Time: GOP senators looking for a RICH KATRINA CORPSE for estate tax pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time: GOP senators looking for a RICH KATRINA CORPSE for estate tax pitch

This is apparently only in the online edition of Time Magazine, which is too bad - more people should see this. In this age of all spin all the time, I suppose it was inevitable, but this is uniquely shameless and bizarre. It also adds one more item to the long list of awful things GOP Congress people will do to get their way - now it's digging for weeks-old corpses to show that SOMEBODY needed that estate tax repeal for their pathetic, needy heirs.

Seems they haven't found EVEN ONE rich Katrina corpse yet. Too bad they can't do a negotiation that would reflect their true views of human value, say 10,000 poor black corpses equals one rich white corpse. Guess not - those rich GOP donors are priceless. They're still looking. I'm sure we'll hear about it if they finally find a ripe "volunteer character witness" for their estate tax cut pitch.

Looking for a Corpse to Make a Case
    Senators look for a wealthy casualty of Katrina as evidence against the estate tax

Federal troops aren't the only ones looking for bodies on the Gulf Coast. On Sept. 9, Alabama Senator Jeff Sessions called his old law professor Harold Apolinsky, co-author of Sessions' legislation repealing the federal estate tax, which was encountering sudden resistance on the Hill. Sessions had an idea to revitalize their cause, which he left on Apolinsky's voice mail: "[Arizona Sen.] Jon Kyl and I were talking about the estate tax. If we knew anybody that owned a business that lost life in the storm, that would be something we could push back with."

If legislative ambulance chasing looks like a desperate measure, for the backers of repealing the estate tax, these are desperate times. Just three weeks ago, their long-sought goal of repeal seemed within reach, but Katrina dashed their hopes when Republican leaders put off an expected vote. After hearing from Sessions, Apolinsky, an estate tax lawyer who says his firm includes three multi-billionaires among its clients, mobilized the American Family Business Institute, a Washington-based group devoted to estate tax repeal. They reached out to members along the Gulf Coast to hunt for the dead.

It's been hard. Only a tiny percentage of people are affected by the estate tax—in 2001 only 534 Alabamans were subject to it. And for Hill backers of repeal, that's only part of the problem. Last year, the tax brought in $24.8 billion to the federal government. With Katrina's cost soaring, estate tax opponents need to find a way to make up the potential lost income. For now, getting repeal back on the agenda may depend on Apolinsky and his team of estate-sniffing sleuths, who are searching Internet obituaries among other places. Has he found any victims of both the hurricane and the estate tax? "Not yet," Apolinsky says. "But I'm still looking."—with reporting by Amanda Ripley/Washington
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I'm against the estate tax.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

estate tax
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Hmmm, rich people were at the summer homes up north.
        Only poor people and those in crappy health care or nursing homes were forced to stick around.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I think the estate tax should be strengthened considerably.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Isn't America supposet to be right of Sweden?
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

And Finland is left with Sweden. How is that fair?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                Isn't America supposet to be right of Sweden?
                The estate tax only effects the richest of the rich. If you aren't uber-rich it will never effect you. There are several billionaires who are paying off Congressmen in an attempt to end the estate tax but most people see it as an excellent progressive policy which subsidizes the other 99.99% of the population and prevents the creation of a perminent ruling upper class.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                  I'm against the estate tax.
                  Isn't America about working for what is yours, not simply getting it in a windfall inheritance from the labor of others?
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Communist.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Inherited wealth is possibly the most repugnant product of the capitalist system, in my mind...
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Oerdin...
                        I didn't want to start a new thread on this joke, but figured this was the most appropriate place for it since it is classic republican bashing... So excuse the short thread jack, but I though you would like this one... I did

Donald Rumsfeld was giving president Bush his daily briefing. He concludes by saying, "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed in an accident."

"Oh no!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"

His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the president sits, head in hands.

Finally, Bush looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion ?"
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I like how easy it is to dismiss repugnant behaviour from high-ranking members of the Republican party by labelling whoever brings it up as a Republican-basher.

That seems to be the new political ethos in the US: you can do whatever you want, because anybody who criticises you is obviously just "playing partisan politics", or "engaging in the blame game" or "blank-bashing"...
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                              Inherited wealth is possibly the most repugnant product of the capitalist system, in my mind...
                              Huh?? If I'm rich, and I want to give my wealth to my kid when I die, what on earth is wrong with that? It's my money. It doesn't belong to the government or anyone else.
                              I no longer use this account.

Comment

Working...
                              X