our_man fumes at the UK transport system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• our_man fumes at the UK transport system

Right. This is both an angry rant and (probably) a futile cry for help. Circumstance has it that I must travel down to Leicester to attend the UK Space Medicine conference next week. Blissfully unaware of the distances involved in traversing from Glasgow to Leicester (sure, isn't the UK only a small island like Ireland), I began my transport search in earnest on the web.

I was to be profoundly disturbed by what I read - the cheapest way to get there is by coach (National Express), and that'll cost me £50 and take 9 hours. God knows why they're having the conference in Leicester anyway, as the nearest airport is East Midlands, and they seem to deliberately have the flights at the most awkward times possible. I haven't tried the rail service yet as I was told it was prohibitively expensive, but it looks like I might have no other option...

Where are some cheap, enterprising Chinese bus companies (Fung Wah in NY - yeah baby!) when you need them!

So, this is a heartfelt plea for all you British polytubbies for travel advice to Leicester, from Glasgow. Any suggestions, preferably cheap & fast, appreciated.
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Probably a shortage of the Chinese mafia in the UK.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

buy a car
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Might as well move to the States, if he does that.

He might try renting a car for the day or two of the conference.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Cheers for the ideas guys, but I still only hold a provisional driving licence.

Comment

Try hitchhiking. Then you only pay with gas, grass or ass.
            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Try the trains, although they probably are hideously expensive.

Edit: £70 pounds... not return.

Comment

Fly to Birmingham

Comment

How far is the trip in miles from Glasgow to Leicester?

Comment

From the top of my head about 300.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

For the record I have become convinced that Leicester is the biggest kip in the UK, and I really, really regret having to go there. I'm trying to sort out my accomodation problems now: get this folks - in a city of 300,000 people, there isn't a single youth hostel. Not one. The closest thing is the YMCA, and that's booked out. Budget accomodation is non-existant. What a pathetic city.

Comment

Biggest kip? As in sleep?
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

As in trash kip.

Comment

don't you mean skip? and yeah leicester is a bit of a **** hole.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I wonder how you pronounce that thing

Comment

Working...
                              X