Is it wrong to laugh at this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it wrong to laugh at this?

I went to see "The History of Violence" today with my father. Great movie, BTW.

But there was a preview for another movie, "Brokeback Mountain".

Here... please go to this site and watch the trailer for it before reading the rest of my post...

In 1963, rodeo cowboy Jack Twist and ranch hand Ennis Del Mar are hired by rancher Joe Aguirre as sheep herders in Wyoming. One night on Brokeback Mountain, Jack makes a drunken pass at Ennis that is eventually reciprocated. Though Ennis marries his longtime sweetheart, Alma and Jack marries a fellow rodeo riders, the two men keep up their tortured and sporadic affair over the course of 20 years.

okay...

now that you have seen the trailer...

what is your reaction?

after the preview ended, the theatre was silent... my dad and I just looked at each other and we burst into uncontrollable laughter!!!

Nobody else in the theatre laughed.

Is it wrong to laugh at this movie?

You guys all know my politics. I'm socially liberal. I support gay marriage. I love gay people. I support everyone's right to live their lives as they want. I especially hate ignorant conservatives and religious people that say gays are evil and immoral and stuff.

But I just can't help but find this movie completely ridiculous and hilarious!

Even the name is gay sexual inuendo!!

And my father, who has aphasia from his stroke, keeps calling the movie "Bareback Mountain" which just keeps making us laugh even more about it!

We told my mom about the movie, and she was laughing about it too! And Her best friend, BTW, left her husband a few years ago, moved to Cape Cod, and recently got a marriage license with her life partner!

So we are not bigots here! okay!

I am purposely refraining from using smileys in this opening post.
    Yes! Only a bigot would find this funny!
    16.67%
    No, it is obviously funny!
    33.33%
    banana mountain would be a better title
    50.00%
    To us, it is the BEAST.

I think it's okay to laugh at it.

It's not a movie I will see because it's just not something that interests me.

Honestly, I think if you had been alone, either one of you, neither would have laughed, it would be a fairly uncomfortable moment for men to see, so laughing is a natural reaction.

ACK!

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

2 acks!?!

I think Sava doth protest too loudly. He knows he is a bigoted scum bastard.

Well maybe not. I think Tubs hit it on the head with "it would be a fairly uncomfortable moment for men to see", tho I'd add most men.

I prolly won't watch it either.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben
        2 acks!?!
        Added something to the post after typing ACK the first time, then automatically added it at the end of that addition.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

now that you have seen the trailer...

what is your reaction?
          Wheres Mel Brooks
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Wasn't there a South Park episode with a film festival showing a flick about gay cowboys eating pudding?

Comment

Well, now that I've seen the Eventis thread on this I know what movie you're talking about. I won't say it was "wrong" for you to laugh at it, but I will say it was pretty damned inappropriate for you and your dad to do so.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

fair enough
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would have laughed too.
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

I saw the trailer, and since I know first-hand what it is like to live in a heterosexist, and a homophobic society, and what it was like to struggle accept myself as a gay man when I first realized it, I found nothing to laugh about.

I was moved by the trailer's portrayal of two men struggling with their love for one another -- a genuine struggle that too many gay men have to deal with, given the type of society we live in.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm sorry, but you have to have a sense of humor about these things. I see stuff that offends me all of the time, but if I got upset about it all of the time, I would become an angry old bore.
                      "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Comment

I should point out, it's not the actual subject matter I found funny. It's the manner in which they presented it.

and the title, for Pete's sake...

and look at the slogan... "love is a force of nature"?

gimme a break!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

What was funny about the trailer in the way they presented it?

Is it so unbelievable for some of you to see two masculine men romantically love one another that you burst into uncontrollable laughter?
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I'm sure if someone saw a film trailer about my love life, they would be rolling on the floors laughing their asses off with tears in their eyes.

Sappy love story trailers are funny. The only reason anyone is taking this seriously is because it is such a politically sensitive issue. It's really just another "chick flick."

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                              Is it so unbelievable for some of you to see two masculine men romantically love one another that you burst into uncontrollable laughter?
                              yes.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                              X