Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think the US is better off now then in 2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idealogical issues aside, the one overriding thing about this administration that must be considered is the poor, poor job of "administration" itself.

This boils down to simple management skill, the ability to keep the country running, and the ability to identify issues and respond to them.

This is where Clinton kills Bush hands down, it's not even close.

There are Michael Browns (the former FEMA director) at every level of our bueuracracy, even at the Pentagon, and even at the Inspector General's office, which is supposed to be independent to keep the government in check.

Cronyism is a part of every administration, but in this case, heads of departments have been overwhelmingly chosen based on their connections and abilty to "play along nicely" rathar than their competent skill in the subject matter at hand. The Pentagon, for example, has basically been gutted.

This more than anything is alarming and has been demonstrated firstly in the Iraq debacle (both in the runup to the war but mostly the actual war itself), and secondly in the poor Hurricane Katrina response.

This Time article spells out the details with lots of examples:

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      Iraq was an honest mistake.
      I doubt St. Peter is going to buy that line...
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yes, it's all about our image in the muslim world, isn't it?

I put my anger with the people who think increasing funding for anti-terrorism efforts helps to stop islamic extremism, check your facts.
        And what do you suggest Clinton could have realistically done? Does Bush also get your ire or does he get a free pass?

The reality is in 1998 it very much was a psychological opporations type war of ideas. It still is only now we're worse off then ever due to Iraq.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Wait until the next batch of Abu Gharib photos are released.
          You haven't seen the recent "Hunting trophy" pictures with US soldiers posing over dead Iraqis, have you? Just wait until that reach US media.
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Since I've buried a family member due to Bush's little "adventure", and one of his main contributors, Lockheed-Martin, is getting my job at the expense of my retirement in a less than a week - I think I will choose Bill, or Al Gore thank you very much.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Iraq was an honest mistake.

There is absolutely nothing honest about this war.
              "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
              —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Originally posted by shawnmmcc
                Since I've buried a family member due to Bush's little "adventure", and one of his main contributors, Lockheed-Martin, is getting my job at the expense of my retirement in a less than a week - I think I will choose Bill, or Al Gore thank you very much.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Wiglaf... what is your point? Yes, Clinton administration knew about Atta... AND BUSH IGNORED THE WARNINGS CLINTON GAVE HIM ABOUT TERRORISM (INCLUDING PEOPLE LIKE ATTA)

you just hurt your own case
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                  X