Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's "Rome"

Anyone else watching this?

Amazing show, absolutely amazing. Right up there with "Deadwood".
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Yeah, it's a good show
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Octavian is one chilling little bastard. It is easy to see him becoming Emperor.

Comment

I downloaded the first 4 episodes so far... I don't get HBO

I'm waiting to watch them until I get the first 6. The reason is, my parents want to see them also, I'm waiting for 6 because that's how many I can fit on a DVD and I will make a video DVD using nero so I can watch it on the TV instead of my PC.

Although my mom is being a wuss and saying she doesn't know if she wants to see it because she heard there is much violence and bestiality in it.

She gets squeamish sometimes, but I will get her to watch it.

Is it good so far?
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Bestiality? No.

Sex? Yes.

Violence? Damn right.

Good? **** yes.

Comment

We were getting HBO for free a month before 'Rome' began, then Con-cast scrambled the signal...

d@mn...

Then Con-cast switched Sfi-Fi to digital from analog. No more 'Battlestar Galactica.'

double-d@mn...

Getting both channels would have cost me at least $60 a month extra. We are on a tight budget - my wife lost her job and took one for less money...

Thank goodness for DVDs. Too bad I have to wait a year though.
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer
              Octavian is one chilling little bastard. It is easy to see him becoming Emperor.
              Why does everyone decide to protray Octavian that way? The one sympathetic protrayal of Octavian I have seen in in I Claudius.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not entirely unsympathetic. He appears to be quite loyal to his friends and his sister, and recognizes that his mother is a complete hobag. He's just very calculating, a bit of a political savant. And apparently an ancient Roman lie detector.

Comment

The graffiti was hilarious in the last episode.
                  "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                  —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

Re: HBO's "Rome"

Anyone else watching this?

Amazing show, absolutely amazing. Right up there with "Deadwood".
                    We don't have HBO at this house.
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MosesPresley
                      The graffiti was hilarious in the last episode.
                      In Turkey there's an old Roman city where these dudes scratched graffiti on the sidewalk, it was an advertisement for prositutes.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Seeing the crucifictions whilest stoned has made me not want to watch the show...

But I'm sure I will
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

In Turkey there's an old Roman city where these dudes scratched graffiti on the sidewalk, it was an advertisement for prositutes.
                          Hmmmm. Now I'm going to have to pay closer attention to the local graffiti.
                          "In Italy for 30 years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed. But they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love. They had 500 years of democracy and peace. And what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."
                          —Orson Welles as Harry Lime

Comment

yeah and in Pompeii there are fallos-shaped stones on the street as signs to where the brothels were
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

And apparently an ancient Roman lie detector.

"Cut off his thumbs."

Wow...

Octavian is my favorite character in the series. Excellent show to date. I actually look forward to each new episode...a rarity for me these days in TV.
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X