Does kidnap for ransom happen often?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does kidnap for ransom happen often?

I have never heard of it happening much in the US or anywhere else in the first world. The very rich might have a bodyguard (many don't, I'm guessing), but most people don't seem to be targets. However, is it that such things aren't publicized much by the media? Or maybe I ignore it when these things happen? Does it happen often in your neighborhood?

By the way, 10,000 pounds of cocaine is an absolutely huge amount!

Dutch millionaire's daughter released

TOBY STERLING

Associated Press

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Kidnappers demanding a ransom of 660 pounds of cocaine released the daughter of a wealthy Dutch industrialist unharmed, police said Thursday. It was not clear whether any ransom was paid.

Claudia Melchers, 37, walked barefoot into a train station in the town of Arnhem Wednesday night, 48 hours after two armed men gained entry into her Amsterdam apartment, bound her, bundled her into a plastic crate and loaded her into a vehicle to make their escape.

"We don't know why she was released," said police Commissioner Willem Woelders.

He said as far as police know, no ransom was paid and the family didn't have any contact with the kidnappers.

Melchers' father, Hans Melchers, whose chemical company is based in Arnhem, is one of the richest men in the Netherlands, with a personal fortune estimated at $651 million.

Woelders said police did not know why the kidnappers demanded cocaine, or whether such a delivery could have been arranged on such short notice.

"That's a tough question for a policeman because it not my daily business. But that would be a tough job, even for a criminal organization. The quantity is very large and you would need to have the right contacts to do it quickly. I think it is unlikely."

The kidnapping came a month after customs authorities seized 10,000 pounds of cocaine in the Port of Rotterdam, in one of the largest drug busts by Dutch authorities. It was not clear if there was a connection with the kidnappers.

According to Claudia Melchers' account of the abduction, Woelders said, she was held in an empty room on the first floor of a house. She was given clothes and food and allowed to bathe. She told police she saw three men, two who appeared to be Latin Americans and one who was black.

She was disoriented after her release, and suffered minor abrasions on her wrists where she was bound but was otherwise unharmed, he said.

In the assault on Melchers' home in the Old South section of Amsterdam Monday, the gunmen bound and gagged a friend but left Melchers' two young children unharmed.

Police assigned a 60-person team to investigate the case, but had no idea where the woman was until she appeared at the Arnhem train station, 68 miles east of Amsterdam near the German border.

Melchers heard German and eastern Dutch dialects spoken on a radio playing in the distance, Woelders said, implying she was held in or near Germany. But the kidnappers spoke English and the ransom note was written in English.

The abduction of Melchers' daughter revived news stories in the Dutch media about his past.

Hans Melchers is owner of Melchemie Holland BV, which had supplied chemicals to Iraq in the 1980s and was once fined for a shipment of banned chemicals, which it called a "one-time mistake."

Melchers' ex-wife, Anna Maria Lievens, was found dead at the bottom of the stairs of her home in Malta in 1999, apparently after a fall. Dutch media reported Lievens had contacted Dutch financial authorities alleging her husband's company sold chemicals to Iraq, Syria and Libya.

Hans Melchers has not commented publicly on the case, but Dutch media said the family plans to release a written statement later Thursday.

Although kidnappings are rare in the Netherlands, they have happened often enough for Quote magazine to come under criticism for publishing its annual list of the country's wealthiest citizens. Melchers is number 36 on the list.

The most famous case was the 1983 kidnapping of beer tycoon Freddie Heineken, who was released from three weeks in captivity after the kidnappers were paid US$10 million. The mastermind of the kidnapping was caught in Paris several months later and served an 11-year prison sentence. He was shot dead on an Amsterdam street in a gangland-style killing in 2003.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

It might be that we're not aware of how much it goes on. I can see the rich would want to keep that kind of vulnerablity secret. On the other hand, the really rich have serious security around them.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

It happens all the time in Latin America actually. I have a friend whose dad was kidnapped in like Ecuador or something and ransomed off. Its treated like a business down there. Usually they don't harm the kidnappees, just collect their money and move on to someone else.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

On the other hand, the really rich have serious security around them.
        Do they? I don't know enough of them to know for sure. I think serious security is rather off-putting in American society. I doubt your average hundred millionaire has any personal security.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Why does it seem to happen all the time in developing countries but hardly at all in the first world? Did the first world focus on such crime in the past and eradicate it?

Comment

My understanding is that the focus of the FBI in kidnapping for ransom was such that the success rate was low and it dropped off as a profitable tactic in the US.

I understand it is still quite common in many less developed nations particularly where the perpetrators have sufficient control of a geographic area that intervention from "police" is implausible
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yeah, I'd say it's basically that it's alot harder to get away with in the first world. It's too easy to track someone down in our societies - in the developing world, huge chunks of the population are totally off the radar.
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

In El Paso alone over 400 people have been kidnapped over the past few years. Mexico City has more than that many kidnappings each year.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Are those 400 kidnappings for ransom? High kidnapping rates don't surprise me, because of child custody issues, etc.

Comment

Ransom (mainly westeners) is almost a national hobby in Iraq at the moment.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Kidnappings do happen in the west, how much... not THAT much I guess but I don't really know.

They do happen a lot in Latin American though.. K&R is a big business there. And it even as its own name for it, K&R. Google it up and match it with Latin America.. Columbia etc.
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Is there any other kind?
                        Ever hear of a guy named Charles Lindbergh? Had a boy child? Huh?
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's an ongoing problem in the Philippines, and it seems to be on the rise again.
                          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            Is there any other kind?
                            Ever hear of a guy named Charles Lindbergh? Had a boy child? Huh?

Actually, yes, there are other kinds. Kidnapping refers to any act of holding someone against their will, for whatever reason. For example, back in the 80's the mayor of Providence was indicted on kidnapping charges (and extortion, and assault) because he and his hired goons held his ex-wife's boyfriend in a warehouse where they beat the crap out of him and then warned him to stay away from the ex-wife. No ransom was asked for or received.
                            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The ransom was the stay away.
                              Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Wrong answer.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X