Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Governor General has passed, Long Live the GG!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Governor General has passed, Long Live the GG!

Clarkson bids farewell in Ottawa ceremony
    CTV.ca News Staff

Outgoing Governor General Adrienne Clarkson began her last full day as the Queen's representative by reminding Canadians the institution is essential to the country's system of government.

"Although I truly appreciate this and I feel your personal warmth towards me, I want to say that it is the institution which I happen to inhabit at the moment until tomorrow -- it's the institution that is most important," she said during a farewell ceremony on Parliament Hill.

Clarkson described the role of a governor general as an "instrument of witness" to democracy. And she said that role follows the office as it changes hands.

She added that democracy depends on the understanding of "our institutions and our being able to say that we know what these institutions are and for us to have confidence in them.

"In our system, we are not talking about empty trappings," she said speaking at a ceremony in the Hall of Honour. "We are talking about history."

Clarkson called on politicians and public servants to help Canadians understand the system better.

"There's much confusion and because people do not often understand what we are doing in this marvellous country of ours."

After six years, Clarkson's reign as governor general will end. She will be replaced by Michaelle Jean, who will be installed Tuesday morning.

Prime Minister Paul Martin praised Clarkson's contribution to Canada. He thanked her for her dedication to the country's military forces and presented her with the vice-regal flag that has flown over Parliament when the governor general is present.

"I just want to say, on behalf of the Canadian people who also have a great affection for the role that our men and women in uniform play, I want to say to you for that and thank you for everything else," Martin said.

He also said that he was grateful that Clarkson took on an extra year in office when the minority Liberal government came to office.

"You took us through that very difficult period," Martin said referring to last spring when the Liberals came close to being defeated.

Senate Speaker Daniel Hays called Clarkson one of the best governors general in the history of Canada.

Clarkson's final day as Governor General comes as the The Globe and Mail reports that Ottawa is set to announce the creation a multimillion-dollar endowment in her honour.

The Globe says that the endowment, to be named the Institute for Canadian Citizenship, will be up to $10 million and will serve to educate new Canadians on issues relating to citizenship.

It will include $3 million in start-up funds, followed by $7 million over the next 10 years.

A government said Clarkson was closely involved in developing the goal of the institute which is to help new Canadians understand the rights and responsibilities of citizenship.

However, the official would not provide further details regarding the institute.

It's not the first time an endowment has been made to honour an outgoing governor general.

In 1965, the Vanier Institute for the Family was established to honour Georges Vanier. It spends close to $1 million each year to raise public-awareness that will ensure families are "centrally important to the life of Canadian society."

In 1990, Jeanne Sauvé created the Sauve Youth Foundation, which is dedicated to "developing the leadership potential" of young people.

And in the late 1990s, Ray Hnatyshyn formed a charity called the Hnatyshyn Foundation for the Arts. In 2004, it gave five teenaged artists $10,000 each to pursue studies in music, dance and drama.

She was sometimes controversial, but upon reflection I think I like the old bat. I only hope I can say the same when the 27th's time comes to a close.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

I agree. Adrienne did more for the G-Gship than did any other in recent memory.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, but too bad the GG is completely useless to begin with.

Comment

She was criticised for travel, but then I hear that she diverted her plane from England to be in Germany when the soldiers from the bombing incident were coming in from Afghanistan. And then she went to spend a several New Years with them in Kabul. No doubt the forces are fond of her.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Eh. Not completely useless. It wields 0 political power, but it does hold cultural and symbolic meaning, and a good G-G can use his position to educate Canadians about their heritage at home while advancing Canadian interests abroad.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
            She was criticised for travel, but then I hear that she diverted her plane from England to be in Germany when the soldiers from the bombing incident were coming in from Afghanistan. And then she went to spend a several New Years with them in Kabul. No doubt the forces are fond of her.

I for one had no problem with her travel. The tab wasn't that high, and I think she raised our profile in some times and some places that it needed raising.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have high hopes for the new G-G too.

She seems to have the same giant heart and devotion to the arts that Adrienne did.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
                Yeah, but too bad the GG is completely useless to begin with.
                Not entirely true. The GG acts as sort of a referee of last resort over Parliament. The office is crucal in certain circumstances, and that is why the government pays for very good advice to be given to the office holder.

Not to mention that the GG is also the commander in chief of the Armed Forces, and that seemed to matter these last few years.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

The G-G hasn't wielded direct control over Parliament in 70 years, and I could only imagine that she would be loath to have to do so during her tenure...
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

She might have had to if the tiff this last spring had grown more serious.

The next one may well have to referee something similar.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

I hated the ***** and I hate the replacement ***** even more.

Make Don Cherry the GG.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The vote from Calgary is duely registered.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

war of 1812
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither

Not entirely true. The GG acts as sort of a referee of last resort over Parliament. The office is crucal in certain circumstances, and that is why the government pays for very good advice to be given to the office holder.
                              She is the Queen of England's representative in Canada. To have her arbitrate over any Canadian conflict is insulting, at best. If this country had any type of backbone, any idea of its own identity, it would abolish the position.
                              What?

Comment

Working...
                              X