No announcement yet.

Hilary to vote no on Roberts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, according to straw polls among Democrats, Hillary isn't even close to being the favorite for the nomination in 2008. The top contender in "dream" polls is actually Gore, as there is still a great deal of loyalty to him from the base and there is hope for a Nixon-like political comeback.

However, I doubt Gore will run again. He hasn't even played coy about it like Hillary is. Hillary isn't as popular with the Democratic base as many think, especially when they are given other options.

Biden is going to be a tough sell, just because of his support for the bankruptcy bill. He's been labeled Senator MBNA. He'll get hit hard over that in the primaries. Given that he's also a senator, and would bring back memories of Kerry, I doubt he'll get far. Feingold has the same problem, plus he's viewed as very far left.

Clark is still a significant possibility. His campaign flopped because of inexperience in 2004, but he's been out in front as a critic of the Administration and has attracted a lot of Democrats. He's also had a crash course in political savvy and has attracted a bigger pool of campaign management experts to his side.

Dean isn't going to run, I'm positive of that. He's discovered the value of being DNC chair and is really doing a great job for the party. They've been running rings around the GOP in terms of fundraising and recruiting top talent for office.

Edwards might try again, but I don't think he'll get much traction. Not being in office for 4 years will hurt. Speaking of that, I can tell Kerry is trying to position himself for another shot. No way, no how. The Dems are treating him like Dukakis post-1988.

So that leaves us with a bunch of virtual unknowns on the national level. Warner looks okay but doesn't (and can't) have a re-election under his belt. Bayh is about as exciting as cardboard, and the same goes for Vilsack. I'm not too familiar with Easley, but a Southern governor will probably intrigue people. Richardson doesn't inspire me as someone who will make a great candidate for president, even though I think he's doing a fine job in NM.

Other outside candidates are Governor Brian Schweitzer of Montana, who is intensley popular in a Western "red" state, but is also relatively inexperienced. Same applies to Wyoming's popular Governor Freudenthal. Also, provided she wins re-election in 2006 (which looks good right now), Michigan's Governor Granholm could be another female contender that would generate some excitement.

As for the Republican field, I have no idea what's going to happen there. McCain seems the frontrunner right now, and he can at least avoid some of the potential backlash from the Bush Administration that someone like Condi might encounter, if things in 2008 remain as they are now or get worse. I think Mike Huckabee of Arkansas is the most talked-about governor. Besides Pataki, of course, who I think has a snowball's chance. Oh, and Romney, who I think has the same odds. Frist already appears to be dead in the water, too.
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Also, provided she wins re-election in 2006 (which looks good right now), Michigan's Governor Granholm could be another female contender that would generate some excitement.

IIRC, Granholm was born in Canada, so a no go.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

i dont think Gores popularity would last through a campaign.

Hilary probably wouldnt get support from the left in the primary campaign, but shed get them all back for the general election, when the far right starts slinging mud.

I doubt many people who arent VERY Active are even aware of the bankruptcy bill, but I think he would have a harder time winning back the left than Hilary.

Clark still has never held elective office, hes still a former Reagan supporter, hes still the man who almost started a great power war in Kosovo.

I wouldnt exclude Edwards. Still an attractive figure in many ways, and with high name recognition.

Im not srue having a reelection under your belt matters to Warner.

Evan Bayh has lots of potential as well, I think.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
          As for the Republican field, I have no idea what's going to happen there. McCain seems the frontrunner right now, and he can at least avoid some of the potential backlash from the Bush Administration that someone like Condi might encounter, if things in 2008 remain as they are now or get worse. I think Mike Huckabee of Arkansas is the most talked-about governor. Besides Pataki, of course, who I think has a snowball's chance. Oh, and Romney, who I think has the same odds. Frist already appears to be dead in the water, too.
          I feel that Allen will be a top contender for the Republicans. He won't generate the ire that McCain will, while at the same time is distanced enough from the Bush administration that he won't be automatically tainted. While he is a senator, he has not had his name attached to really anything controversial, so will probably avoid "voted for before I voted against" Kerry syndrome.
          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            Also, provided she wins re-election in 2006 (which looks good right now), Michigan's Governor Granholm could be another female contender that would generate some excitement.

IIRC, Granholm was born in Canada, so a no go.
            Will that still hold when Canada is made the 51st state?
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

If Hilary runs, she won't win. Like it or not, there are a lot of Democrats who wouldn't vote for her simply because she's a woman.
              "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
                Jeb Bush seems to enjoy grand standing like he did in the Terri Shiavo case. He also would inherite his father & brother's campaign fund raising machine and these days you can be a crap candidate but if you bring enough money you'll still win.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Didn't work for Kerry and Christ he was up against Bush for pity sake.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

straw polls are unscientific

Zogby, in June, had Gore in fifth, just behind Dean, with 6 percent. Hilary, Kerry, and Edwards were all ahead.

Of coruese that sounds like name recognition - but the lesser knowns with room to move are Bayh, Warner, etc not Gore.

re GOP - im sure the Right will find someone to rally around - they cant stand McCain, and wont support Giuliani. Rice has no domestic credentials, and thats gonna hurt.
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
                      If Hilary runs, she won't win. Like it or not, there are a lot of Democrats who wouldn't vote for her simply because she's a woman.
                      This isn't the Republican Party. Dems have no problems with women.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Gore or one of the southern governors would be the best choice for the Dems. The last three Democratic Presidents have all been southern governors who were able to grab some of those southern electoral votes which other wise automatically go for Republicans. The white trash, bigot, and religious wacko votes are all strong in the south and the only way a Dem can get them over a Republican is to appeal to southern regional pride via a southern strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                          The white trash, bigot, and religious wacko votes are all strong in the south and the only way a Dem can get them over a Republican is to appeal to southern regional pride via a southern strategy.

Or maybe even a southern strategy that doesn't automatically label potential voters as white trash, bigots and religious wackos.

Comment

I believe in telling the truth which is why I'd make a lousy politician.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                              I believe in telling the truth which is why I'd make a lousy politician.
                              Agreed but moreover the message from the Dem party is quite similar to the message you so eloquently put it.

Comment

No, their stategy seems to revolve around pretending bigots, white trash, and religious wackos don't exist while the Republican strategy is to court the white trash, bigots, and religious wackos.

Comment

Working...
                                X