Will you use Vista or Switch to Linux?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alva
    At the moment the count is 7, should be enough.

I'm going to continue using XP for awhile.

Btw: you don't mention that MS advises 2G of MEM (not just diskspace) to run Vista!
    Vista does not use and will not use 2 GB of memory. They advise that should be the amount of memory you have on your system to run most applications.

Considering that Vista will be out in 2006, I think that is pretty accurate for what PCs should have.

Considering that even today 1GB of DDR400/PC3200 RAM is $64...that's not very outlandish.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Asher fails to answer DRM concerns, very telling
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

2GB of memory now...oh not more upgrading
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
          Asher fails to answer DRM concerns, very telling
          What DRM concerns? I haven't seen any actual concerns aside from FUD and rhetoric.

Feel free to actually ask a legit question.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ok

Asher! What DRM features will be included in Longhorn and Intel processors released in the same timeframe (2006ish)?

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              2GB of memory now...oh not more upgrading
              Vista is not intended to be something you would install on your older computer.

It'll probably install and run well on machines built late this year or later, the other machines should probably stick to XP.

That's the kind of message MS is trying to send with the "advisable system specs" -- they'd like to see Vista start on the high end PCs and move on from that point. It should not be retrofitted on old machines.

Comment

Ok

Asher! What DRM features will be included in Longhorn and Intel processors released in the same timeframe (2006ish)?
                Protected media streams that run in isolation from the rest of the system to prevent tampering.

Everything else is stuff we already have today.

Comment

If Linux didn't suck then I'd be tempted to switch to Linux.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

So its all just to continue the same oldtm buy-new-pc -every-3-years cycle...how pathetic from MS.
                    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

From what I've heard of people having used the Beta, it runs decent (not more] on a Pentium IV 3 Ghz woth 1G of mem and a videocard with a minimum of a 128 MB.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
                        So its all just to continue the same oldtm buy-new-pc -every-3-years cycle...how pathetic from MS.
                        Not just MS but yeah..kind of pathetic.
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Yes perhaps they should make a new OS to run on obsolete hardware prone to failure.

Windows XP will continue to be supported well into Vista's lifetime.

I'm not sure what you clowns want -- if you want an OS that runs on today's hardware, don't you already have one?

Myself, I want one that takes advantage of new technology. And you can't have one that takes advantage of new technology if it runs on 10-year old PCs.

Comment

Ok Asher

Will I be able to play

-mp3s ripped from CDs I bought
                            -mp3s ripped from burn CDs
                            -legally downloaded free mp3s
                            -illegally downloaded free mp3s (I don't have any, I just ask)

Actually what does a "protected media stream" actually mean anyway? What makes it so protected?

Comment

Ok Asher

Will I be able to play

-mp3s ripped from CDs I bought
                              -mp3s ripped from burn CDs
                              -legally downloaded free mp3s
                              -illegally downloaded free mp3s (I don't have any, I just ask)
                              Yes, it can and does let you rip CDs into MP3s.
                              Yes, it can and does let you rip from burned CDs into MP3s.
                              Yes, it can and does let you legally download free MP3s (it doesn't differenciate)
                              Yes, it can and does let you legally download free MP3s. Actually, it may go a step farther...Vista comes with a Peer to Peer subsystem built into the OS, so it's theoretically easier to set up piracy networks.

Beta1 is easily obtainable on the internet, you know...

Actually what does a "protected media stream" actually mean anyway? What makes it so protected?
                              The DRM in the music file -- songs bought from Napster, songs bought from iTunes, movies bought online, etc.

Comment

how come older hardware is always referred as "obsolete" or obsolete and prone to failure"

Is it just not possible to make a better OS than Win XP to run on my P-M 2.17 Ghz 1536 MB. Is every software engineer in MS as ****ed up as Asher to refer their to-be customers as "clowns"

Am I ****ing supposed to take up 3000 eur loan every 3 years to buy a new laptop just to ****ing run the newest ****ty Windows. Thats just pathetic and insulting..
                                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Working...
                                X