Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Pope the successor of the Roman Emperors? Vatican city = Roman Empire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f*** ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fk) Vulgar Slang
    v. f****, f***·ing, f**s
    v. tr.
    To have sexual intercourse with.
    To take advantage of, betray, or cheat; victimize.
    Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.

v. intr.
    To engage in sexual intercourse.
    To act wastefully or foolishly.
    To interfere; meddle. Often used with with.

n.
    An act of sexual intercourse.
    A partner in sexual intercourse.
    A despised person.
    Used as an intensive: What the **** did you do that for?

interj.
    Used to express extreme displeasure.

Phrasal Verbs:
    f*** off
    Used in the imperative as a signal of angry dismissal.
    To spend time idly.
    To masturbate.
    f*** over
    To treat unfairly; take advantage of.
    f*** up
    To make a mistake; bungle something.
    To act carelessly, foolishly, or incorrectly.
    To cause to be intoxicated.
    Apparently Dictionary.com says I should be more offended by squaw than f*** in any of its myraid forms.

Yes Master.
    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I thought Wilma Mankiller (sic) is the chief of the Cherokee Nation.

Challenge - demonstrate that Wilma Mankiller is in fact the heir to the Roman Empire.
      Wilma Mankiller is Chief of the Cherokee Nation;

The Song "Indian Reservation," containing the chorus "Cherokee People/Cherokee Tribe/So proud to live/So proud to die" was performed by Paul Revere and the Raiders

Paul Revere and the Raiders once appeared on an episode of "Batman," in the episode where the Penguin runs for mayor of Gotham City;

The Penguin on Batman was played by Burgess Meredith;

Burgess Meredith appeared in Day of the Locust with Donald Sutherland;

And Donald Sutherland appeared in JFK with Kevin Bacon!

Um, what was the question again?
      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
        If the Ottomans were heir to Rome because they conquered the eastern half of the empire, then what about the German tribes that conquered the western half? Would that mean the holy roman empire's claim would be legit?
        If, when the Germans conquered Rome, they had made that claim and had controled the territory of the Western Roman Empire, then yes. The first HRE was established after the Franks saved the Patrium from the Langobards who had invaded most of Italy in the 8th Century. In the year 800, Pope Leo III crowned Charlemange Holy Roman Emperor. The ERE never recognized the title, and when Charlemange offered to marry the ruling Emperess in Constantinople, she was deposed.

The Holy Roman Empire was famously described by Voltaire as "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire".
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Voltaire also noted that "a witty saying proves nothing".
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

The Romans never existed.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Wilma Mankiller is Chief of the Cherokee Nation;

The Song "Indian Reservation," containing the chorus "Cherokee People/Cherokee Tribe/So proud to live/So proud to die" was performed by Paul Revere and the Raiders

Paul Revere and the Raiders once appeared on an episode of "Batman," in the episode where the Penguin runs for mayor of Gotham City;

The Penguin on Batman was played by Burgess Meredith;

Burgess Meredith appeared in Day of the Locust with Donald Sutherland;

And Donald Sutherland appeared in JFK with Kevin Bacon!

Um, what was the question again?
              "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
              "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                The Romans never existed.
                There is no spoon.
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

The Holy Roman Empire was famously described by Voltaire as "neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire".
                  He was wrong on several counts, and was not a terribly good historian- but then he wasn't trying to be.

By his day the H.R.E. may not have been any of the categories listed, but at times in the past it had fulfilled the criteria, albeit not all at the same time, all the time...

His original quote is:

' Ce corps qui s'appelait et qui s'appele encore le saint empire romain n'etait en aucune maniere ni saint, ni romain, ni empire. '
                  Francois Marie-Arouet, 'Essai sur le moeurs et l'esprit des nations', lxx

It (roughly) translates as :

' This agglomeration which was called and still calls itself the Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman nor an empire in any way.'
                  If only he had addressed himself to Charlemagne's coronal declaration :

'Carolo Augusto, a Deo coronato, magno et pacifico, imperatori Romanorum, vita et victoria. '

Emperor Anastasius had also hailed Clovis as 'consul' and 'Augustus', and Merovingian coins showed Romulus and Remus, and Frankish civil boundaries just so happened to coincide with diocesan boundaries from the last days of the Western Roman Empire. No to mention the influence of Roman law on Salic law, and the legacy of Roman military traditions- hoisting the new Frankish king aloft on soldiers' shields- a Roman army acclamation.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Man, I always love these threads because I learn a load of new information.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                      The Roman Empire was an empire centered upon the city of Rome. When the imperial possessions in the west fragmented, leaving Rome as the center of a small ecclesiastic state then truly the Roman empire had died. The fact that some fragments persisted for a while doesn't change that fact.
                      By that definition, why didnt it die BEFORE the possessions in the West fragmented, when the capitol and center of gravity shifted east?
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                        The Roman Empire was an empire centered upon the city of Rome. When the imperial possessions in the west fragmented, leaving Rome as the center of a small ecclesiastic state then truly the Roman empire had died. The fact that some fragments persisted for a while doesn't change that fact.

Well the eastern part lasted for a milenium more. During all that time "Rome" in tiself came to mean nothing. The Romioi who gained their liberation after 400 years didn't know anything about "rome". "Rome meant nothing to them. They refered to them as Romioi and that meant that: they were christians and that they spoke greek. actually a version of alexandrine greek (the language of the evangelions)that derived from the attican dialect.
                        So rome as a toponym ceased to mean anything since long ago.
                        when the assorted barbarians took out western rome and ever since everyone wanted to be the "roman". but the truth was that only the east still was. all others were fake who wanted the reassurance of the name

Comment

• and the system of authority the east devised was perfect. that's why it lasted for 1.000 years more. byzantium is the longest lasting empire or one of them. the duality of authority emperor/aptriarch produced a system of governance so stable that was tried to be copied by the barbarians (the term just means not romans) and it was failed. and just as the west was burned like a phoenix it wwas rebirthed through its pitiful ashes, the east simply aged as an old lion untill it died too by a coup de grace. it didnt need to reform because it never collapsed so it turned rigid.

Comment

• that's a reason why i think "one europe" is crap btw. we're talking about two (and more) completely different histories/evolutions. im not against a unified europe but against a uniformity of history. or little tricks such as "things that unite europe" like in the eu constitution. which was failed now that i think about it.

Comment

• crap, I thought I was innovative! someone else had the same thought as me.

I was yahoosearching for info on the attila pope leo meeting, and found this.

"the pope as esoteric roman emperor" in a blog

Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

btw, for the history buffs here, did leo meet attila or is it a myth?
                              I need a foot massage

Comment

Working...
                              X