Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I connect an Ipod to an Amplifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I connect an Ipod to an Amplifier?

Hello there peoples; I recently got an Ipod mini, and was wondering whether it could be connected to an amp (and therefore to the speakers I have in my room). Does anyone know how it can be done?
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Its easy, buy a cable and plug it in. With something like this, for example:

You can also use an iPod Dock: they have a line-out. That way its more elegant There's even a Kensington Dock with a remote control. But its more expensive.
    Last edited by Nostromo; October 3, 2005, 00:17.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Thanks nostromo, but which cable is it exactly? The link is broken for me.
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Its the Monster iCable for iPod 7ft. One end of the cable is a standard AV plug, the other is a small headphone plug, so that you can plug the cable in your headphone jack. Like I said, the other, more elegant, option is to buy an iPod Dock. You connect your Dock to your stereo with an AV cable (a standard one, I suppose) and voilà, you just have to insert your iPod in the Dock to output the music on your stereo.
        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

A far cheaper solution is any ordinary headphone-to-RCA cable. I don´t know the prices in Australia, but in Sweden you can get a 1,5 m cable for ~5$ (compared with the iPod-cable that costs like ~50$).
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The Monster cable probably sounds better.

Comment

Yes, but It´s mp3 for chrissake Hardly hifi at 128 kbits...

Comment

Dr. Zoidberg pretty much has it right.

While Monster cables are nice, seems like a bit too much for what's needed here.
                B♭3

Comment

I went to a hifi show where they displayed a speaker cable from Kimber. Thick like a fire hose and cost ~$13 000. Probably very good if you have the right equipment to hook it up to...

Comment

The cables you're speaking of, btw... the adapter can be had at Radio Shack for under $7, and a cable for under $15.

(Radio Shack has high prices, largely because it doesn't really have much in the way of competitors, alas.)
                    B♭3

Comment

You need a adapter to the Ipod? Isn´t it an ordinary headphone socket?

Comment

A review of the iPod as the sound source for a hi-fi system

These guys are crazy.

Before running these tests, I tried to keep an open mind. I heard a pretty spectacular demonstration at the 2004 CES of Wilson Audio speakers, hosted by Dave Wilson himself where an iPod was the surprise digital source hidden from view. I never would have guessed.

The truth is the iPod can sound spectacular - but only under certain circumstances. Let's take it one step at a time. Here's how I set the experiment. Using Apple's free iTunes software (Mac or PC), I loaded a number of high quality CDs into my library using a wide range of sampling rates for AAC, then again in some high bit rate MP3 and finally using Apple Lossless Compression. Then I loaded this library onto both iPods to prepare to do battle against the original CDs played through the Meridian G08. For those of you unfamiliar with the G08, it follows a long line of breakthrough CD players from Meridian. While it doesn't sit at the top of their line (that honor falls to the 800 series), the G08 in my experience is unbeatable in the sub $5,000 class. The amplifier is my trusty Perreaux Radiance R200i and the speakers are the Wilson Benesch Act 1s, freshly upgraded with Bybee Quantum Purifiers. I wired the entire system with Nordost Valhalla power cords, interconnects and triwire
                        speaker cables except for the connection between iPod docks to the amplifier. I tried two cables here, the first Monster's iCable ($29.95 for a 7ft length), and the second the much more expensive Crystal Piccolo iPod cable ($399 a meter). Before jumping into the listening tests, a few things about the iPods themselves. First the packing is simply superb, the instructions are crystal clear and who can resist the Jewish grandmother's admonition on the box, Enjoy!

Comment

Yes, but It´s mp3 for chrissake Hardly hifi at 128 kbits...
                          You can go higher than 128 Kbps, you know Mine are all in AAC @ 224 Kbps.

And face it, CD's will go the way of the dinosaurs and MP3 will replace them, except you'll have better quality MP3's for your stereo.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                            The Monster cable probably sounds better.

Monster cables are over-hyped, over-priced crap.

They cost so much because the company needs legal fees to try and sue every company, product, and website that has 'monster' in its title.

Comment

Seriously, if you want to go go with the Monster cable, more power to you.

But why pay $50+ for something when a $15 cord could do the same job, just as well?
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X