growth and did have a good history (CRG got into trouble in the first place because they lost a client that represented 80% of their business). This line of credit would’ve saved the company had we been able to secure it – but one of the co-owners balked at signing it, saying that putting his name on a loan for CRG (the agreement required personal guarantees from any shareholders owning more than 20% of the stock – we each owned 25%) would detract from his ability to finance his other business interests. (He then suggested that I line up a $50,000 personal credit card and give CRG cash advances when needed! CRG had apparently self-financed itself, with the three co-owners having over $100,000 in personal, home-equity debt that they spent in saving the company, keeping it running from 6/2002-9/2003. It was a point of pride for me that they had to put no more of their money in the company… that’s because I was putting my money in. )

I should've walked right there. I would've taken a $25,000 hit, but I would've saved myself a lot of grief.

That decision not to get the line of credit was pretty much the death knell, though I really didn’t know it at the time and, in fact, thought I could work my way through it. (Of course, the best time to ask for credit is when you don’t need it – why CRG didn’t ask for it when they were flying high in 1999-2002, I don’t know). We had to do something fast: this Louisville job was coming up and we were going to be about $50,000 short by the end of November – something had to happen!

Well… co-owner 2 decided he didn’t want to deal with it anymore and bolted last (2004) July. He was, in large measure the “face” of the company and when he left, and in the manner that he left, dealt CRG’s reputation quite a blow. The fact that we had nearly tripled our business while the salesman (myself) was being distracted by stuff he and co-owner 1 should be taking care of probably didn’t cross his mind.

So, to keep the company going, we had to sell some equity – find a private investor who wouldn’t mind throwing a quarter-million or so at a distribution company, seeing if it would fly – people like that exist, and in larger numbers than you think. We first tried my parents, figuring that CRG could either run as a subsidiary, or be taken over completely. That didn’t work, though it did lead me to reconciling with them. We then met with a local real estate investor here in Knoxville, a guy noted as being valued in the 8 figures. Now he had a pretty good idea, a sort of “outside the box paradigm shift” thing – he pointed out that CRG’s core competency wasn’t in delivering just phone books, but performing saturation deliveries of packages weighing more than four ounces. This re-conceptualizing would allow CRG to pursue a strategy away from phone books and into a larger market – delivering soap and shampoo sample boxes from Colgate, for example. This is where being consumed with the details kills you – this opens yourself up to deals with Fortune 500 companies and you can’t think about it because you’re debating on whether to pay one creditor who will piss off your client if not paid soonest, or paying another creditor who has the ability to shut down an already-going delivery.

Whatever. That’s neither here nor there, what’s important is that we had synergy with this guy: he understood the business and brought some ideas as well as cash to the table. He sold me. And I sold him. Hard.

You see, I had no choice. The most pressing issue from October to December was that the Louisville delivery was a disaster and that CRG had no money to cover an estimated $50-80,000 shortfall by the end of November. With co-owner 2 gone, I depended upon co-owner 1, who is frankly the laziest man I’ve ever met. CRG couldn’t spend its way through the problem as that would make the $50,000 hole increase in size and approach faster, and while I also made two trips to Louisville to talk to the manager, I didn’t have the resources needed to save the delivery.

But… the investor bought it. But he wasn’t stupid – he waited until the very last day, when CRG was gasping its final, dying breath. And I’m not joking – had he not bought CRG, it would’ve had to shut its doors that evening. $4,000 was hitting the bank and there was not a thing behind it.

I had no more money – I had sunk over $50,000 into CRG, giving myself a second mortgage, this on top of a financially disastrous 2002-2003 (during the period that I was subjected to the non-compete and was able to earn no income in my field). The problems with the Louisville delivery and the imminent collapse of the company at large weighed heavily on my soul, a weight I literally felt as my neck, back, and shoulders were contorted so much by stress that there were days which I sat twisted, typing at the computer, my torso oriented away from the keyboard. The headaches were plentiful and nothing could solve them except getting up and thinking about whatever problem was causing the headache – there was no shock when their frequency and intensity started dropping last February.

For those of you who have been there (and I hope none of you have), when your business is failing, and your dreams dying, a never ending complex of problems and issues, schedules and payments, all boiling down to one conclusion – you need MONEY. And in a world seemingly full, where everybody else is awash in it… you can’t get it. It keeps you up at night. You think about it in the shower, in the car, while playing with your kid, while sleeping with your wife – How am I going to arrange things so that the payments come right after the deposits? Is there anybody else I can think of who would be interested in buying into a distribution company, into me? Tomorrow, I need to call our guy in Louisville and talk to him about the bags... which we still need to pay for.

When you internalize everything as I do, it just leaves you racked.

The original co-owners were putting no more money into CRG. They didn’t have it to give, and therefore I couldn’t achieve any other financing other than selling invoices (which is a step above the Mob and a step below pawn shops).

So it seemed until the investor bought CRG. He drove a hard bargain, knowing the company’s position and our personal state of affairs. The shareholders had an agreement both on the terms of the sale and on the direction CRG was to take, but it was harsh – the four of us selling our shares to him at par value, whereupon he will take control of the company. My original $25,000 investment – now worth $500. And not even that, as I was told that my personal expenses on the AMEX bill for the past two months equaled $500, would you sign here please? (Sound familiar?) Mark the day – January 6th, 2005, the day that I lost $24,500 on one investment.

