No announcement yet.

Religious extremists oppose cervical cancer vaccine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DanS, did you just say that 'I don't believe it's true' plus 'and they're right anyway'.

??
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

No.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

ok. I guess I didn't understand then.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I was saying that this group isn't necessarily representative of the religious right, even though it might be a big group. Further, I agreed that what they were saying is true, inasfar as it goes (not very far), that abstinence is the only surefire way to not get HPV or other STDs. I do fear that this vaccine will give people a false sense of security, but I think it wouldn't be right to oppose the vaccine on this basis alone.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
            I doubt that even most whacky fundies oppose the vaccine, although I do note that there are no other vaccines of which I am aware that are given at age 12. This is just a tempest in a teacup.
            Tetanus booster.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

DanS -Red Herring. Besides Tetanus, vaccines are given at both younger and older ages, depending on their nature. Age 12 is appropriate (other vaccine are given when appropriate via scientific study), and given the science quoted earlier reference deteriorating results if given later, should not be delayed. I DEFINITELY intend to have my little girl vaccinated, even if I have to go to Canada.

By the way DanS - ever hear of rape? Or abuse? But on the Altar of Regligious Correctness, we need to leave those children unprotected (and don't argue reference giving it ridiculously earlier to make it absurd - that's what scientific studies are for - sort of like - :whisper: economic studies). If you do not believe that there is anything germane reference that - "...but I think it wouldn't be right to oppose the vaccine on this basis alone." What would be the right basis then? Oh, and Bush's FDA blocked Plan B over this so-called argument over adolescent sex by a physician, Dr. David Hagerd (google him) appointed by Bush. The man "pray's" with his women patients over menstral pain.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I DEFINITELY intend to have my little girl vaccinated, even if I have to go to Canada.
                Why would you have to go to Canada?

By the way DanS - ever hear of rape?
                Ever hear of not being patronizing?

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
                  Tetanus booster.
                  Thanks.

Is this given out in the schools as a normal course of operations?

Comment

I know a girl who had been raped and got HPV that way.

I also know some girls who have gotten it through normal contact with men. It really destroys their self-esteem, in addition to the health risks of cervical cancer. It also makes it hard for them to have a relationship with a man, because of the risk of them spreading HPV to the man.

Most people carry the HPV virus, it's just a very small amount of people who actually develop any infections.

This is a breakthrough vaccine.
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

When it comes to morals, individuals apparently can't be trusted to do the right thing, according to Focus on the Family and a myriad of other activist groups. To them I say: Stay the f*ck out of my life or I'll destroy yours in return.

Crabby? Me? Never!

Gatekeeper
                      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

My senior highschool teacher told us guys to always wash our Cheynies before sex, in order to avoid inflicting this kind of cancer to girls. And that was 20 years ago.

Perhaps his daughter being one of our class mates had something to do with it.
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                          I know a girl who had been raped and got HPV that way.
                          That's what she gets for being a Godless harlot. HPV is God's way of saying, "Dress like a slut and ye get what ye deserve. Now you'll know better than to leave the kitchen..."[/FamilyResearchCouncil]
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

When it comes to morals, individuals apparently can't be trusted to do the right thing
                            I dont think that anyone would say that this isn't the case. It's just that others can't enforce morals on others.

Comment

The Human Resource Manager of my company just had her "package" removed to save her from death in cervical cancer. She looked very healthy just a few months ago, until they found out and had to make a panic operation. I think she's 45 or something, so she had many good years left in her. Now we still don't know if she will survive at all, and she will definitely never be herself again. Cutting out the sexual organs from a person must be one of the worst kinds of encripplement.
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

Thanks.

Is this given out in the schools as a normal course of operations?

It is not typically required by schools, unlike other immunizations. However, given local school boards and state laws, your mileage may vary. Regardless, it is always recommended to our patients.
                                "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                                "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Working...
                                X