Canadian Thanksgiving in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
    I've never understood why people love eating turkey so much when chicken is so much superior.
    QFT, as they say...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
      I've never understood why people love eating turkey so much when chicken is so much superior.
      You're on crack.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Imran, did you have your tastebuds gouged out as a child or something?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Neither have flavour, so quit yer yappin'.

If you want flavour go with a game bird.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Chicken > Turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
              Ain't that the truth
              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Good to see you are on the ball there.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                  Neither have flavour, so quit yer yappin'.

Then you've never had a well cooked turkey before. When I cook, and I am the designated cook these days, I always slit the breasts and insert pats of real butter. There is an herd blend I rub all over the bird then I use an oven bag with rosemarry, quartered golden onions, quartered potatos, chopped carrots, balsamicc vinager, and olive oil. Heavenly when properly roasted and browned.

Not to mention the find garlic bread crumb stuffing which you pull out of the bird.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Chicken has more flavor, but turkey's more likely to feed a family gathering. Turkey gravy beats chicken gravy though.

Starchild, just make your own pumpkin pie. You have to have some kind of canned pumpkin or squash there.
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      Not to mention the find garlic bread crumb stuffing which you pull out of the bird.

I hope you par cook the stuffing first. It's a good way to get food poisoning if you don't.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Last year was just wandering about watching fireworks eating chips.

I have never seen a firework eating a chip.

The only thing that I can see being a problem finding is pumpkin pie.
                        Oh you heathen. Cook it yourself- we had a Hallowe'en party in our student house at university years ago, and had roast pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pie and pumpkin soup and pumpkin scones.

We put the kibosh on the idea of a Thanksgiving celebration as well though, because we were definitely all pumpkined out.

In Victoria though, we have pumpkins all year round, rather than just an Autumnal gorge-orgy.
                        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

In the end, everyone came up to me and said that since this matters to me, they'll put aside any animosity and celebrate my small-t thanksgiving with me. And I've outsourced some of the cooking to them to ease the burden on my poor kitchen.

So, celebrated a day early so everyone can attend, my hybrid English Sunday Roast/Canadian Thanksgiving will see nine friends and I sat down eating:

Turkey,
                          Stuffing
                          Roast Potatos
                          Mashed Sweet Potato
                          Peas, Broccoli, and other veg
                          Onion Gravy

and Yorkshire puddings. Just cause they're amazing if not strictly North Americano.
                          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Oh and homemade pumpkin pie.
                            Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                            -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Mashed Sweet Potato

Are you roasting it before mashing it ? Much sweeter that way, I find.

Mmm, toothsome Yorkshire puddings. Are you having them savoury or sweet, or both ?
                              Attached Files
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

They've always been a stictly savoury food in my house. Most often used to hold a pool of gravy that soaks into them oh so deliciously.

The idea of roasting meat without having yorkshire puddings is nigh unthinkable to me. Between that, understatement, and a fondness for dark humour will forever mark me as an Englishman (err...give or take all the celtic blood)
                                -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Working...
                                X