I sold him my stock, got copies of all the agreements and documents (including the notarized, closed certificate and transfer papers) – when I realized just how bad things were getting I made copies of the corporate books and gave them to the other co-owners, telling them it was in their best interest to hold on to them (I then gave the investor the originals - it was his company now). This was the best thing I could’ve done, by far. Nothing beats a signature – nothing.

Because this guy pretty much ****ed CRG in a way that I never expected and was ill-prepared to deal with, both psychologically and emotionally. I had just come off an incredibly grueling 6-9 month period where I watched my efforts to save the company almost fail, finally selling it to a person who could supply us with the financing to allow us some breathing room (You wake up on Monday morning, go to work. You see that you’ll need, say, $17,000 to meet this weeks expenses. You have $0-$12,000 in the bank. Repeat every week, for-****ing-ever. That was my life). My joy and relief on Friday, January 7th was palpable – even though I booked a personal loss of $24,500 the day before, not all was lost – after all, the company was saved. Payroll would continue, there was a new corporate direction, and there were provisions in the agreement for me to regain equity in the new corporate entity, provided certain goals were met. I didn’t have to go through the constant, every-****ing-week worry about payroll, I could finally devote myself to marketing, sales, whatever. I was buoyant with joy – investor was worth $11,000,000! Investor wouldn’t be destroyed if the $100,000+ he will have sunk into CRG turned out to be a bad investment, but that wasn’t the goal in the first place. Suddenly, the last two crappy years seemed all worthwhile.

This feeling lasted three days. Three days.

The investor all of a sudden took the tact: “I bought it, I own it, I’m going to run it”, and so he took control. And I mean TOOK CONTROL – negotiating with our clients, talking to our bankers, opening up a separate checking account for CRG when he ****ed up relations with Bank of America. The first thing he did was tell our largest client (1 million books) that he was going to shut down the on-going delivery unless the client raised the book rate and coughed up the monies that were due upon completion of the delivery – I find this out when the client called me up, asking who the hell investor is and what the hell was he doing??!!? They absolutely freaked, telling me and co-owner 1 that they were going to personally sue us, that they were going to pierce the corporate veil and hold us personally liable. I myself freaked, telling our new investor that his approach was wrong, especially as we were on the final book of a three year contract that is coming up for renewal as soon as this delivery ended. I told him that we haven’t even formally announced the sale of the company to him to all of our employees and clients – his response? “They know now.”

Keeping the client didn’t matter. The investor lived up to his word, insisting he wasn’t going to spend another dime and not doing so, causing our client to pay directly for his delivery and to feel $20k in the hole. The client called me one day about two weeks into this pissing match and asked me if I truly believe that the investor would honor that weeks payroll – after a pause that pretty much answered the question all by itself, I had to answer “no”. CRG wasn’t invited to bid on the new contract.

The Louisville delivery ended pretty much the same way, but worse. CRG got booted from the delivery when the investor called up the client (the very day he bought in) and said he was sending the Louisville manager home, closing down the delivery. To give you an idea of this guys craziness, the investor convinced himself that he could successfully sue the client for putting CRG out of business – even though the investor was the one who caused us to default on the contract, therefore defaulting on most of the final payment. Their attitude was “So? Sue us. That is, if we don’t file first.”

The investors lawyer eventually (I think) disabused him of that notion. I tried, but it didn’t take. Thank God somebody could do it.

Then there was the agreed-upon financing. Rather than having the $50-100,000 in financing, the investor decided to shut down CRG’s accounts for two weeks while he went on missionary work in Costa Rica. Then, while he was down there, he cancelled the original check that he deposited into CRG’s accounts. Even though he continued to negotiate with CRG’s clients while in South America he never mentioned to me that he cancelled the first part of the financing, causing over $20,000 in checks to bounce for, until he decided to stop writing checks, I was happily paying off creditors thinking there was $50,000 behind it.

All those checks bounced.

So CRG had no clients (well, one, but how long would they last? (They lasted one more delivery)). CRG had no money, in fact, we have a bunch of pissed of phone book delivery personnel calling us at work… at home… on our cell phones. Daily. Hourly. “You have 2 hours to perform that wire transfer, or my lawyer is going to file his paperwork – I’m sitting at the computer right now, checking my account.” “Ma’am, I don’t know what to tell you. We sold the company and the guy has destroyed it while freezing our accounts.”… “It’s been 15 minutes since I last called – has that wire-transfer gone through?” “Ma’am? I just tried to call the investor, but he didn’t answer his cell phone. Again. For the 20th time today.” Monday morning at 6:00am, they would call. Saturday evening at 10:00pm, they would call. Thursday night at 1:15am, they would call. I get down on my knees and Thank Og that the phone is in my wife's name, and that her surname is different from mine. They would eat up my minutes leaving long messages, I would eat them up listening to them (at first... after a while you just delete the damn things. I mean, you're not getting paid either so **** them).

I developed a bizarre compulsion to check my cell phone every 30 seconds, scared that I would miss a call, but not really knowing why I was scared because it would’ve been just somebody else calling to yell at me for money. Money that, a week before, I thought was there. I’m still leery of the damned thing, and absolutely will NOT answer a call if it’s from a number I don’t recognize.

