No announcement yet.

Hundreds Dead in Powerful Asian Earthquake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buildings collapse, people fall and break their necks, stuff falls on them, car accidents, etc...

Confirmation of a final death toll will be difficult because many bodies are buried beneath the rubble.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      I honestly don't understand how so many people die in these things. I mean, it's the ground shaking. It's not like big pits open up and swallow people. How do most people die?
      Do you honestly need to ask this?

To EmFab's list you can add landslides if the terrain is weak. The time of day makes a huge difference as well- if it happens when most people are indoors, the death rate will be higher.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        Do you honestly need to ask this?
        Yes.

None of the descriptions I've heard of earthquakes in California and Japan ever sound like something that is particularly dangerous.

Comment

Yes.

None of the descriptions I've heard of earthquakes in California and Japan ever sound like something that is particularly dangerous.
          The '95 Kobe earthquake killed 5000 people.

Maybe you missed my statement about building codes. Buildings in California and Japan are supposed to by law stand up to most quakes-this is why if a big quake hit, the death rate would not be huge. IN a place like Kashmir, I doubt they have building codes, and in the rest of Pakistan they are probably a joke.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

In addition this eqarthquake was about eight times stronger than the ones in California and Japan. The Richter scale is logarithmic.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I honestly don't understand how so many people die in these things. I mean, it's the ground shaking. It's not like big pits open up and swallow people. How do most people die?

You should watch video footage of glass panes exploding out of frames during an earthquake, or even mundane objects cascading off high shelves- inside and outside a building become danger zones in often unexpected ways.

In Afghanistan during a previous earthquake a clay built dwelling collapsed, with the clay falling apart and suffocating the inhabitants, who were found sitting up, smothered by powderized clay.

Then there's fires, ruptured gas pipes, burning oil, masonry and rubble falling on people, car crashes, derailments, trees falling on cars or bicycles, death from starvation or thirst, shock, heart attacks, blood loss...

oh, and infection and septicaemia.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I am quite shocked by the high number as well and I can only seriously hope that the rerected buildings will be stronger. After all the indian plate is moving up north and more quakes are only a question of time.

Comment

USA mandates a "sway regulation" on all tall structures.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Then there's fires, ruptured gas pipes, burning oil, masonry and rubble falling on people, car crashes, derailments, trees falling on cars or bicycles, death from starvation or thirst, shock, heart attacks, blood loss...

oh, and infection and septicaemia.
                    And now comes a blizzard

(That's at least what they said on my radio news this morning)
                    Last edited by Chemical Ollie; October 17, 2005, 16:45.
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                      Bloody hell
                      I am not sure about the bloody part, but Hell is quite an accurate term for the area now.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yeah, maybe now some people might realise why making fun of a disaster is a stupid thing to do, or that defending said people is also a stupid thing to do...

These people are poor, many of them live in shacks on unstable ground - of course more of them are going to die, especially when the earthquake in question is many orders of magnitudes greater than the CA or Kobe examples...

Still, hopefully Kuci has been edumacated and is now less ignorant on the subject...
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

And keep in mind that Kashmir is largely valleys with large mountains on the side, so rockslides form a major component in these things. I mean these are the foothills of the Himalaya's.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                            Yeah, maybe now some people might realise why making fun of a disaster is a stupid thing to do, or that defending said people is also a stupid thing to do...

These people are poor, many of them live in shacks on unstable ground - of course more of them are going to die, especially when the earthquake in question is many orders of magnitudes greater than the CA or Kobe examples...

Still, hopefully Kuci has been edumacated and is now less ignorant on the subject...
                            Eh, what the ****?

Comment

Eh, what the ****?
                              I think that MOBIUS in his usual nice and venomous way has said that you might have learned the lesson that earthquakes several magnitudes higher than CA eartquakes and in areas with lower building standards actually are dangerous.
                              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I was wondering more about the first two paragraphs. And I knew they were dangerous, I asked how they were dangerous.

Comment

Working...
                                X