• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pterrific Pterosaurs, Ptitans Of Pthermals

Flying reptiles just got bigger

By Jonathan Amos

BBC News science reporter, Dublin

Scientists think pterosaurs could inform modern aircraft design

Scientists are only now starting to recognise the astonishing size reached by pterosaurs, the flying reptiles that lived at the time of the dinosaurs.

New discoveries in the Americas suggest some had wingspans of 18m (60ft).

But there was nothing ugly about the way they moved through the air, according to expert Dr David Martill, of the University of Portsmouth.

Their ability to utilise air currents, thermals and ground effects would astonish aeroplane designers, he said.

"Pterosaurs were beautifully engineered," he told BBC News.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

They may have been beautifully engineered, but they wouldn't necessarily have won any prehistoric beauty contests:
    Attached Files
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

18m? That's big.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I wouldn't want to cross such a thing.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

And as always with these "reconstructions" the colours are entirely products of imagination. Quite a monster anyway.
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by laurentius
          And as always with these "reconstructions" the colours are entirely products of imagination. Quite a monster anyway.

I think the artist was a fan of Guinness:
          Attached Files
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

To the first pic - wouldn't it a better sign for beautiful engineering if those teeth were inside his jaw? I mean where the food is when he eats it?

No wonder they died out, because of hunger I guess.
              Blah

Comment

Those teeth were for snagging prey, not chewing.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Bah, I still think my theory's right.
                  Blah

Comment

That maw looks a bit like a croc's.

Crocs don't chew, either, they grab a big bite, than spin around in water to rip the flesh off.

I don't know if these beasties did the same thing. They don't seem like built for that sort of thing, though.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I agree with Che. They're probably used to grab fish along the surface of water.

I can't remember which documentary it was, but there was a group of scientists trying to make a model of a pterosaur in order to simulate its method of flying. I think it was a David Attenborough doc.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

just like a stainer

water leaks out...walla- - nothing but fish
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

"Pterosaurs were beautifully engineered,"
                          ZOMFG INTELLIGENT DESIGN!!@!@!@!1111

I KNEW IT!
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
                            X