World to the US : Hand Over The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snoopy369
    I'm also quite curious ... how does this physically work ??? ICANN controls the root DNS servers, IIRC, so that means if Europe wants to take over (their own) internet, they'd just start some DNS servers that don't link back to ICANN, and suggest/require that European servers don't send ICANN their DNS entries??

I have a feeling that this will end up being a national-level-control situation, where ICANN controls American servers, EUCANN controls European ones, CCANN controls Chinese servers, etc., and little tiny countries like Nigeria get to pick who they team up with. The only problem, is that there are only 256 base IP addresses (ie 0.X.X.X, 1.X.X.X, ... 255.X.X.X), so they'll have to somehow split these up ... probably America gets over 100, Europe gets 70-100, China gets a small amount, etc. ...

Edit:
    I wonder if it's possible that instead of splitting up the 1.X.X.X addresses, that they'll add a fifth level:

(US).X.X.X.X
    (EU).X.X.X.X
    (CH).X.X.X.X

etc... obviously numbers instead of letters, say 0 = UN, 10=US, 80=EU, 150=CHina, etc. ... separating the numbers by a lot so as to have room for more US numbers later on.

There's no particular reason we use sets of 4 0-255 in IP addresses ... and we'll eventually need to increase the number anyway ...

The only issue is that all current software would have to be set up to accept the fifth digit. It's quite possible that a workaround could be done at the DNS level temporarily, for a few years, until we used up all of the available 255.255.255.255 ip addys ...
    the root dns servers hand out names and IP addresses. These servers also handle resolution of those names into their respective ip addresses.

so you type in apolyton.net and your dns server either tells you the ip, or goes up the chain to the next dns server above it(and so on until you get to the root servers) to say this is the IP address you want which is 67.15.24.46 according to the dns server in the other room from me.

from here you then use address resolution protocol to actually find where that IP address is. This is done independently of the root servers.

As to the increased IP range, IPv6 will take care of that, but it will be some time before it is in place.

anyone can set up their own dns servers so even those tiny countries can set up their own directory if they want.

Now with different directories means that while the US/EU servers will point you to apolyton if you want apolyton.net, Nigeria will most likely point you to a spyware/spam/popups page that isn't apolyton.net.

I don't know how that will affect ARP if a computer in China(for example), also claims to be 67.15.24.46.
    [edit] ok arp works on a segment basis, and to connect between these segments you need the proper routing table, but each segment does arp, so depending on which routing table you use you go to either or.[/edit]
    Last edited by Whoha; October 10, 2005, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      It's not nessecary to split the adress room, just place filters on the lines to US that only allows presplit adresses to cross.

It will not take long before US have to give in and rejoin the rest of the world.
      how much does the US use outside net?

how much does the rest of the world use US net?

because it would work both ways..

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller

how much does the US use outside net?
        Not much.

Far less than you think - main part of traffic is local.

because it would work both ways..

JM
        Of course, but since the presplit adresses would be open for traffic, it 's only new US adresses that would be hit by the blocade.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

A lot. Blackcat is incorrect on this score.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

1/5th of Americans have never used the internet. I suspect, but cannot prove, that this is largely the elderly population.

In the mid-1990s, 1/2 the world had never used a telephone. I doubt this has changed significantly. If you haven't used a phone, I'm going to guess you haven't used the internet.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

A lot. Blackcat is incorrect on this score.
              I'm not that sure. Professionally my guess is that I use US sites 25-30 % - the rest is danish or european. Could be even less since there are local mirrors/danish versions for oracle and MS.

Privately, more than 95 % are local. Poly is a great part of those 5 %
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Professionally my guess is that I use US sites 25-30 % - the rest is danish or european.
                Remember that many site are like Poly, in that they are hosted in the US, even if they aren't run by Americans. Also, even local traffic often runs through US routers. Lastly, any international traffic most often runs through US routers.

The US dominates internet traffic much more than its geography would suggest, because ISPs have fatter pipes to the US backbones than they do among themselves locally.
                Last edited by DanS; October 10, 2005, 15:22.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Remember that many site are like Poly, in that they are hosted in the US, even if they aren't run by Americans. Also, even local traffic often runs through US routers. Lastly, any international traffic most often runs through US routers. The US dominates internet traffic much more than its geography would suggest.
                  One of the purposes of mirrors and local language sites is to avoid unnessecary jumps such as across the atlantic, so if you are talking about EU, I sincerely doubt they made such.

Countries with lesser developed networks probably goes through us.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

There was a big uproar about this several years ago, even among those countries with well developed networks. I assume that this is still true.

It's a real non-issue as far as I'm concerned, considering that a hop across the Atlantic and back isn't wasteful, as far as the internet goes.

Comment

My Take:

Government "observation" quickly turns to regulation quickly turns to control which, as we all know, turns to sheit.

As for buisnesses running the internet; it already does!

Creating a commitee to watch what happens on the internet is worthless. What they need is a commitee that would be involved. Help guide the internet, give kids a place to turn besides internet weirdos, and help create security systems to prevent identity theif and monitary theif.

We, the public, see them doing this kind of stuff because they are trying to figure out how to control the internet, and tax it, because the newest stamp didn't sell the way they had hoped.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

In the mid-1990s, 1/2 the world had never used a telephone.
                        Are you sure about this?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

Are you sure about this?
                          I wouldn't be surprised if it was to high.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

They should give control of the whole lot to Greece. Then the entire net would be a lot more like 'poly.

Uh, is that a good thing?

Comment

I think this may be a dupe thread

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Well, let mark know in a PM and I'm sure he'll close this thread
                                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X