We lost ALLTEL with the first bounced check and they invoked a never-used-before clause in the contract about their right to revoke in case of ownership changes. Of course the delivery people called ALLTEL. Many times. Even hourly.

This is one of those things… if you haven’t lived through it, you don’t know what it’s like. The collapse of everything you worked for, the loss of ownership, the assumption of debt. People calling you on your cell phone, wanting money. Clients telling you that they were suing you personally. Your wife, frantic with worry, supporting her husband but concerned over the mounting debt and outraged at the impossibility of the investor situation. (Yes, the man has a name, no, I’m not going to repeat it here). The loss of your dreams, your goals, your image of yourself, of seemingly everything… physical, tangible, financial, intangible… that you worked for 15+ years to create. I’m gonna let you in on a secret – it ****ing sucks. Hard.

There’s a lot more. A lot more, including reconciliation with my parents, and other stuff that I either don’t remember or don’t want to go into this post. Just know this: September 2004-February 2005 was the blackest period of my life, even compared to the past two months, a living hell I wouldn’t wish on anybody. It was bad enough running out of money and watching your business die – selling out to a madman only to have him drive a stake in its heart made it a wrenching experience.

I resigned from CRG in mid-February, though my presence didn’t make a damn bit of difference from mid-January, on. The investor finally put some money in an account that he created, paid off the loudest squawkers, and decided to have nothing to do with me. I know that CRG lost their last client in March but have had no more dealings with them since then, other than one meeting with the other three original co-owners that started with me saying “I am here on advisory capacity only – nothing I say or agree to should be construed with having any effect on the actual decision making process.”

My goals and dreams… reduced to legalistic denials.

Summary?

Did you fight any punks?

Were there any girls with really cold hands?
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The Aftermath

Some time around late January, I think, I had a nervous breakdown. There were signs – the stress, the headaches, that day in early December where I lied in bed for 15 straight hours, unwilling, unable to get out, those times that I would have to pull over, my breathing becoming erratic, my heart beating wildly. The breakdown wasn’t loud or anything, no scenes of crying wives saying “we need for you to see somebody”, no kids asking “what’s wrong with Daddy?”, but there was a four-eight week period where I just couldn’t… go… on, where if I accomplished three things in a day, I felt like I had a good day. I spent a lot of this time with Sophie, swinging, playing with her, taking her to the zoo (we have a family pass), watching hours of TV, laying in bed. I never went to a doctor, never had any prescriptions for it, and it eventually wore off sometime in March/April.

And the effects continue… I am nowhere near the same person that I was when I made my earlier posts about my work issues – nowadays, I don’t care, can’t give a ****, have no desire to get involved, have no goals, and have been going through a form of existential “is this what’s it all about” angst that would have the Lefties rubbing their hands in anticipatory glee… if I actually gave a **** for answers, which I don’t. The idea of getting excited about phone books… or about work… or just anything… is becoming more alien to me as time passes. I’ve devoted my time to the one thing I do care about, my family, and in many ways we’re the better for it.

I have… had… almost $30,000 in credit card balances. When I left CRG, my second mortgage was at $29,000 – it’s been paid down some, but there are higher rate bills out there that need paying more. As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of our cars died and so, not having the money to repair it, we’ve been working with one car since then. We refinanced the house, putting our mortgage at less than $600/month for a 20 year note (thank GOD we underpurchased when we bought our home!), so that helps. I went back to work with my parents, as a consultant, and I can come and go as I need… and I’ve needed.

I still have other clients, but I’ve also spent my time recuperating, getting over the hell that was CRG, Louisville, and mad-dog investors and even madder-dog debtors.

Two moments since I’ve left have tasted of ashes: the first moments when I worked at my parents company, and when I asked my father for $30,000 to pay off the credit cards (I probably sunk more than $50,000 in the company as much of the CC was for hotel rooms, business trips, etc to be paid back “when things get better.”). I’m still working at my parents place, and there’s not much pressure to pay back the $30k… the loan is working as if it’s part of one large apology over a situation never to be mentioned again.

As I mentioned, one thing I was damn sure about was getting signatures. Everybody signed the sales agreement, the investor signed my stock certificate when I signed it over to him (the sale was also notarized, with me getting a receipt (and a copy of the AMEX bill as an attachment to the receipt)). I received copies of all the paperwork, retained other documents that showed his participation and dominance in the decision-making process (I save my emails – I’m just ‘a warning you). I made copies of the companies legal documentation (including articles of incorporation (revised), government filings, the sales agreement to the investor… everything). I had a lawyer review all these documents and he came to one unmistakable conclusion:

As far as I was concerned, the investor bought me out and assumed my liability for any debts incurred by the corporation.

The investor gave me a signed, notarized receipt of my stock. I had my original cancelled stock certificate, initialed by the investor and myself. I had the original sales agreement, signed. I had copies of emails, bank records, etc.

This was needed because CRG had about $50-150,000 in unfunded liabilities when I resigned (not getting that final Louisville check pretty much sealed the deal on CRG’s fate), an amount not including the more than $130,000 in home-equity financing held by the original co-owners, or the $30,000+ in personal loans and CC debt I had given the company. Believing that I was free and clear of any issues arising from debts incurred as a part of operations was a great relief. Up to $150,000 worth of relief at that.

