No announcement yet.

our_man fumes at the UK transport system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't too bad when I went there the other day, the centre is quite nice, as is the area around the university.

Comment

Find out how much a train costs using an APEX ticket... it should be reasonably cheaper than normal fares.

Also, doesn't the conference offer some kind of accommodation? I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a room in the university halls of residence (if the conference is taking place in the university, which I assume it is). I went to a big science conference in Leicester and I recall they offered uni accommodation. I didn't take it, so unfortunately I can't comment on it - I stayed with a friend.
      mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

I tried looking to get to Edinburgh recently and was suprised how relatively expensive it was. Cheaper to get to Prague or Amsterdam

I think the train fares are supposed to go down if you prebook well in advance, Sorry, not much help I know
        Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

Do the circumstances not allow for springing someone for travel expenses?
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Also, doesn't the conference offer some kind of accommodation? I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a room in the university halls of residence (if the conference is taking place in the university, which I assume it is). I went to a big science conference in Leicester and I recall they offered uni accommodation. I didn't take it, so unfortunately I can't comment on it - I stayed with a friend.
            They sent us out a list of hotels in the area, that was it. The cheapest was £40/night. I tried e-mailing Leicester University yesterday and they said they had no student accomodation to rent out; I emailed de Montfort Uni but I still have to hear back from them.

Er... Adrian, (this is a longshot, I know) but how would your friend feel about a complete stranger sleeping on his floor (if he lives pretty central)? Clean-living, charming Irish medical student with no criminal record, has own sleeping bag? Jeez, I hate to ask something like that but I'm almost out of options. I still hope to get a place but having a fallback option would be pretty great.

I tried looking to get to Edinburgh recently and was suprised how relatively expensive it was. Cheaper to get to Prague or Amsterdam
            Yup, you're right. I'm going to Amsterdam for a weekend in November. Transport AND accomodation add up to £89, total. That's a GOOD deal.
            STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Hon
              Find out how much a train costs using an APEX ticket... it should be reasonably cheaper than normal fares.

edit..
              @ our_man,

Yeah if you have to go by train look to travel off peak(like in the afternoon) and not on a friday or the weekend. you can save about 50% of the regular fare.

But yes travel around the uk is prety rubbish, infact outside of a major city if you dont have a car, or dont like to try hitch hikeing, then your at the mercy of a very expensive transport system; one that isn't worth what your forced to pay

better take a sleeping bag if you cant find a place to stay, then you can crash where ever you can find!
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by our_man

Er... Adrian, (this is a longshot, I know) but how would your friend feel about a complete stranger sleeping on his floor (if he lives pretty central)? Clean-living, charming Irish medical student with no criminal record, has own sleeping bag? Jeez, I hate to ask something like that but I'm almost out of options. I still hope to get a place but having a fallback option would be pretty great.
                Unfortunately I don't think she's still at Leicester - she's another med student but I think she's graduated now. The fact that she's a 'she' also complicates matters

Few other possibilities. Find out if you can share a room with another conference attendee - that might cut things down to £20 a night. Also consider getting accommodation further outside Leicester. Inconvenient, but might produce more results.
                mssv.net - After Our Time - Six to Start

Comment

There's always the National Express
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Right. I've managed to get a ticket as far as Birmingham for £29. I should be able to pick one up from Birmingham to Leicester for £7.50. It's still not cheap, but it's a hit my wallet can take. Watch this space for further unfolding travesties.

Comment

Originally posted by Timexwatch
                      Try hitchhiking. Then you only pay with gas, grass or ass.

I haven't seen that bumper sticker in about 30 years.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                        There's always the National Express
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          9 hours on a coach for £50? You're kidding, right?

Comment

Ready to go!

OK, everything's booked. As a cautionery tale for those godforsaken souls that must travel to Leicester, beware! I'm paying £30 for one night's accomodation, the cheapest I could find. I have never seen a city with such inadequate budget accomodation before.

On the plus point, I did quite well on the transport in the end: £36 via train to Leicester. Going back I managed to actually find a decent price on the National Express - £9 to Glasgow from Leicester! There are some bargains to be had if you search long enough! 11 hours on the coach though - at least it's overnight! All together now...

Take the national express when your life’s in a mess
                            It’ll make you smile
                            All human life is here
                            From the feeble old dear to the screaming child
                            From the student who knows that to have one of those
                            Would be suicide
                            To the family man
                            Manhandling the pram with paternal pride
                            And everybody sings ba ba ba da...

Comment

9 hours on a coach for £50? You're kidding, right?
                              How much? That's pretty expensive - it is usually cheaper than that...
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

For the record I have become convinced that Leicester is the biggest kip in the UK
                                You've never been to Coventry have you.......?

Comment

Working...
                                X