Canadian Thanksgiving in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starchild
    They've always been a stictly savoury food in my house. Most often used to hold a pool of gravy that soaks into them oh so deliciously.

They were one of the few food items I remembered with fondness from school dinners.

I love their slight elasticity, a chewiness reminiscent of sourdough bread, but almost with the pliability and texture of pancakes.

I hope you have a successful Gourmet Night, sweetie. Bon Appetit!

Duck's off:
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

Then you've never had a well cooked turkey before. When I cook, and I am the designated cook these days, I always slit the breasts and insert pats of real butter. There is an herd blend I rub all over the bird then I use an oven bag with rosemarry, quartered golden onions, quartered potatos, chopped carrots, balsamicc vinager, and olive oil. Heavenly when properly roasted and browned.

Not to mention the find garlic bread crumb stuffing which you pull out of the bird.
      Putting lots of condiments and stuffing with poultry merely means you are tasting the condiments and stuffing on a poultry texture. Don't get me wrong I love a well cooked bird with trimmings, but that doesn't detract from the fact that there is little innate flavour in chicken (compared to many other meats). If you are going to add flavours you need to make sure its on a meat that can absorb it and that is prepared properly. That's were I see the difference - in the ability to absorb flavour and the texture it provides the palate. Maybe I am splitting hairs though....

Either way, I prefer the dark meat of chicken to the breast.
      Last edited by Dauphin; October 3, 2005, 15:35.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

And to be fair again, duck or pheasant are superior to turkey or chicken, which can be quite bland even in the hands of a skilled cook.

Whereas a large duck breast, cooked to perfect state of pinkness, sliced open and filled with a red wine, cream and wild mushroom sauce is a feast for all your senses.

On a sidenote I've never understood the British fasciantion with turkeys... The Americans I can sort of understand, most plentiful game bird in colonial times and all that, but something like pheasant or grouse must've been what British upper classes had for christmas.

Comment

Blame Bernard Mathews - turkey tycoon.

Apparently his farm in Norfolk produces more turkeys than anywhere else in the world.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

chicken and turkey are both good

however, you eat turkey on Thanksgiving... not chicken...

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday (despite the fact it was born out of the era marking the beginning of the genocide of the native americans ) because of the food

turkey
            stuffing
            potatoes
            gravy
            cranberry sauce
            jello (my aunt makes this awesome jello thing)

football is all right on thanksgiving (I think it's usually Detroit playing someone and Dallas playing someone)... it would be better if da bears played, but I can't remember if they have ever played on thanksgiving or not
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              Blame Bernard Mathews - turkey tycoon.

Apparently his farm in Norfolk produces more turkeys than anywhere else in the world.
              Being in Norwich, I should at least be able to get a decent turkey for this.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
              X