So for the next few months I spent about 30 hours a week working for my parents, maybe less if another client needed me. I spent a lot of time with Laura and Sophie, still the best things in my life, bar none. Sophie is turning into quite a child, a very popular and athletic little girl – she’s about to earn her Orange belt in karate, and her fourth birthday party had over 65 attendees! (More about the party later) Laura has been a pillar of strength and comfort – having her on my side through all this has made all the difference in the world. If I were speaking in my grandmother’s idiom, I would remark how am truly blessed to have them with me and how I thank God every day for them. Which pretty much sums up the way I feel about them.

However… the phone calls and letters started coming in May. People, owed money by CRG, were calling me to collect their money. I contacted my lawyer, we put together a “response package” and I sent it out with every phone call. It was nothing more than a copy of all the legal paperwork showing that the investor was now in control of the company and that I was no longer legally liable for the debt (even though it was my signature on a lot the debt, I made sure that the company was the debtor and that I was acting as an agent for it). Whenever somebody calls, I take their info down, personalize and print a introductory letter that I drew up, go to Kinko’s and fax it from there (no need for them to know my fax number). About 15 pages long, the package has never failed. I paid the calls no heed, thinking that they probably found the website, got my name, and tracked me down (not being part of CRG meant that I couldn’t shut down the website on my authority – I damn well would’ve if I could).

Until August 2nd. On that date, I received notification that I was being sued by one of CRG’s creditors to the tune of $14,000, their position being that “due to the confusion regarding ownership of the company” they were suing the original signer of the agreement and all prospective co-owners, including investor and the original 3.

I had re-entered Hell.

I contacted my lawyer immediately, who got in touch with Plaintiff’s legal department to get the low-down. Apparently, investor has decided that he doesn’t own CRG, a decision made a little more credible by the fact that co-owner 3 decided to bicker his sale of the stock and, by May, had yet to transfer it over! So investor was arguing that we broke the agreement and had, essentially, washed his hands of the entire affair.

It’s odd when you have your lawyer handle something, as opposed to doing it yourself. You do nothing but wait and worry (as opposed to being proactive and worrying, I guess), and then you’re instructed “I have some papers I need for you to look at” or “I’ve been in touch with creditors lawyers, we need to meet and go over a few things.” Then you worry about the upcoming meeting or what it is the papers really say, or whatever. You never meet the people you’re fighting, except in controlled situations where other people do most of the talking, you’re not even really “allowed” to talk to the other original co-owners as you’re not really on the same side any more – it’s every man for himself.

Since the creditor was taking all of us to court, my lawyer moved to remove me from the list of defendants, claiming that I faithfully followed the requirements set forth in the signed agreement, and that there is no question that the investor fully welcomed my portion of ownership as it was his own signature and initials on the receipt and cancelled stock (there were other arguments, such as CRG being a Chapter C corp and thus we weren’t individually liable). The investor counter-argued that his agreement was with all of us as a group and that a breach by one of us (co-owner 3) violated the whole agreement and that therefore he wasn’t liable for it. Since I wasn’t the only one to move for removal, the Judge decided to hear them all at once and a pre-trial conference was scheduled for last Tuesday, October 4th (apparently CRG’s creditors have some pull in the state as my lawyer remarked that it was “uncommonly fast”. They are a large company, a name that you’ve all heard).

The wait for the court appearance was agony. The depression deepened, convinced as I was that I was going to lose and be on the hook for everything and that all the others will somehow get away and leave me holding the bag – after all, it was my signature on the agreement. I was the President of the company. ****. ****. Goddamn. My lawyer told me that he thought the motion had a pretty good chance of succeeding, but what the hell did he know? Laura was in a mild state of panic the entire time, and the closer we came to the hearing, the less mild it became. At least I didn’t have to worry about the mounting, eventual 5-figure lawyer costs to fight this as it, too, was paid by my father (they’ve had a good year – they bought a $2 million 15-acre horse farm and paid a 50% down payment on the place).

Another thing that was uncommonly fast (in my opinion, I have no experience with this sort of thing so it could be always this quick). The Judge’s decision. The lawyers made their case, the Judge was presented with the documents, and within the hour it was moved that I was no longer on the list of defendants, that I had no legal liability for this debt even though I was the signatory. One other co-owner got off, but co-owner 2 and 3 apparently didn’t follow the original agreement (they had two months to turn their certificates over – it wasn’t as if they missed a 20-minute window) and they were held, along with investor, as continued defendants.

The relief is palpable. The best dog I have ever owned died a few days prior, but I felt 200% better, the gloom beginning to lift. Sophie’s fourth birthday party also helped, a gala with 65 attendees, including 30 children. It was pirate-themed and Sophie made a beautiful pirate – if I can be bothered to get the pictures on a computer, I’ll show you.

But ****… I’m just tired.

Back when I was born (1967), a couple of psychiatrists developed a stress/health index scale based upon events that happen in the past year in one’s life – the http://www.markhenri.com/health/stress.html]Holmes-Rahe Social Readjustment Rating Scale[/url]. While the idea of a “one-sized fits all” scale like this causes s******s nowadays, the underlying idea is sound – basic lifestyle changes causes stress. On the scale that they devised, “with a score of 150 or less, you have a 37% chance of becoming seriously ill. Between 150 to 300 and it jumps to 51%. Over 300 and there's an 80% chance of serious illness in the next 2 years.”

