Decent webcam software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent webcam software

My parents are obsessed with using a webcam to communicate with friends and relatives. Problem is -- they are doing it over MSN, and it's flaky as hell. I have all the right ports unblocked on my router, and it still degenerates into fifteen minute sessions of "Can you hear me now? Can you see me now? I am not getting your invitation. Do you see my invitation? Click on the invitation. No, no, no. You are using Windows Messenger. Switch to MSN Messenger.[0]" that drive me up the wall.

Is there any webcam software for Windows that actually works? MSN is ****e, and I don't know any others.

Skype and Google Talk handle audio brilliantly, so surely there's something for video. I'd use iChat, but Apple in its wisdom neglected to release a Windows version.

Thanks.

[0] Why the heck doesn't MSN Messenger, you know, remove Windows Messenger on installation? At least, the impression I am getting is that it doesn't.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Have you tried Yahoo Messenger? Both that and MSN worked for me as far as video goes, although I never used it for an extended period of time.

Comment

I use MSN all the time for video conversations and it works perfectly (mostly).

But how are they starting the conversation? If you do an audio conversation + webcam (starting them separately) the audio quality is lousy and the video shaky. If you start a video conversation both are much better.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

I also use MSN all the time for video conversations without issue.

User error, or bad router is my guess.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If you're not an 18yr old hot female you don't need a webcam.

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
            If you're not an 18yr old hot female you don't need a webcam.
            a/s/l ?

Comment

It's funny, how everone in a chatroom without a cam is '18 F California' etc... while those with a cam is '58 M Ohio'.
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
              X