X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SlowwHand
    The ransom was the stay away.
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wrong answer.
    Wrong again, Judge Judy; the stay away was the extortion.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Ah HA! Tricked you, buzzard breath!

So I was right.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
        Yeah, I'd say it's basically that it's alot harder to get away with in the first world. It's too easy to track someone down in our societies - in the developing world, huge chunks of the population are totally off the radar.
        I'd say it's very easy to get away in the US of A.

I reckon the hard part is to get your hands on the $$$, as you need to assume that the police has been informed.

I don't think the FBI gets involved either, unless the suspects flee across state border.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I've heard it happens in Manila.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Maybe someone will get you, then it's their problem.
            Last edited by SlowwHand; September 16, 2005, 09:14.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I belief kidnapping is a federal crime, and the FBI can be involved from the get go. One of the biggest problems is spending the ransom, even hard cash leaves a trail unless you are willing to sit on it for years, or leave the country.
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I'd say it's very easy to get away in the US of A.

I reckon the hard part is to get your hands on the $$$, as you need to assume that the police has been informed.

I don't think the FBI gets involved either, unless the suspects flee across state border.
                The FBI is involved in a number of areas of criminality which don't cross state lines, kidnapping and bank robbery being the most common.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It happened to the Gettys:

Son's kidnapping horror

The second came two years later, when Sir Paul's eldest son Paul, then 17, was kidnapped by Italian terrorists, who demanded a ransom of more than $3m.

The boy's grandfather refused to help pay the ransom, believing it would endanger his other grandchildren.

He relented only when the kidnappers cut off Paul's ear and sent it to the family.
                  BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

And it used to be popular in Corsica and Sardinia, as I recall:

Criminal gangs in Italy have found that the kidnapping of children is particularly profitable. In July 1975, eighteen-year-old Cristina Mazzotti was kidnapped; a ransom of $2 million was paid, but the kidnappers killed her just the same. Another father stood firm for six weeks when his seventeen-year-old daughter was kidnapped, but paid a ransom of $4 million when they threatened to kidnap his other daughter as well. And in 1977 à $2 million ransom was paid for a five-year-old Italian girl kidnapped on her way to school in Geneva.
                  What is Kidnap? Kidnapping for ransom and kidnappers - possible threat. How to prevent kidnapping, security precautions
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The Getty thing - the true story is the kid made a deal with "kidnappers", was a part of the organization, but they turned on him. It was in a documentary some time ago.

Comment

I watched a program on national television yesterday. A criminal expert said this sort of kidnappings happen on a regular basis in the criminal circuit. A criminal steals another criminal's coke, the victim kidnaps the daughter of the thief and extorts him for the stolen coke. These crimes don't come to light often. The criminal who's coke is stolen won't go to the police, because that would be kinda stupid. "Officer they stole my 300 kilo's of coke! It's an outrage!"

The big question on everybody's mind right now is: is the Melchers family (the are known as rich industrials with an untarnished reputation) connected to the criminal circuit in which these kinds of kidnappings happen?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        I doubt your average hundred millionaire has any personal security.

I don't. Millionaries may not, and I've known a few who didn't. But there are quite a few who do, and not just celebraties.

Remember what happened to the heiress to the of the Wrigley fortune.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The problem is making the contact to get the cash. Someone that was an absolute expert in international banking might be able to wire money around electronically to a zillion places such that it couldn't be tracked but I am not such an expert so I don't know for sure. Part of me thinks that the authorities will be able to track that down (although you might get little sympathy or assistance from some overseas banks

If the ransom is actual cash, I would think that there would be some form of GPS locator in it. I believe those things can get pretty small so I would think that kidnappers would be tracked
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

About 2-3 years ago, we had a kidnapping for ransom in my county. This guy came over from Europe (I think it was Finland ) and kidnapped an 82 year old woman and help her for $3,000,000 in a metal shed for over a week in freezing temps. He only occasionally fed her some water and fries for the entire time. She ended up loosing a foot (I think) to gangrene. When they rescued her and caught him the judge felt it was only fair to hold him for a 3 mil dollar bond. He was convicted and is currently sitting on a 30 year truth in sentencing sentence and he is going to be deported when he gets released.
                            Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                            1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The kidnapping came a month after customs authorities seized 10,000 pounds of cocaine in the Port of Rotterdam, in one of the largest drug busts by Dutch authorities.

What are Dutch authorities doing making a drug bust?
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X