Canadian Thanksgiving in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian Thanksgiving in the UK

I've grown to quite like the holiday of Thanksgiving having lived in the States and Canada and am annoyed that two years running I've managed to forget to celebrate it. So I decided this year to embrace pure multiculturalism for a day and bring Canadian thanksgiving to my friends in England. After all, I celebrated PanCake Day in Canada so it's only fair.

And right on que, everything decided to fall to pieces with a week or so to go. I've got two friends who aren't talking, two who are waiting to have a fight and one that mopes about the house cause of his lack-of-a-love life. So putting these people in the same room together with knives and alcohol is not really the saniest option.

Good old Thanksgiving, a time of year when people can get highly stressed and family tension is the norm. It's like I never left Toronto.

I think I may just have a turkey sandwich next monday and call it quits.

Venting over.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Pancakes

(and not those sh1tty ones you yanks have)

Comment

I'm going to throw a lot of energy into Guy Fawkes/Fireworks Night this year. Last year was just wandering about watching fireworks eating chips. This year, effergy burning
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Forget the liquor and just have a big turkey. No one can move after eating turkey, let alone fight.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          just have a big turkey. No one can move after eating turkey, let alone fight.
          And don't let anyone else handle the carving knife.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I'm afraid of giving them spoons, forget the knives.
            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Just you wait until Christmas They always tend to be fun in terms of domestics.

Actually to be fair, the Christmasses in recent history have been very calm affairs - just me, my mother, my sister and my nephew. I always associated Christmas with having a fever until I realised it wasn't that, just that my mother and sister always have the heating up so high it just feels like it and that is how my brain records it
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And Ross, get yourself some Kevlar - I hear it's all the rage in Baghdad at the moment
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Thanksgiving tends to be a warm up for the really big rows at Xmas.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Aye...
                    Speaking of Erith:

Comment

My father is from Scotland and his sister normally goes back to Scotland to visit family at teh end of Nov. so she ends up cooking a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Supposedly it is very easy to find all the fixings even in a po-dunk Scottish town like New Kalmarnick.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Aye. The only thing that I can see being a problem finding is pumpkin pie. Everything else I can find at the local market.
                        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I've never understood why people love eating turkey so much when chicken is so much superior.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                            chicken is so much superior.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Forget both, just give me the chipolatas wrapped in bacon.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X