Nobel Prizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobel Prizes

The 2005 Nobel Prizes will be anounced his week.

The prize for medicine was awarded today to two Australians for their discovery of the role of bacteria in stomach ulcers.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Other prizes include
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Peace
    Economics
    Literature

Thoughts or comments on who might win, or the importance of the work of those who do win?
    Old posters never die.
    They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

they say that Bono from U2 (!) might get the peace prize.
    other top candidates are US senators Lugar and Nunn and former Finnish president Ahtisaari.
    CSPA

Comment

Here are odds by the Australian betting agency Centrebet:

# 4-1 -- former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari, who brokered peace efforts in the Balkans and Namibia.

# 6.5-1 -- U.S. Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., and former Sen. Sam Nunn, D-Ga., for their program to dismantle Cold War-era nuclear arsenals.

# 7-1 -- Rock musicians Bono and Bob Geldof, who have campaigned to ease Third World poverty.

CSPA

Comment

Possible Economics winners:

Robert Barro (Harvard): micro foundations of macroeconomics
        Eugene Fama (Chicago): efficiency of financial markets
        Jagdish Bhagwati (Columbia): trade and globalization issues
        Peter Diamond (MIT): retirement / aging issues
        Paul Romer (Stanford): really cool stuff on economic growth, but he's too young to win
        Old posters never die.
        They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Interesting how much time lapses between discoveries and awards. I had an h. pylori infection in the 90s.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It's always like that.
            They usually want to judge a little bit the medium-term effects etc...

Comment

Once again my efforts here have been overlooked.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yeah, it's a real shame that the breakthroughs and the prizes are so far apart in terms of time.

Last year, a couple of professors from my university ( ) got the Nobel prize for Chemistry for work they've done in the 70s.
                urgh.NSFW

Comment

No idea who they're looking at this year.

24 hours till the big one...
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The medicine prize couldn't have gone to a more worthy couple.

I remember when this was discovered. The theory that bacteria caused ulcers was ridiculed by "scientific concensus." Marshall actually drank the bacteria -- giving himself ulcers -- and then cured the ulcers with antibiotics. This is a story that should go down prominently among the history of science.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The economic one wasn't established by Nobel /nitpick

Comment

Notice how I restrained myself this time, Adam?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Bono might get the Peace Prize? What, is not enough of a joke yet?
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                            Bono might get the Peace Prize? What, is not enough of a joke yet?
                            Give it to Arafat again.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Can't award Nobels posthumously, I thought.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X