No announcement yet.

The new wine thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things people need to keep in mind about French wine is most of it is not meant to be quality wine. The vast majority of French wine is table wine, a weak, slightly vinegary slop that is drunk in place of water, since water supplies in France are so god-awful.

The other thing to keep in mind about French wine is that the weather in France is not very consistant, and they have bad years as often as good. Always research your French wine purchase so you don't end up with a bad year.

The best French wines are definately worth the experience, but I find Italian wines are great, inexpenseive, and far more consistent than French.

As previously mentioned by Spiffy, Hungarian wine is quite yummy, and while they are famous for their Tokaji (a desert wine) there is a lot of wonderful vino there.

Alsatian wine is wonderful, a blend of German and French wine culture.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      One of the things people need to keep in mind about French wine is most of it is not meant to be quality wine. The vast majority of French wine is table wine, a weak, slightly vinegary slop that is drunk in place of water, since water supplies in France are so god-awful.

Well, it used to be like that, maybe 60 years ago . Now, there is good water everywhere in the territory, and most people drink wine for the taste. Table wine is a cultural value only in some small part of the population.

The French wine growers now try to attract to middle class by offering either tasty or prestigious-sounding wines. They also sell abroad whatever crap they can, by using the remnants of the prestige of our wine-growing culture (a prestige that they piss away, btw).

The other thing to keep in mind about French wine is that the weather in France is not very consistant, and they have bad years as often as good. Always research your French wine purchase so you don't end up with a bad year.

It is also becoming false. The French wine growers, especially those who export, manipulate their wine on order to homogenize the taste across years. The Brodeaux growers, who do everything to make their wine as wood-flavoured as possible, typically attempt to mask the variable taste of the fruit behind the taste of wood.

Alsatian wine is wonderful, a blend of German and French wine culture.

(btw, don't try Württemberg wines - I've never tasted anything acceptable there)
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Sorry, but it is one of the most incredible things i have read in this forum.
        Ich bin der Zorn Gottes. Wer sonst ist mit mir?

Comment

Working...
        X