Why Apple is a better company than Microsoft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, you're applying your judgment to other people :nonono:
    Second, you ignored the rest of my post.
    Third, if Apple fails to provide compatibility measures to developers to keep programs functioning from 10.0 to 10.4, then Apple has failed and if they are there, but they don't educate their developers then they have partly failed. It can only benefit the user to have software working from 10.0 to 10.4, but no, that's not the way it is and it's a problem for Apple, because soon people won't accept that and start pirating their OS.

Microsoft is also responsible for those evil people who won't make things that are compatible with Win 95...
    Win 95 was 10 years ago. 10.2 was yesterday.

Comment

AFAIK, Apple is just like Microsoft, except it's products suck more.

Comment

Actually, that's not true. Actually the iPod is quite a good product, but actually Apple is customer whore.
        The question is, do you bend down or not?

Comment

Actually the iPod is quite a good product
          Yeah, a MP3-player you can carry with you! Who would've thought of it before iPod?

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
            Hole in your argument big enough to drive a truck through.
            I blame Apple -- where are the security updates for OS X 10.1?

Apple is just as guilty as the third party developers. In fact, the fact that they don't support older versions means developers don't have to.

They also have a very terrible policy of changing APIs between "minor" versions (ie, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4) which cause incompatibilities.

In any real OS, the API is frozen until the next major release. For MS, it only adds new functionality and function calls between versions so old applications still work as expected. Apple doesn't do the same thing, which means you have versioning nightmares.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Yeah, a MP3-player you can carry with you! Who would've thought of it before iPod?
              What a way to make a post that has nothing to do with what he said.

Comment

What a way to make a post that has nothing to do with what he said.
                Huh?

I said that Apple isn't much better than MS. He said that iPod is a pretty good product. I implied with a hint of irony that iPod isn't really nothing more than a clone of competitor's designs which is marketed so insanely much that achieves a monopoly-status it can upkeep because it has it's own format standards, thus being pretty much like MS with OS's.

So what's your problem?

Comment

"the iPod is a clone of competitor's designs"
                  Probably that's why the iPod's design "sets the highwatermark".

edit: I don't know exactly the english phrase that is used to express what I wanted

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                    First, you're applying your judgment to other people :nonono:
                    Second, you ignored the rest of my post.
                    Third, if Apple fails to provide compatibility measures to developers to keep programs functioning from 10.0 to 10.4, then Apple has failed and if they are there, but they don't educate their developers then they have partly failed. It can only benefit the user to have software working from 10.0 to 10.4, but no, that's not the way it is and it's a problem for Apple, because soon people won't accept that and start pirating their OS.

Win 95 was 10 years ago. 10.2 was yesterday.
                    Yeah right...

That generally doesn't happen. Some programs won't function with 10.0, but the update to 10.1 was free.

Stuff generally works from one point release to the next. That's not what you said before. You complained that people would keep having to upgrade and that this was Apple's fault

Sorry, that dog don't hunt. It is the developers' problem and not Apple's.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Probably that's why the iPod's design "sets the highwatermark".
                      Quoting myself...
                      ...or perhaps you two didn't realise that they existed before you saw an iPod ad. Actually, that would explain a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        I've had every version of OS X from the beginning. Each one was certainly worth the upgrade price.

It's sad to see people suckered like this.
                        It's cost me about $2 a week. Oh noes!!
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                          Yeah right...

That generally doesn't happen. Some programs won't function with 10.0, but the update to 10.1 was free.

Stuff generally works from one point release to the next. That's not what you said before. You complained that people would keep having to upgrade and that this was Apple's fault

It's Apple's problem -- no other OS vendor changes the kernel APIs between point releases, only Apple. That's what causes incompatibilities.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah right...

Stuff generally works from one point release to the next. That's not what you said before. You complained that people would keep having to upgrade and that this was Apple's fault.
                            For one they have to upgrade because of the unpatched security vulnerabilities as Asher has pointed out. Failing to fix security problems in Apple's products is not Apple's business?

So you think it's okay that Apple rolls off all costs to their developers? Would you think this is friendly for developers? And in turn would you think this is friendly to users who have to pay higher prices, because of higher costs?

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Quoting myself...

...or perhaps you two didn't realise that they existed before you saw an iPod ad. Actually, that would explain a lot.
                              You're not making sense. Let's do a rollup:

You asserted Apple is like MS, but it's products are more crap.
                              Well so, I brought up the iPod which was actually quite a good product.
                              --- so much for the understandable part ---
                              But then you replied that it's just a mp3 player ( - I didn't know you expected it to cook coffee? ) and further stated that the iPod is a clone of competitor's designs.

How can a "design of a product" be the clone of the "idea of the product" and _What is your point_??!?

Comment

Actually, I don't really have I point after this:
                                You asserted Apple is like MS, but it's products are more crap.

...so I'm just wasting our time here now. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X