I scored 485. And that doesn’t include the 20 points for starting a new (hell, my first-ever) exercise regimen to help reduce the 40 pounds I’ve put on over the past 2+ years.

So, I’m sorry. I really, truly, deeply apologize for doing the convention thread and then bailing, but with P’s death (and the gruesome nature of his living conditions), the argument with Laura, and the lawsuit happening all within the same 48 hour period, I just couldn’t deal. I had things in my own life that I had to take care of, and as is my want, I took care of them, but in doing so I kept too closely to a promise that even my wife “didn’t really expect” me “to keep” (So she tells me last night when I mention that I’m getting back online. Oh, the ****ing irony. It’s killing me.) But, again, I am appalled at how I handled this (hell, I’m appalled at the way I handled most things the past three years), and I truly regret it. It sucked too, the timing of P’s death and the lawsuit, as the convention was the first non-familial thing I really cared about in months… at least since January 10th, if not before.

There’s more to follow that I’ve already typed. I’m going to post it, answer Dan’s email, go to bed, and see y’all tomorrow.
      Last edited by JohnT; October 13, 2005, 01:29.

Comment

In memory of P...

Btw, this is heavily edited. Let’s just say that some of the things I said in regards to E.’s handling of the situation could be construed as accusing her of a crime and I’m glad that I’ve taken the time to edit it. What I do know is that what I saw the night of Tuesday, August 2nd was the most disturbing thing to which I’ve ever been witness.

On Sunday, July 31st, Laura and I meet E (sorry, you’re gonna have to get used to the initials) for lunch – P, her husband, is home, “not feeling well” but he says “hi” and E takes him some chili-cheese nachos. C, another female friend, joins us, Sophie behaves herself and everything goes well. There was no hint at all that anybody expected P to be dead within 36 hours. None.

Let’s start at the beginning. Laura is friends with “E”. E is married to “P”, who is the sickliest person I know, bar none. In addition to massive birth defects that have left his legs in a twisted mess, P has various regularly occurring infections and illnesses, to the point where hospital visits about one disease or another were a monthly item (learned after his death – he and I weren’t so close we’d talk about his medical condition.) Earlier this year P was so yellow from jaundice that I couldn’t help but sneak surreptitious glances during our dinner – Is he really that yellow or is it the crappy lighting in this restaurant?... Damn! He is! That can’t be! It’s hard keeping up a discussion about movies and Sophie and work when you’re wondering if the person sitting on top of you is as sick as he looks – he didn’t act like it, but the yellow was unmistakable as it was the first thing Laura mentioned when we were alone in the car.

Anyway, E and P also came to the Murderball screening on Tuesday, 26 July, which was the last time we saw him alive.

On Sunday, we have lunch. And buy a bed.

So… our new king size bed was delivered on Monday morning, with the delivery people setting it up for us and removing the old mattress. We bought some new linen (comforter, sheets, etc), and spent Monday evening getting acquainted with our new purchases… and then fighting.

But we made up (of course) and, after a very pleasant night’s sleep, we were all nice and cuddly when we woke up. Sophie was still asleep ( ) so we had some time to relax and get into the swing of things quietly.

Until the phone rings.

Laura: “Hello”
        E: “….”
        Laura: “Oh my God!”

P was dead. He had checked into the hospital the previous evening, developed either a blood infection or bacterial meningitis and passed away just 10 hours later. It was totally stunning news, coming out of the blue like that, but not utterly shocking because he was so sickly. An autopsy was being done that morning to determine what exactly killed P –meningitis was one of the big worries, of course. Being parents, we naturally thought about how Sophie was all hugging and snuggling all over E during lunch on Sunday. At least that turned out to be nothing.

After I went to work, Laura made some calls and got in touch with C. Arrangements started to be made. I was, in turn, contacted by my lawyer about a totally different matter (see above).

Now it might be different elsewhere, but here in the South one common reaction by women to a loved ones death is to start cleaning: at times of severe distress, many women turn ruthlessly pragmatic, and their first thought is “Oh, sh*t, I’ve got company coming over and the house looks horrible!” And that’s what I thought was happening when I heard that Laura and C were going to E’s apartment to begin cleaning late Tuesday afternoon.

I was wrong about the motivation to clean. As it turns out, the hospital didn’t need to do an autopsy: if they just send somebody over to see P’s home immediately after his death they would know what killed him.*

I receive a call around 5:00pm:

“You’re not going to believe this place! I have to take Sophie home; I can’t let her run around in that… filth!”
        “What? What’s happening?”
        “E’s place is just trashed, John! Can you come and help – it will mean a lot to me.”
        “Uh… sure.” Not really wanting, but it would be petty and small to refuse.

I go and meet Laura and Sophie at E’s apartment, taking Sophie home. Luckily for all involved, Sophie’s friends just got home from day care and, after I explained the situation to their mom she offered to take Sophie for the evening – Sophie then spent the next three hours playing and eating dinner at her best friends house: an unexpected treat! I proceeded back to E’s place.

