No announcement yet.

DVD-ROM Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mao... try using Alcohol 120% and make an image file (ISO) of the DVD on your hard drive. Then use Daemon's Tools and mount the image. Install the game this way. See what happens.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Mao
      Yeah...kinda hard to do that...being in China...and all...
      Dell laptops don't like China. For every year I've been here, something on my computer has broken and needed to be replaced. Twice my hard drive, and once my DVD-CDROM drive. Fortunately, the problems occurred near enough to the summer (or were tolerable enough to wait), so that I could replace them in the states.

As for cheap copies, I can't help you. I haven't had much luck with them here and have basically given up. Even the few that I did get to work, like SimCity 4, I eventually bought again in the states for a copy that would last. You can buy legit games here, but the titles are few and far between in my experience. Plus, they usually have no english at all, which is also risk with the copies.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        Mao... try using Alcohol 120% and make an image file (ISO) of the DVD on your hard drive. Then use Daemon's Tools and mount the image. Install the game this way. See what happens.
        Hmmm...thanks Sava, I'm going to try this once I get another copy of the game. I also realized soon after posting that there also appears to have been a giant scratch on the CD itself...which led the computer not reading it...so I'm going to be returning the copy and getting a new one. I'm also not sure exactly how to do what you said...that'll be another thread for later...heh

DaShi, yeah, that's what I heard about the DVD market copies too...bah
        Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

DVD-9 dvds are the best quality of the copies. However, you occassionally get one or two in Russian with no other language choices. The other dvds are cheap, but buyer beware kind of stuff. Certain shops are better than others. The electronic markets on wen san are usually the worst.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hey DaShi, I tried to send you a PM, but your box is full apparently, where else are there electronics markets anyway in Hangzhou? I only know of the one in Wen San Lu

Comment

Sorry, about that. Ming likes the flirting.

Wen San has a lot of electronics markets just east and west and Zheda. On Jiao gong between wen san and wen er (or farther south, I'm not certain.), there is a nice electronics market with a/c. There are some specialized markets throughout Hangzhou, like clothing and camera. Some are quite far, though. MORE magazine lists a few of them.

For dvds, there's a good one on Wu ling lu, but it's been a while since I've been down there so I'm not sure exactly where it is. There's another 2 good ones about halfway on a small road connecting Tianmushan and Tiyuchan. I don't remember the name, but it's the road just south of where macheng lu (often called mateng lu by taxi drivers) ends.
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Cool DaShi, I still don't know Hangzhou well, but I'll see if a taxi driver knows it...and try to find some games/dvds

Comment

Originally posted by Mao

Hmmm...thanks Sava, I'm going to try this once I get another copy of the game. I also realized soon after posting that there also appears to have been a giant scratch on the CD itself...which led the computer not reading it...so I'm going to be returning the copy and getting a new one. I'm also not sure exactly how to do what you said...that'll be another thread for later...heh
                  okay...

if you need tutorials on how to do this, I can help you, just PM me or create a thread some time...
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                  X