Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ming
    Oerdin...
    I didn't want to start a new thread on this joke, but figured this was the most appropriate place for it since it is classic republican bashing... So excuse the short thread jack, but I though you would like this one... I did

Nice to see chain e-mail jokes circle the globe so well.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by vomitus

Huh?? If I'm rich, and I want to give my wealth to my kid when I die, what on earth is wrong with that? It's my money. It doesn't belong to the government or anyone else.
      Get a good accountant and you won't have to pay a penny in tax anyway.

Comment

Estate tax is an income tax. Not just any income, either, but completely unearned income. It's possibly one of the fairest taxes there is.

Comment

Huh?? If I'm rich, and I want to give my wealth to my kid when I die, what on earth is wrong with that? It's my money. It doesn't belong to the government or anyone else.
          Ah, capitalism based on the premise that there's something magical about the current system which entitles you morally to unfettered rights over whatever objects come into your possession....
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oerdin...
            I didn't want to start a new thread on this joke, but figured this was the most appropriate place for it since it is classic republican bashing... So excuse the short thread jack, but I though you would like this one... I did

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It would be fairer if it were based on the income of the person receiving from the estate rather than the person whose estate it is.

Maybe it does in some countries?

Comment

Ming
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Indeed.

In fact, if the estate tax was taxed as earned income then the government would collect a hell of a lot more of it than it does currently.

Less than 3% of deceased Americans leave an estate which is taxable.
                  12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Killing it is the new killing it
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Since when do the dead have money?

Every regime has the right to decide what happens to individual estates once the estate holder no longer exists.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A wife can inherit without the tax.

This is how quite a few family farms ended up in the hands of large corporations or developers. The kids had to sell all/part of farms to pay the taxes. I assume that those that support estate taxes approve of this.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Oerdin...

Now that was funny

The joke of course.
                        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

ahhh yes... the "family farm" argument...

let's scrap the estate tax so the super rich can benefit because 0.001% of estate tax cases involving family farms get screwed...

I'd very much support amending the estate tax to protect family farms so that this doesn't happen.

the problem is, repukes use this strawman argument in support of repealing the estate tax

as if republicans give a **** about family farmers
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Other small business can fall into the same category if the wealth is tied up in the business.

Estate taxes are fine in principle but exceptions must be made for those caught in the wider net.
                            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I give a crap, and I'm a republican. So your generalizations are an insult.

A few of my college buds who's parents had farms near the campus had to sell them after their farms had been in their families for generations. They studied agriculture in college to go back to the farm only to have to sell the farm since they were close to town and the land values had increased so much that the taxes were too big a burden. There's a strip mall and appartments on one of them, and my buddy who studied to be a farmer now owns a bar. What a waste.

Farms aren't the only thing, many small businesses are lost this way. So untill they craft a bill that takes these types of things into account, I won't support it.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                                I give a crap, and I'm a republican. So your generalizations are an insult.
                                The bigger insult is that you support a party that only cares about the big corporations that crush small business and family farms.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X