A question for Roman history buffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for Roman history buffs

The LL is writing a book, and just needs some info about Roman aqueducts. For instance, how closely were they guarded? Would it have been feasible for someone to sneak into a city via one? Things like that.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Just a guess, but seeing as how they were usually many miles long, and in places, subterranean, then the lengths of them weren't very well guarded.

I doubt you'd be able to sneak into a city via one, since the Romans weren't complete morons. They'd probably have iron bars blocking off people but not the water.

And poisoning them would have involved a huge effort since they moved huge quantities of water continuously.

Of course, this is just me guessing, if a book is being written, real sources are needed. I'll see if I can dig some up.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Who's the LL?
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

The Libertarian Librarian, the key player in "project Guynemer".
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

In 536 AD Flavius Belisarius took Naples by sneaking past the walls through an aquaduct early in his campaign to reclaim Rome and the Italian penisula for the (eastern) Romans from the barbarian ostrogoths.

Comment

Taking the city via the aquaducts was a common enough tactict, though generally what an opposing army would do is simply cut the aquaduct and let the city die of thirst.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              The Libertarian Librarian, the key player in "project Guynemer".
              I don't think she's your kind of Libertarian, Drake.

And thanks everyone. You've been a big help.
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Don't mention it.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I have some Roman military questions.

1.What did the Romans consider to be a 'bank' of oars?

Livy mentions navies with open-decked ships, biremes, triremes, quadriremes, and the Roman quinquereme.

I used to believe it refered to the rows of oars arranged in tiers, but the idea of the quinquereme with 5 stories of oars seems a little ungainly. There is a part where it is implied that quadriremes are exceptionally large.

2. The legionaries' swords and sword tactics: I have heard the gladius described as a 'short, stabbing sword', heard scholars say the legions would raise shields and stab underneath them at close quarters, and in...err..'Gladiator' the gladius is used as a stabbing weapon.

However, Livy, in 'Ab Urbe Condita', recounts the aftermath of the battle of cynoscephalae, describes the horror of the Macedonians at seeing the "new kinds of wounds which they had never seen before, the wounds inflicted by the Spanish sword. Arms, heads, even legs were lopped off and laying strewn about..." Elsewhere, he keeps referring to this 'Spanish sword' as a slashing weapon.

Also, I have read other scholars who claim that the gladius was used primarily as a chopping, machete-like weapon, which was why it was short and broad.

IMO, the Roman legionary may have carried two weapons, a chopping longsword and a stabbing 'longknife'. Or that different units carried different swords.
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

The gladius could slash or hack while many legionaires also had a spear with a long narrow tip. The narrow tip helped to pierce armor but also would bend when used. The result is the enemy couldn't pick the spears back up and throw them back at the Romans.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

Livy mentions navies with open-decked ships, biremes, triremes, quadriremes, and the Roman quinquereme.

I used to believe it refered to the rows of oars arranged in tiers, but the idea of the quinquereme with 5 stories of oars seems a little ungainly. There is a part where it is implied that quadriremes are exceptionally large.
                      I'm of the same opinion as you regarding the arrangement of oars (namely that they are arranged above each other in horizontal rows)

2. The legionaries' swords and sword tactics: I have heard the gladius described as a 'short, stabbing sword', heard scholars say the legions would raise shields and stab underneath them at close quarters, and in...err..'Gladiator' the gladius is used as a stabbing weapon.

However, Livy, in 'Ab Urbe Condita', recounts the aftermath of the battle of cynoscephalae, describes the horror of the Macedonians at seeing the "new kinds of wounds which they had never seen before, the wounds inflicted by the Spanish sword. Arms, heads, even legs were lopped off and laying strewn about..." Elsewhere, he keeps referring to this 'Spanish sword' as a slashing weapon.

Also, I have read other scholars who claim that the gladius was used primarily as a chopping, machete-like weapon, which was why it was short and broad.

That's bull****. For a slashing sword you want a long, curved blade which is heavily weighted. There is no way that a gladius (aka Spanish sword) could inflict the sort of injury that Livy describes on a large scale. Decapitation and dismemberment are fairly impressive demonstrations of a sword's value, and there's no way that the gladius of the time would have been effective in accomplishing that. Also, the slashing motion is much less effective when it must be accomplished in close formation (which the Romans loved fighting in). Slashing is built for melee fighting where the lines become rapidly confused.

IMO, the Roman legionary may have carried two weapons, a chopping longsword and a stabbing 'longknife'. Or that different units carried different swords.

The latter is more likely. Livy might have been confused and ascribed the work of another weapon to the gladius.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                        The gladius could slash or hack
                        It could, but was far less effective with the edge than with the point.

An effective slashing sword required much more heft, a better quality material and a curved blade.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The gladius was designed to be short so that it could still be used in the dense masses and tight lines which typified ancient warfare. The blade was wide and tick so that the wounds would be hard to bind and instead would continue to bleed while the tip came to a narrow point to aid in piercing armor. It's amazing the amount of thought they put into designing the perfect sword for their densly packed lines of shields.

The gladius was primarily a thrusting sword ideal for quick trusts into your enemy from behind the shield wall without getting tangled up in other people, however, if you wanted to hack off an arm it would do a great job of it.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

"Spanish sword" makes me think more of a falcata, which (I think?) was a predecessor of the gladius. Maybe the gladius retained some of the falcata's chopping ability?
                            Lime roots and treachery!
                            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker

I may be wrong, but I think the problem how the oars were exactly arranged is still not fully resolved in history or acheology, not even for the classic triremes, and therefore also not for higher ranking warships. There were some reconstructions made of ancient Greek triremes (ha, who said historical science cannot have experiments?), but I don't know if they finally answered the question.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X