You know… I really don’t know how to describe their apartment. I mean, the poor guy is dead and he wasn’t all that healthy to begin with so I don’t want to sound as if I’m bashing him or his wife … but then, she was fully capable and it was well within her ability to give him a different environment, one more suited to a person with his injuries. What I saw was simply the most profoundly disturbing act of neglect I’ve ever witnessed.

There are two types of trash: stuff, which is tangible non-degradable items such as boxes, paper, knick-knacks, bags of clothes, etc, and then there’s filth, which is pretty much anything organic, moist, capable of decomposing or harvesting bacteria.

There was plenty of stuff in P and E’s apartment, but it was the filth that got to me: the bags of rotting garbage on the stove, the spoiled bottles of condiments in the kitchen, urine and **** stains courtesy of their pets on the floor, linoleum, couch, and TV stand, the piles of dried, blood-stained unwashed cloth bandages in the bedroom… and in the bathroom… and in the laundry room. What smell do you think is worse: the openly sickly-sweet stench of spoiling food combined with the sharp odor of dog piss, or the gag-inducing coppery undertones emanating from bloody rags with warm semenical undertones to the scent in their bedroom? This was the place to answer that and other questions to which you never really wanted the answer.

The grocery sacks of unpaid bills under the dresser were nothing, a blessing when you got to them because they are paper, they are clean. Disregard the implications these bills mean in regards to their finances, you’re just thankful that they’re there so you don’t have to pick up something far more vile, of which there is plenty.

It was that kind of clean up job.

My breaking point was reached in their bedroom, where they slept, where they … ugh… slept together. The mattress was absolutely disgusting, with dark red stains all over ½ of it, some stains running over onto the side: the thing was smeared with blood, and not just recently – there’s been enough over the year(s) to soak into the padding! To top it off there was a pack of condoms, one opened (never saw the used one ( )) right there in plain view.

Apparently, P had a very bad case of varicose veins, a case so severe that they would constantly burst – and this condition had been ongoing since before he met E. According to E they’ve been getting worse over the past year or so, and finally they just wouldn’t stop bleeding. P’s casts were apparently there to “bind” his legs to prevent the veins from popping. They didn’t work, especially when he was lying down. And P’s legs weren’t really designed to keep him upright, not without support they weren’t.

Listening to E and E’s mom explain this, I was just stunned by it all: over the past year, this poor guy was actually dying of the filth and blood he was producing… and not a single person knew or cared. Not even his wife, the stupid, ignorant cow. It’s obvious now what happened and what has been happening – P was getting sick because he lived in a filthy environment, and he lived in a filthy environment partly because he lived with a woman who was totally unprepared to take care of a person in P’s condition (P did have severe mobility limitations.) To be blunt: Their negligence to keep to a minimum level of cleanliness was a contributing factor in P’s repeated illnesses. With the amount of blood and urine and **** and medicine, the apartment was nothing but a biohazard, no two ways about it, especially to a three year-old, most especially for somebody suffering freaking bloody, oozing sores.

I mean, just WTF is wrong with people? How can one live like that and openly state “We don’t know how P keeps getting sick, it’s just one of those things”? It’s not the twelfth ****ing century anymore, we know about blood and germs and rotting garbage and germs and dog crap and germs and oozing sores and germs and bloody bedding and germs and… Is it laziness? Is it cruelty? Is it a mental illness? Was she so “overwhelmed” by the responsibility that she just “cracked”? Because there’s no way any rational person could look at this apartment and think that it didn’t have a negative impact on the quality of his life, and the grim expressions on her mothers and friends faces as they looked around the place told me that they knew it too.

However, in E’s defense, let it be known that P always mentioned proudly how he beat his own doctors prediction and live past the age of 20 (P was 12 when the doctor openly predicted P had eight years left – yeah, P lead a hard life) when he passed away at 32. And P was more than mobile enough to do his fair share of housecleaning – it doesn’t take much effort to clean a dish or remove the trash. I don’t know – maybe walking was more painful for him than he let on.

Laura’s take is totally different, she has a lot more empathy with E, saying that she was in over her head. This is true to an extent, but P was always like this and had the varicose veins and the birth defects when they met. E should’ve honestly asked herself if she was capable and willing to pick up the burdens needed to assist someone with those problems. I guess she got her answer.

Anyway… at one point they wanted to turn the mattress and approached me as I was the only guy around. I refused, just flat out told them there was “no way in hell I’m touching that thing” (I pointed at the mattress) “with my bare hands.”

I’ll be glad to take bag after bag of smelly refuse, I’ll joyfully clean out that nasty refrigerator with the moldy leftovers in it, I’ll steam clean the urine stains on your couch, hell, I’ll even clean the forest of pubic hairs surrounding your toilet, but I am not… touching… that… mattress. We all have our breaking points and like I said, the mattress was mine.

P was cremated. There was a 3-hour wake on Wednesday night, and the service was Friday. The doctors determined (well, somebody strongly recommended) that the body was “not fit for viewing,” and the rumor is during the autopsy, when the doctors cut off the casts around P’s legs (he’s had them as long as I’ve know him, at least 3-5 years), the stench was overbearing – apparently they weren’t anywhere near as clean as they should’ve been. Of course, I think of the agony it would’ve been to remove the things while P was still alive. Damned if you do, damned if you don’t: no ****ing ****. His service was nicer than I expected, but the only person who cried was P’s father.

