No announcement yet.

Turkey (So Long & Goodnight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is Skopje spelt on that ethnic map? Looks like 'Shtiplie'.

The Albanians make an etymological claim to that city as 'Shqipje' being derived from 'Shqiptar', as Kosovo Albanians call themselves. Ironically though, by the same token Kosovo has no meaning in Albanian, being a Serbian name.

Also, I think the date is 1910, rather than 1923, so several wars and border changes in that time.

Comment

• The whole agument over Macedonia reminds me of why nationalism sucks. An intresting thing I read is that Germans whose surname ends in -off are probably decended from a germanized Slav.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin
        The whole agument over Macedonia reminds me of why nationalism sucks. An intresting thing I read is that Germans whose surname ends in -off are probably decended from a germanized Slav.
        -Ov, -ev, -ova, -ovna, -eva, -evna, -ow, -off, etc. are slavic endings meaning son of_____, or in the case of those ending in a daughter of _____. So Petrov means son of Petr (Peter), while Petrova is the daughter of Petr. As various slavic tongues were romanized across a wide area over a long period of time, there are a wide variety of spellings.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
        X