Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

JOURNEY TO CALIFORNIA
    On May 1, 1857, a train of over forty wagons, several carriages, 1000 head of cattle, hundreds of horses, and about 142 pioneer men, women and children left Arkansas for California. Tension was building at this time among the Mormon people, who were becoming fearful of the federal government. President James Buchanan had received distorted reports of the terrible activities in Utah. He sent a new governor to Utah to replace the Mormon governor in office, Brigham Young. The Mormons feared their own destruction by the federal government. The various Mormon Militia units were instructed to be ready to march on a moment's notice to any part of the territory. Because the settlers in Utah had not been friendly, the pioneers were alert. However, they were expecting no trouble from the Indians.

On Tuesday morning, September 8, 1857 the Indians attacked the emigrants, killing seven men and wounding sixteen others before they were turned back. The pioneers withstood the attacking Indians for four days, leaving the pioneers with no water and their ammunition nearly gone.

THE MASSACRE
    The entire truth will probably never be known because most of the documents and diaries of the participants were destroyed. The surviving children were able to supply details on the massacre itself, however.

Bishop John D. Lee approached the train under a flag of truce and convinced the pioneers that he had persuaded the Indians to let them go if they would leave their wagons and possessions to the Indians. After deliberating, the suffering group could find no other way out and they agreed. The pioneers were told that it should appear to the Indians that they were the Mormon's prisoners. Lee sent in a wagon and the emigrants' weapons were loaded in to it. The wounded were then loaded into two wagons and two other wagons were loaded with the youngest of the children. These wagons left first followed by the women and older children on foot. The men were lined up single file, and parallel to a single file of Mormon Militiamen and this group followed about a quarter of a mile behind. As the group moved out, the waiting Indians moved in and began to loot the goods the pioneers had left behind. A short distance later, Lee rose up in his stirrups and shouted "Do your duty!" and each Mormon shot the member of the train standing next to him. At about the same time up ahead, Mormon Militia disguised as Indians, and the real Indians, moved in on the women and older children, shooting, clubbing and axing them to death.

CONCLUSIONS AND CONSEQUENCES
    No effort was made to give the bodies a decent burial. Foraging animals scattered the bones over a great distance. In 1859, a passing detachment of U.S. Cavalry stopped and gathered what bones they could find into one grave. A rock cairn was erected with a carved stone and the words "Here lie the bones of one hundred and twenty men, women and children from Arkansas, murdered on the 10th day of September, 1857." An officer painted a cross-line beam above the cairn with the words "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord. I will repay."

The two wagonloads of children who had not been killed were adopted into Mormon homes. It is believed that 18 of the children survived. In 1859, Captain James Lynch of the U.S. Army took possession of these young survivors and returned them to relatives in Arkansas. Although there were many investigations, no punishment was handed out for the crime until 20 years later. Lee wrote out a full confession and was found guilty and sentenced to death by firing squad.
    from the official Mountain Meadows Massacre website: http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/brondel/page1.htm

At Mountain Meadows in Southern Utah, September 11, 1857, at least 127 men, women, and children were massacred by order of the leadership of the Mormon Church.

This is a significant even in American history. Until the Oklahoma City bombings in 1995, this was the single largest slaughter of Americans by Americans.

We must never forget his horrible tragedy.
    To us, it is the BEAST.

yeah, I remember hearing about this event recently, and being surprised..

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Waiting for someone to start an Ethiopian New Years Day remembrance thread. Or a moment of silence thread for Latin American Teachers' Day.

What a sorry place this is.

Comment

Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Originally posted by Sava
        This is a significant even in American history. Until the Oklahoma City bombings in 1995, this was the single largest slaughter of Americans by Americans.
        The US Civil War does't count?
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
          Waiting for someone to start an Ethiopian New Years Day remembrance thread. Or a moment of silence thread for Latin American Teachers' Day.

What a sorry place this is.

stop dishonoring the memory of the victims of this massacre with your useless comments

this is a serious thread designed to inform people of a significant tragedy in american history

it's purpose is to inform people about other events that have taken place on 9-11

sorry you can't claim ownership on this date

I guess human tragedy is only important when President Bush can exploit it for political gain, eh?

I find it ironic that the jingoistic mantra of the WTC attacks is NEVER FORGET, but yet, most people have forgotten about other significant events that have happened on this infamous date.

so don't pretend to have the moral high ground Winston... you aren't an American, you probably don't even care about the victims at the WTC, you are just a bush-fan boy who uses tragedies to further your political agenda

edit: grammar
          Last edited by Sava; September 11, 2005, 11:40.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The US Civil War does't count?
            I believe they are excluding war in these rankings.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

from the official Mountain Meadows Massacre website: http://asms.k12.ar.us/armem/brondel/page1.htm

At Mountain Meadows in Southern Utah, September 11, 1857, at least 127 men, women, and children were massacred by order of the leadership of the Mormon Church.

We must never forget his horrible tragedy.
              Like you give a ****. You spend half your time talking about how all of humanity is a parasite.

These stupid remembrance threads are oh-so-clever.

Comment

Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Originally posted by Verto

Like you give a ****. You spend half your time talking about how all of humanity is a parasite.

These stupid remembrance threads are oh-so-clever.

No surprises here.

No doubt a Mormon would want everyone to forget about this massacre.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Wow. That's horrible. And I thought Mormons were harmless. Well I guess they are these days.
                  CSPA

Comment

Re: Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

No surprises here.

No doubt a Mormon would want everyone to forget about this massacre.
                    You can roll your eyes all you want. Anyone whose seen any small dose of your posting will know how ****ed up you are, especially considering how this tragedy only affects you so far as it enables you to troll a religion (which I am not active in).

Comment

how is this a troll?

this is an informative thread for remembering victims of a brutal massacre at the hands of religious fundamentalists
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

You can roll your eyes all you want. Anyone whose seen any small dose of your posting will know how ****ed up you are, especially considering how this tragedy only affects you so far as it enables you to troll a religion (which I am not active in).
                        Right -- because in all the years you have been an Apolyton member, you have never, ever trolled any group of people, or individual on this site.

(not that I agree with Sava's creation of this particular thread)
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Originally posted by MrFun

Right -- because in all the years you have been an Apolyton member, you have never, ever trolled any group of people, or individual on this site.

(not that I agree with Sava's creation of this particular thread)
                          Am I the one making insincere "remembrance threads" exploiting a tragedy for troll material?

Comment

unfounded accusations

edit: I've made perfectly sound and logical points.

You are just mad because you are a Mormon and this thread is about a massacre perpetrated by Mormon barbarians.
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: In remembrance... 9-11... The Mountain Meadows Massacre

Am I the one making insincere "remembrance threads" exploiting a tragedy for troll material?
                              nope
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X