Sorry P. I don’t know what you did to piss off the fates as you did, but pissed they were. Somebody seriously owes you one: you’ve lived the hardest life of anybody I know and then died the saddest death.

* Disclaimer: My wife and I (well, my wife ) are very neat people – our “messy” is likely cleaner than 80% of your people’s “clean.” We also have a strong distaste for consumerism, the wanton buying just to have and to hold so our house is dramatically sparse in decoration and items – we have room to park both of our cars in our garage while having our attic utterly and completely empty.

Comment

Angus McFergus IV (1992-2005)

Angus, or “Fergie” as we called him, was the best dog I ever had. He was my friend and faithful companion for over 13 years until his death Saturday, September 24th 2005.

Laura and I moved in together in December of 1991 and we had the usual adjustment problems – we just decided to accelerate them, apparently. We argued a lot, easily far more any time before or since in our relationship. I used to credit Ferg with saving our marriage, but I was probably over-exaggerating… or not.

After a month or two I realized that perhaps if we had somebody else in the home it would help divert emotional energies that we were using to claw at each other (yes, I thought (and think) that way). Knowing Laura missed her Scottish Terrier (Fala, who remained with her father until his passing in 1995), I told her that for our birthdays we could probably afford a dog of our own. I researched (much harder to do pre-internet!) and called some breeders and finally selected a male, “pet-quality” Scottish Terrier. Laura selected the name, and we met the breeder in Eastman, GA and got our puppy.

Lord, we sucked at being dog owners at first – (sorry, Ferg, but you were the first dog we owned as actual “adults.” We made a fair number of mistakes with you that won’t be made on the next dog). We had a hard time housebreaking him, until we decided to crate him for a half-year (i.e., put him in a crate during the times that both are gone from the house). We had a pen set up in our kitchen and we put up with that nonsense for way too long. Ferg also had a problem with fleas in the beginning, though most of that was because we were living in college-level housing and had a wide plethora of “pets” in various stages of ownership always around.

He was a great watchdog, with an intensity that was a joy to behold. One thing about Ferg – he definitely had a big-dog bark. For starters, even as a puppy he was in the 95%-ile for his breed in size, length, height, and weight. Then couple that with a broad and deep chest, and you had a dog that sounded like he weighed 75 pounds but weighed 35.
          Hearing an approaching noise, he would stare at the corner of the door and just growl, prompting me or Laura to yell “Hush! Fergus, quiet!”… “BWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!! RUFF! RUFF! RUFF!”

He always had to have the last word too, his barks declining in tone and volume, but always after you said “Hush.” It was a pattern – loud barks… “HUSH!”, lesser barks… “Fergus, be quiet!”, even quieter barks… “Silence, Fergie!”… (wait 5 seconds)… quietly “Huff.” The last word – every time.

We took him to our wedding, though Laura nixed the idea of him being at the altar. But he was there for the reception and our official shot was of the three of us. Though I bought Fergie for Laura, it became readily apparent that he was going to be my dog, that mine was the voice he would listen to (Scotties tend to bond towards one person and one person only). This caused a little bit of friction, but we realized there’s nothing we could do – the dog is going to make his own choice. I asked Laura if she wanted another dog, but she said no, a decision that stuck until we acquired Shelby.

[Shelby]
          Shelby is our basset hound, still with us. We acquired her for free, though the accounting clerk who arranged Shelby’s rescue (Shelby was a rescued basset) was, at the same time, stealing $130,000 from my parents company. I always call Shelby the most expensive dog in history (my parents got their money back, so this isn’t really true – but it makes for a good story). The two breeds made a surprisingly good mixture, their personalities complementing each other. Though we did have to have Ferg cut about a week after getting Shelby (who herself was then spaded a few months later).
          [/Shelby]

Ferg was with us wherever we went – he even went on a few vacations (especially if they involved family destinations). He traveled well and never got carsick (as opposed to Shelby who was all drool and swaying belly and vomit).

He began going downhill about two, three years ago. He got Cushing’s disease, which caused his liver to swell, pressing against his heart. This past spring he developed a cough/wheeze that never completely healed, and there were times this summer when he could barely walk 3 paces without starting to pant. He finally developed this hacking cough this past July, which a succession of antibiotics and asthma(!) medicine treated. Unfortunately, his Cushing’s disease was advancing, he developed hypothyroidism, and with four medicines giving conflicting instructions, his body just couldn’t take it. Friday night he had a bad spell of panting, his heart just pounding. We put him in our bathroom (a favorite place), turned down the lights and noise and calmed him down. He finally joined us in the bedroom but after we went to sleep, he went back into his bathroom, lied on his beloved rug, and passed away, his big heart finally coming to rest, his loud bark silenced but for our memories.

I awoke around 7:15am and my first thought was to check on Ferg. I went into the bathroom, turned on the light, saw him lying there, and knew. I put my hand on him, told him I loved him and would miss him, and rose to tell my wife.

In the next hour and a half decisions were made that strained us in a way that all the other **** I’ve gone through in the past year hadn’t: We had a miscommunication as to how to treat Fergie after he passed. My wife was content with cremating him, where I always envisioned burying him in the backyard, with us performing a little ceremony (Laura recoiled a little bit at the idea of having a dead dog in our yard – I told her it wasn’t like I was going to plant him at the base of the slide). I went along with my wife and, for starters, was most dissatisfied with my treatment at the vets – here a 7-year patient had died and not one of the three people who saw me said “I’m sorry” or any other condolence. These two women came out, joking about their plans for the weekend, rolled Fergie onto a stretcher, and walked away without saying a word.

Needless to say, I felt like a **** for how Fergie was treated and how we treated him. Being a guy, needless to say, I let it fester for the next 7 hours or so, until I blow up at Laura, telling her that I think we treated Fergus horribly, that I will always be ashamed as to how we just dumped his body with people who care nothing but for their $43.00 check. Even though I took Ferg to the vet to make her happy, I really didn’t need to take it out on Laura – it’s not like it was her who actually did it.

I left to cool off, and while I’m gone Laura calls people frantically, trying to see if we can retrieve Ferg’s body. She finally gets in touch with one of the vets, who calms her down and says that Ferg is still in the cooler at the vet’s, that the county doesn’t pick them up until Monday morning. If I meet them Sunday at 8:00am, I’ll be able to pick up Ferg.

Which we do. I wake up around 6:45 Sunday morning, grab a shovel, and start digging. About 3 hours later (interrupted by the trip to pick up Ferg – luckily, he’s in a solid body-bag which is tied-off with a fair amount of medical tape) I have a hole about 4X3X4 (feet, not meters). The family comes out, Shelby included, and we say goodbye to Fergus. While Sophie had seen part of Ferg on Saturday morning (we had already wrapped him in a blanket by the time she woke), she was pretty convinced that he was still at the vet. She’s coming around now, and is toting around various Scotty things in her life - our photo album of him that we made when he was a pup, her book on Fala (FDR’s Scottish Terrier), some Scotty figurines. Typical Sophie remembrance:

“I like Scotties. Do you like Scotties, dada?”
          “Yes, Sophie. I like Scotties very much. Do you?”
          “Yes. …dada? Do you love Fergie?”
          “Yes I do, Sophie.”
          “I love Fergie, too, dada. Fergie dead, dada. Fergie dead. Awwww… poor Fergie.” She then goes to Shelby
          “It’s OK, Shelby. It’s OK that Fergie’s dead. It’s OK.” she kisses the dogs head.

(It’s all I could do to stop from laughing and bawling at the same time.)

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
            Summary?
            My business failed.
            A friend died.
            My dog died.
            I got sued.
            I almost went bankrupt and am still deeply in debt.
            I had a nervous breakdown.
            I reconciled with my parents.

Comment

Well that explains why you've been away for so long. We missed you. Very, very sorry to hear all this sh*t happening in your life.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

(there were other arguments, such as CRG being a Chapter C corp and thus we weren’t individually liable)

The most important thing, in my mind. AFAIK, if you acted in good faith you can't be held personally liable for the debts of a limited liability corporation no matter what your ownership position.

Anyhow, the really important thing here is that you still live in a first-world country. You still have an education and marketable skills. If your financial situation takes a nosedive, you and your family aren't going to starve to death. I'm not saying you shouldn't worry about this ****, but it's good that I see you taking a bigger-picture view of it. I'm sorry you had to deal with so much **** recently, but I don't really have any doubt that you'll be fine.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                  A friend died.
                  That part was the worst of it.

The rest sucks, but it wouldn't cause me nearly the heartache...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah... but failure sucks. P I knew, well enough to eat out as a couple (me and Laura, he and E), but not well enough to go drink beers with without the wives. His death was sad, but not surprising as he was so sick to begin with.

I devoted my life and savings to CRG. I had promises to my employees, promises to the creditors, promises to my wife... all of them, broken. I was immersed in it for over a year, easily the most intense project I've ever attempted... and it failed. Disasterously.

That sort of stuff gets to you in a way the sudden-but-not-shocking death of somebody relatively-close to you does not. Like CRG, P was sick, literally living beyond his years... but I was in charge of CRG, not P.

Comment

Companies go bankrupt all the time. Don't take it personally.

Learn from the mistakes you made (both personally and in trusting people you shouldn't have). Next time you shouldn't make the same mistakes.

Other than that, you need to forget about it. Rerunning everything constantly is going to cause you to burn a hole in your gut from worry.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

This was my company, a company I got involved with because of personal reasons (see previous threads). How could I not take it personally?

Anyway, I was getting over it. Until the lawsuit, that is.

Comment

Jeezus, John. That's a **** sandwich.

I've been there. Had a business fail that meant everything to me. Wasn't much interested for a long while.

Only comfort I can lend is, relax. Forgive yourself.

You get over it, hopefully. And if not, you have Laura and Sophie, and they are most likely more important anyway.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Because it was your company. Not you.

Hell, I fail every day. Sometimes I fail in little ways. Sometimes I fail in big ways. I recently had two months' work go down the tubes because of a stupid assumption I made about the behaviour of a function.

If I let myself get an ulcer from that I wouldn't be the happy person I am today.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I don't have an ulcer.

I just gained 40 pounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X